Post subject: Re: Foreigner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:50 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:24 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
According to the New York Post, FOREIGNER guitarist Mick Jones underwent aortoiliac bypass surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami beach, Florida on Monday and "already up and walking around." The procedure involves using a shunt to unite the aorta and iliac artery to relieve obstruction. "The surgery was more urgent because Mick had needed it for some time," a source said.

Jones, 67, missed some of the shows on FOREIGNER's 2011 tour with JOURNEY and NIGHT RANGER due to illness. He was temporarily replaced at various shows by NIGHT RANGER guitarist Joel Joekstra and former ROD STEWART axeman Bruce Watson.

FOREIGNER's last studio album, "Can't Slow Down", came out in 2009.

The band is scheduled to hit the road for another round of U.S. dates on March 1.

Even though FOREIGNER has never fallen into the category of "critics' darlings," Mick Jones told The Pulse Of Radio that the band's album sales and ticket receipts prove that FOREIGNER has always struck the right chord with fans. "How can you complain about people listening, and hearing, and your music reaching so many people?" he said. "I think it's wonderful. It's a great achievement to have these songs having stood the test of time like this, you know, and getting the amount of play they still do."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
"The surgery was more urgent because Mick had needed it for some time," a source said.

I know this is a serious post, but...

He said... URGENT URGENT URGENT

:gig:

:BB Juke Box Hero

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 am 
Metal God
Favorite Band: Queensryche?
Will get to see them play at the NASCAR race in a few weeks. Haven't seen them in a few years. Looking forward to it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
destroyer67 wrote:
Will get to see them play at the NASCAR race in a few weeks. Haven't seen them in a few years. Looking forward to it.

What?! They're-a gonna let some foreigners in a NASCAR event? They took r' jobs!!!!!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:21 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Eagle Rock Entertainment has set a May 29 release date for FOREIGNER's "Alive & Rockin'", recorded at one of Europe's most popular hard rock fests, the 2006 Bang Your Head!!! festival in Balingen, Germany. This nine-track concert, previously released on DVD only (Eagle Rock Entertainment) is now available for the first time on CD.

"My initial musical vision for FOREIGNER was to combine blues and R&B with British rock and make it sound soulful and authentic," says guitarist Mick Jones. "I'd grown up in England and had the English influence but I was also inspired by many elements of American music from Mississippi blues to country. FOREIGNER was the vehicle to get that musical blend across."

That "blend" was never more evident than on this rockin' night as Jones — with vocalist Kelly Hansen, drummer Jason Bonham, keyboardist Jeff Jacobs, multi-instrumentalist Tom Gimbel (guitars, saxophone, flute) and bassist Jeff Pilson — knocked out a crowd-pleasing set that included eight U.S. Top 20 hits including anthems "Juke Box Hero", "Cold As Ice" and "Hot Blooded".

This most beloved of classic rock bands has been serving up the hits for over 30 years. With over 70 million records sold worldwide, they're second only to LED ZEPPELIN on the Atlantic Records roster in total album sales. Jones, producer of 10 of FOREIGNER's multi-platinum albums, has composed some of the most memorable riffs in rock history. After forming SPOOKY TOOTH with Gary Wright in the early 1970s, he left his native England to move to New York in 1976 and formed FOREIGNER.

"Alive & Rockin'" track listing:

01. Double Vision
02. Head Games
03. Dirty White Boy
04. Cold As Ice
05. Starrider
06. Feels Like The First Time
07. Urgent
08. Juke Box Hero / Whole Lotta Love
09. Hot Blooded

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
This most beloved of classic rock bands has been serving up the hits for over 30 years. With over 70 million records sold worldwide, they're second only to LED ZEPPELIN on the Atlantic Records roster in total album sales.

There's an interesting little factoid... well, at least to me anyway. :P

With all the legendary artists Atlantic has had over the years, I don't think too many people would have suspected Foreigner as being the first runner-up sales-wise. Hell, everyone knows they were popular... but 70 million discs? Wow. :shock:

:BB Dirty Rich Boys

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
RockHard wrote:
bildo wrote:
This most beloved of classic rock bands has been serving up the hits for over 30 years. With over 70 million records sold worldwide, they're second only to LED ZEPPELIN on the Atlantic Records roster in total album sales.

