Login |  Register

Post subject: Screamin' Jay Hawkins
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:30 pm 
Metal Fan
Favorite Band: Alice Cooper
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - any other fans out there?

Personally I think he is totally unappreciated and overlooked, despite giving so much to music. Not many people can be scary and funny, and WHAT A VOICE!

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:50 am 
Metal Fan
not even remotely metal.

My CD Collection

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:12 am 
Metal Fan
So?

He himself may not be, but he influenced a massive portion of the metal genre. Metal comes from the blues - he was a blues singer. Metal comes from rock and roll - he sang rock and roll. He invented theatrics and props on stage, which influenced the likes of Alice Cooper and Kiss. He invented the whole scare factor, which influenced Alice, Sabbath, people like Manson, all these who try to scare their audience.
No one screamed like that on record before he did. He was a forerunner for going all out with the vocals, something which is a very important part of metal.

And what's more, this section of the board doesn't say it has to be metal greats. Hell, Elton is on here, why not Jay?

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:36 am 
Metal Fan
Carol King sang rock and roll too. I think we should discuss the merits of her Tapestry LP and how it influenced KISS' Love Gun LP. ;) (just kidding, relax).

Personally, I think there should be a section for non-metal.

My CD Collection

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:43 pm 
Now, now, now...

I happen to own Tapestry by Carol King. You're So Far Away and It's Too Late are excellent songs! I'm 100% serious.

I think it is only natural for people who love quality music to find their passion leading them into different genres. Of course, rap would be the exception to the rule. :wink:

Screaming Jay Hawkins was that old black man who dressed as Dracula and sang from inside of a casket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:05 pm 
Metal Fan
Tapestry is a fantastic LP!

My CD Collection

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:23 am 
Metal Fan
Quote:
Screaming Jay Hawkins was that old black man who dressed as Dracula and sang from inside of a casket?

He did have the casket, but he dressed up as a tribesman or voodoo witch doctor usually, which enraged America at the time. The white population hated him because he was black, and the blacks hated him because they thought he was disrespecting their ancestry with songs about cannibalism, voodoo, spells etc. I Put A Spell On You was his only hit and even that didn't chart! But I think most of you will agree that it is a very important song in music history - almost everyone knows at least one version of it.

By the 80s there were about 28 different version floating around by different people. Jay's is the best though, because everone else (with the exception of Arthur Brown) took it too seriously, and the song lost it's power. Jay's made him sound demented with a crazed desire for his lost love to return to him and he would do anything to get that to happen. In fact, it was banned, with the excuse that the snorting noises Jay was making were references to canibalism.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:15 pm 
While I do not care for Screamin' Jay's vocal stylings, I can understand why others might. He was an interesting character, especially for the times.

I found this picture of him and realized why I mistakenly thought he used to dress up as Dracula; it's the cape!

[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/chalice11/jay3.jpg[/img]

The skull in his hand and bone through his nose in most of the other pictures I saw would be more indicative of a voodoo priest of some sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:53 pm 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
woooooooooooooooo so good! thanks for the heads up on him coop :)

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:51 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
thecoop wrote:
I Put A Spell On You was his only hit and even that didn't chart! But I think most of you will agree that it is a very important song in music history - almost everyone knows at least one version of it.

By the 80s there were about 28 different version floating around by different people. Jay's is the best though, because everone else (with the exception of Arthur Brown) took it too seriously, and the song lost it's power. Jay's made him sound demented with a crazed desire for his lost love to return to him and he would do anything to get that to happen. In fact, it was banned, with the excuse that the snorting noises Jay was making were references to canibalism.

Bands from CCR to Marilyn Manson covered that tune... If that doesn't show the influence of Screamin' Jay, nothing does... :twisted:

Cheers...
Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top