Login |  Register

Post subject: Spock's Beard
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:50 am 
Registered Rushaholic
Nick D'Virgilio leaving the band.

November 18, 2011
The time has come.

It is very hard for me to write this, but as all good things come to an end at sometime or another, unfortunately I have to tell you all that my time with Spock’s Beard has come to a close.

As you may or may not know, for almost 2 years now I have been working for Cirque Du Soleil on the touring show TOTEM. Traveling a bit of the globe with my family on an adventure that has been great, but also very tough. Great because I am finally able to fully support my family with this very unstable life I chose as a musician, but also very tough because this job has made it hard to do other things and the main thing is Spock’s Beard.

For the first time in 20 years I had to miss shows when the band played a few festivals this past summer. Needless to say it was very, very strange not being there. I have been trying to land a permanent resident show for next year which would leave me a little more time to tour with SB but that has not happened yet and I don’t know when exactly that will happen. I recently signed for another year with Cirque because I cannot just get up and quit until something else can takes its place. I am sure you all understand that I have to take care of my main responsibility and that is my family. Spock’s Beard has never been the main money maker for me, or any of the other guys in the band. We have always had to do other things to supplement our incomes and for me now the other thing just happens to be Cirque.

The Spock’s guys want to keep moving forward and it is just Murphy’s Law for SB that everyone else is totally available to tour at the moment and I am not. For many years, I was available for anything but we couldn’t tour as much as we wanted because of other schedules. Now with my job it doesn’t look like I am going to be available anytime soon. I totally understand where the guys are coming from, wanting to tour and make new albums and I have too much respect for them and SB to say that they cannot keep going without me. The guys are eager to keep the ball rolling, and as hard as that is to imagine without me I give them my blessing fully and wish them nothing but the best in whatever they do.

I have had the best time and have made some of the best music of my career with Dave, Al, Ryo, and Neal and will take those memories with me for the rest of my life.

This is not to say that I will never play with the guys again. If all of the stars align in future and I can do something I surely will but for now the guys will be going on without me and I humbly ask all of you SB fans that have been nothing short of amazing, to keep the flame burning for them.

SO for my future, even with the crazy schedule of my Cirque job I have still been able to release a new solo EP “PIECES” recently and even did some solo shows. Those things are easier for me to do because I can do those within the areas that I am living at the time and I am planning on many more solo gigs in the future so keep an eye and ear out for those announcements. I will be going back to London at the beginning of 2012 with Cirque and during that time I will be able to get back down to Rob Aubrey’s studio to do some more sessions with the great BIG BIG TRAIN and even try and finish a project that got started a number of years ago now called “PULSE” with Mike Holmes of IQ fame. I am also writing a lot for more solo music of my own.

Thank you to my family. Your support has been my rock for many years now, I know that will always be there and I am so thankful for that.

Thank you to all of the great guys who have crewed for SB over the years and have gone way beyond the call of duty to get us on and off stage. Especially Rob, Olly, and Tommy. I will for sure miss touring with you guys.

Thank you to the promoters and venues that have opened up their stages to us.

Thank you Jimmy Keegan for holding down the fort while I was up front and kickin ass for SB over the years.

Thank you to all of my amazing endorsement companies.

In closing, THANK YOU to all of the Spock’s Beard fans out there who have given us so much amazing and heart felt support over the years. We could not have done it without you all. It has been an amazing journey for me and I will never ever forget the great times we have shared together.

It’s time for a change…

Nick

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Spock's Beard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:52 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Well, that blows.

It really is a shame that even quality musicians these days can't make enough money to concentrate on their music unless they also get involved with side commercial ventures... commercials, movie scores, jingles, radio ads, Broadway musicals, etc.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:44 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
Neal Morse will be on the next Spock's Beard album, which is being worked on as we speak. Neal is helping out with some writing, and I guess playing too. I know he wrote stuff for the last album "X", but I think he has more of a hand in the writing of the album this time around

just rejoin the band already...PLEASE !!!!

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:57 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
nappy2112 wrote:
Neal Morse will be on the next Spock's Beard album, which is being worked on as we speak. Neal is helping out with some writing, and I guess playing too. I know he wrote stuff for the last album "X", but I think he has more of a hand in the writing of the album this time around

just rejoin the band already...PLEASE !!!!

Take it anyway you can get it, bro... A little Morse code on the next album is AOK with me, no matter what pretext they want to use. :tup

:BB Steve

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
Adding to list of big names coming next year is Spock's Beard, whose anticipated new album, the first without drummer/singer Nick D'Vriglio, is arriving next March.

Pre-orders are to start November 30th, 2012 and more info will be posted then.

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
InsideOut Music 20th Anniversary Presents Spocks Beard on tour with support from Beardfish and Sound of Contact
InsideOut Music's 20th Anniversary is extremely proud to present the European tour from progressive-rock legends Spock's Beard, who recently announce the release of their brand new studio album 'Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep'. Joining the band on this tour will be Swedish prog quartet Beardfish and Sound of Contact, the new band featuring Simon Collins and Dave Kerzner. Spock's Beard had this to say about the tour package:
"We are really looking forward to coming back to Europe and playing our new music. The combination of Spock's Beard, Sound of Contact and Beardfish promises to be really strong and entertaining for our fans!"