There's an interesting little factoid... well, at least to me anyway. :P

With all the legendary artists Atlantic has had over the years, I don't think too many people would have suspected Foreigner as being the first runner-up sales-wise. Hell, everyone knows they were popular... but 70 million discs? Wow. :shock:

:BB Dirty Rich Boys

I sure wouldn't have guessed it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Speaking of which:

Reigning NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart surprised FOREIGNER's leader and founder Mick Jones when he presented him with three platinum and one gold award for sales of FOREIGNER's hit singles "I Want To Know What Love Is", "Waiting For A Girl Like You", "Hot Blooded" and "Juke Box Hero" during Thursday night's Texas Motorsports Hall Of Fame gala at Texas Motor Speedway. A new millennium testament to the current value of these classic hits is that more than half of the sales that contributed to the awards were digital downloads registered since 2004.

In addition to the platinum and gold awards, Jones added another on the evening that recognized FOREIGNER's generosity toward Speedway Children's Charities-Texas Chapter. Speedway Children's Charities, which put on the Hall Of Fame fundraiser, presented Jones on behalf of FOREIGNER with the Maj. General Thomas Sadler Award. The award is given for humanitarian efforts that go above and beyond to assist Speedway Children's Charities in their mission to assist children in North Texas.

"It was a tremendous surprise to have Mick on hand to accept the Maj. General Thomas Sadler Award," Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage said. "FOREIGNER has appeared at more NASCAR-related events than any other top classic rock band and has been a generous friend to Speedway Children's Charities. Just earlier this week they did a benefit acoustic concert for them. Tony's presentation of the three platinum and one gold award to Mick was quite a treat for the Hall Of Fame audience and Texas Motor Speedway. I was particularly delighted to see FOREIGNER's 'Hot Blooded' get the platinum recognition it deserved, especially since Texas Motor Speedway has a unique 'No Limits' version of 'Hot Blooded' as its theme for the entire 2012 season."

Mick, who wrote "Feels Like The First Time", "I Want To Know What Love Is" and co-wrote and co-produced every FOREIGNER hit, made the journey to Texas while recovering from his recent arterial leg surgery. "I hope to be back in the saddle soon, but nothing could keep me away from this event!" said Mick, "It is a thrill for us to be part of the NASCAR firmament and a particular honor to have one of my personal heroes, Tony Stewart, present us with these awards. Our race day appearances started right here at the Texas Motor Speedway in the spring of 2009, and they have become a highlight in our touring season. NASCAR fans are our kind of people."

"Juke Box Hero" is the band's first all-digital sales award.

FOREIGNER has nine RIAA-certified (Recording Industry Association Of America) platinum and multi platinum awards. "Foreigner", "Double Vision", "Head Games", "4", "Agent Provocateur", "Inside Information", "Records", "The Very Best… And Beyond" and "Complete Greatest Hits" have all been certified. Now these three singles are added to FOREIGNER's platinum tally.

"FOREIGNER has some of the most enduring songs in the history of rock music, so it's no surprise that these legendary tracks continue to have success in the digital world," said Kevin Gore, President & CEO of Rhino Entertainment. "Mick Jones' songwriting and production have combined to create lasting music that still resonates with new audiences every year. I suspect we'll see more FOREIGNER hits achieving similar certifications very soon."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Mick, who wrote "Feels Like The First Time", "I Want To Know What Love Is" and co-wrote and co-produced every FOREIGNER hit, made the journey to Texas while recovering from his recent arterial leg surgery. "I hope to be back in the saddle soon, but nothing could keep me away from this event!" said Mick

Wow. He rides horses too?

bildo wrote:
"It is a thrill for us to be part of the NASCAR firmament and a particular honor to have one of my personal heroes, Tony Stewart, present us with these awards. Our race day appearances started right here at the Texas Motor Speedway in the spring of 2009, and they have become a highlight in our touring season. NASCAR fans are our kind of people."

The fact that he used a term like "firmament" makes me wonder if Tony Stewart is really one of his personal heroes... or if NASCAR fans are really their kind of people. :lol:

:BB Rev On The Red(neck) Line

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:30 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Original lead singer and songwriter of FOREIGNER, Lou Gramm is ready to tell his story. In "Juke Box Hero: My Five Decades In Rock 'N' Roll", due out May 1 from Triumph Books, Gramm details his rise from humble, working-class roots in Rochester, New York to become one of rock 'n' roll's most distinctive and popular voices.

Throughout "Juke Box Hero: My Five Decades In Rock 'N' Roll", Gramm poignantly recounts how he realized his dream. Sadly, though, like many of his contemporaries, the singer would succumb to the trappings of wealth and fame. FOREIGNER's remarkable success was due in large part to the songwriting synergy between Gramm and the band's founder, Mick Jones. However, creative clashes between the two would become more frequent and the tension would result in Gramm's departure, not once but twice, the second time for good.

But the singer's recounting of his life is also is a story of redemption. In the early 1990s, he finally confronted his demons and checked into a drug rehabilitation center for a month. He came out a changed man and has remained sober ever since.

Several years later, Gramm faced an even bigger challenge when diagnosed with an egg-sized brain tumor. After being given a death sentence by several physicians, he learned of a then-revolutionary laser surgery being done by a doctor in Boston. Gramm underwent a life-saving operation to remove the tumor and then courageously battled through radiation treatments and several harrowing years of rehab.

Other "Juke Box Hero: My Five Decades In Rock 'N' Roll" highlights include:

* Gramm's difficult, courageous comeback from brain surgery. Just several months after his operation, he was contractually required to tour with FOREIGNER and dealt with memory problems that forced him to keep written lyrics at his feet — lyrics from songs he had helped write and had sung thousands of times before.
* The musical influence of Gramm's father, a trumpeter who ran a big band, and his mother, who was a vocalist in the band.
* How much the music industry has changed and how difficult it is for heritage rockers to get their new material out there.
* Working with best-selling author Scott Pitoniak (nationally honored newspaper columnist and author of 16 books), Gramm recounts his extraordinary life in this compelling and candid behind-the-scenes memoir.

"Juke Box Hero: My Five Decades In Rock 'N' Roll" will be available at www.triumphbooks.com and wherever books are sold.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to Ultimate Classic Rock, FOREIGNER's Mick Jones (pictured below) recalled producing VAN HALEN's first album without David Lee Roth, 1986's "5150". Jones remembered the first day of sessions at Eddie Van Halen's studio back in 1985, saying, "[Sammy Hagar] picked me up at the hotel and we were driving up to Eddie's studio and we were talking about the old days and finally he said, 'I've got to tell you Mick, all of that was wild and crazy and all of that sort of thing,' but he said, 'We are just about to walk into another dimension of that. . . I wasn't going to tell you earlier, but you'd better get ready for some crazy shit now." I went, 'Whoa . . . ' and I'd been around and seen a lot, you know. But it was pretty crazy up there. It lived up to its title."

He went on to explain, "It was a challenge, because they had a lot of the stuff that they had been writing and it was a new writing partnership with Sammy and Eddie and they were just coming down from the split with David Lee Roth. It was a big time. . . a lot of different things were happening and a lot of emotions were flying around. It was kind of exciting [but] it was [also] scary, thinking, 'Well, what can I do for this band?'

Jones, who produced all of the FOREIGNER hits, shed some light on what he added to the VAN HALEN sound, which in the past had been firmly in the hands of longtime producer Ted Templeman. "I worked a lot on the arrangements and the vocal performances and helping [them] just to find the melodies a bit, especially on 'Dreams' and 'Love Walks In'," he said. "I put my advice and my suggestions in where I felt they merited them. I don't know if you could have gone in with an approach of, 'Oh, I want to change all of this,' which I think would have been disastrous. But I worked on the sound quite a bit."

Mick Jones told The Pulse Of Radio that unlike many of his peers, as a producer, he's happily embraced the world of Pro Tools and computer technology, but still has an ear for recording certain tracks live. "Y'know, all the drums were recorded live in the room," he said. "At a certain point there was no point in resisting any [laughs] longer, y'know? I was part of the wave, I think, that saw and paid for all this incredible [recording] equipment that was developed through the '80s and the '90s, and then basically see it shrunk down into these little computers. And, y'know, everything that I used to do is available, pretty much. And the crux for me is really to have live drums, and live guitar, y'know recorded in the room when it's necessary."