The tour dates can be found below:

May 2013 European Tour Dates
Spock's Beard
Beardfish, Sound of Contact
(G/S/A dates presented by: ROCK HARD, ECLIPSED & Dragon Productions

2.05.2013 Spirit of 66 - Verviers, Belgium
3.05.2013 Corporation - Sheffield, UK
4.05.2013 The Arches - Glasgow, UK
5.05.2013 Academy 2 - Newcastle, UK
6.05.2013 Robin 2 - Bilston, UK
7.05.2013 The Garage - London, UK
8.05.2013 La Scene Bastille - Paris, France
9.05.2013 Z7 - Pratteln, Czech Republic
10.05.2013 Hirsch - Nürnberg, Germany
11.05.2013 Majestic - Bratislava, Slovakia
12.05.2013 A38 - Budapest, Hungary
14.05.2013 Szene - Vienna, Switzerland
15.05.2013 Colos-Saal - Aschaffenburg, Germany
16.05.2013 Das Rind - Rüsselsheim, Germany
17.05.2013 Zeche - Bochum, Germany
18.05.2013 De Boerderij - Zoetermeer, Netherlands
19.05.2013 Markthalle - Hamburg, Germany

Spock's Beard's new studio album marks the recording debut of long-time live drummer Jimmy Keegan, and vocalist / guitarist Ted Leonard (Enchant, Thought Chamber). It also sees the return of one familiar name to the song-writing credits, that of Neal Morse who has co-written two tracks after having left the band way back in 2002.

Last year Beardfish released their most recent album The Void, an album which saw Prog Magazine describe them as 'one of the very finest that modern progressive rock has to offer.' It also saw the band go on a well-received European tour with supergroup Flying Colours, and play to some of their largest audiences. Principal song-writer Rikard Sjöblom had this to say about the upcoming dates:

We hadn't heard of Spock's Beard when we started in 2001 (and named our band Beardfish...), but I remember someone asking if they were a big influence and if that's where we got the name from(this question has been asked a million times since then) so I listened to "Beware of Darkness" and "V" and thought "wow, they must have listened to the same stuff we have!". Still, they had their own sound and fantastic musicianship (I mean: Ryo and Alan, come on!) and seeing some live clips I saw a band that had a lot of fun on stage which has always been what Beardfish is about too. We're really excited to get back on the road and feel that this will be a great triple combo, or as our bass player Robert put it: "You'll have two Beards with Sound Of Contact in your ears"... See you in May!

Sound Of Contact is the new brainchild of Simon Collins and Dave Kerzner, who were both recently seen contributing to Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited 2 album. The band have finished work on their debut album, and this tour will see them debuting the material live to audiences in Europe for the first time.
The band comments:
"We're honored to be part of the upcoming Spock's Beard European InsideOutMusic tour, says Simon Collins, lead singer and drummer of the new progressive rock band "Sound of Contact". "It's an exciting and perfect opportunity for us to present the music off our debut album 'Dimensionaut" in Europe!"

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Nappy... I regret to inform you that you have exceeded your daily facial hair quota with this post.

Gary -50 points.

Bildo... I regret to inform you that you have exceeded for your facial hair quota with your actual facial hair.

Bill -100 points.

Regretfully, I must add an additional fine for copyright infringement upon the various aforementioned "Beard" bands.

Bill -200 points.

Regretfully, I must also add an additional fine for previously having subjecting us all to pictures of said facial hair.

Bill -1,000 points.

Regretfully, I must also add an additional fine for having hijacking Gary's informative thread with the images of said facial hair, which are now permanently seared into the minds (and retinas) of the unsuspecting victims of those images.

Bill -5,000 points.

Regretfully, I must also add an additional fine for punitive damages and pain and suffering.

Bill -25,000 points.

Regretfully, I must also add an additional fine for making me attempt to add up all these fines up on a Sunday.

Bill -50,000 points.

For the sake of simplicity, let's just round that up to a nice even number...

Bill -10,000,000 points.

:BB The Beard Police

PS ~ I must admit, I feel a little guilty about having handed out all these fines.

Gary - You sentence has been suspended and no points have been deducted from your account.

Never let it be said that Lord RockHard the Magnificent is not a merciful and just god. 8)

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Just for that, the next time I find some food in my beard, you ain't getting any!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Just for that, the next time I find some food in my beard, you ain't getting any!

That's alright. I prefer to drink my lunch anyway. :wink:

I have to take a little hit on points myself. Way back when, when Napster started talking about these guys, they sounded like a must-have band for proggies. So I did. To the tune of 10 albums... that I've never gotten around to listening to. At all. Not a note. :oops:

I think I may have hit a couple of the 30-second snippets on Amazon when I was buying them, but that's about it. Definite "duh" moment.

RockHard: -1,000 points.

For being a moron. Even by my buy 'em, rip 'em to MP3 and forget 'em standards.

I am putting them on to give them a spin... right now. Starting with "Beware Of Darkness."

:BB "Beware Of Dumbasses"... :headsmack:

PS ~ Two songs in... Can you say Yes, boys and girls? I knew you could. So I guess it's Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe and Spock.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top