On June 13, Mick Jones and Lou Gramm will reunite for their induction into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame, marking the first time the pair has performed together in a decade when Gramm left FOREIGNER for a second time.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:44 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Although their split was among the most bitter in rock, on Thursday night (June 13), FOREIGNER co-founders Mick Jones and Lou Gramm will share a stage to perform at their induction into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. The Hall's 44th annual induction and awards dinner and gala will be once again be held at Manhattan's Marriott Marquis Hotel. The performance will mark the first time the pair has seen one another in three years and the first time they've made music together in a decade.

With Mick Jones recently undergoing extensive open heart surgery and Lou Gramm battling back against a non-malignant brain tumor, the two rockers — who once fought like blood brothers — have both mellowed at the thought of their songwriting team being immortalized. Mick Jones told The Pulse Of Radio that he's looking forward to every aspect of reconnecting with Lou Gramm on Thursday. "Y'know, the main thing for me is that we both feel that same way, we're both happy for each other and its a wonderful achievement and it'll mean. . . it's one of the most meaningful things that'll happen in our lifetime for us," he said.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:21 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
I watched the Behind the Music with Foreigner and it was pretty interesting. They had a great first album but after that I didn't care for them..songs like Jukebox Hero and Dirty White Boy make me cringe. :barf:

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Although their split was among the most bitter in rock, on Thursday night (June 13), FOREIGNER co-founders Mick Jones and Lou Gramm will share a stage to perform at their induction into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. The Hall's 44th annual induction and awards dinner and gala will be once again be held at Manhattan's Marriott Marquis Hotel. The performance will mark the first time the pair has seen one another in three years and the first time they've made music together in a decade.

With Mick Jones recently undergoing extensive open heart surgery and Lou Gramm battling back against a non-malignant brain tumor, the two rockers — who once fought like blood brothers — have both mellowed at the thought of their songwriting team being immortalized. Mick Jones told The Pulse Of Radio that he's looking forward to every aspect of reconnecting with Lou Gramm on Thursday. "Y'know, the main thing for me is that we both feel that same way, we're both happy for each other and its a wonderful achievement and it'll mean. . . it's one of the most meaningful things that'll happen in our lifetime for us," he said.

I would have liked to have seen that one. Lou's voice is a bit less-than-stellar at this point, but it'd still be cool to see the reunion.

nappy2112 wrote:
I watched the Behind the Music with Foreigner and it was pretty interesting. They had a great first album but after that I didn't care for them..songs like Jukebox Hero and Dirty White Boy make me cringe. :barf:

Well, we're polar opposites there, Gary. I loved everything they did in the 80s and 90s. I even liked the poppier stuff and the album they did with Johnny Edwards on the mic... "Unusual Heat."

It's funny... Despite having a new vocalist with a pretty stellar set of pipes (Kelly Hansen), they've only done that one album since Gramm left for the second time ("Can't Slow Down"). I liked the covers/rerecording disc on that one more than the album of original tunes. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong... but it didn't have quite the same vibe. The only difference is the absence of Gramm in the songwriting process.

I'd have to say Foreigner ranks up their in my top 5 radio rock bands... and the songwriting team of Jones and Gramm ranks right up there with the best of all time. I checked Wikipedia (caveat emptor, granted)... The sales totals are just south of 80 million albums. It's kind of like my Taterhead/QR post earlier... a lot of rockers may want to act like they didn't like Foreigner... but someone was buying all those damn records. :lol:

I guess you just weren't one of them. Blasphemer. :roll:

Just teasing, bro... :lol: Different strokes, I guess. :B

Incidentally, I came across an album I wasn't aware of a month or so ago while grabbing a pile of CDs out of the $5 bin at Wally World (as you might have guessed, I nearly gave myself a hernia walking to the registers :lmao:). It was called "Acoustique"... Stupid name aside, it's yet another covers/rerecording disc (obviously all acoustic this time). It is out-friggin-standing, IMHO. Hansen's vocals are excellent and those songs still hold up. There's just something about those tunes. I think they'd kick ass even with me singing them from my studio in the shower. :P

:BB Feels Like The First Time

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top