Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Jon Lord
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:55 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Guitarist Mick Box of progressive rockers URIAH HEEP has released the following statement regarding the passing of former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord:

"I was truly shocked to hear that Jon Lord had passed away. Jon was one of the all-time great rock keyboard players and composers, and he had the most amazing Hammond organ sound ever.

"I have known Jon for many years dating back to the late '60s, and he was always the perfect gentleman, and great company.

"The musical world has lost a giant, and his contribution to rock music will live on forever.

"When people have asked me who was my favourite keyboard player, his name was always first on my lips."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:31 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Original WHITESNAKE guitarist Bernie Marsden (pictured below) has released the following statement regarding the passing of former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord:

"June and July have been very busy, but all has been brought back to base with the loss of my great friend and colleague Jon Lord on Monday 16th July. Jon Lord was to many millions of people THE keyboard player in the great days of DEEP PURPLE, and so he was. But he was so much more than a musician.

"I first met the great man in 1976; I was auditioning for a gig with his new band PAICE, ASHTON AND LORD. I had seen the demise of PURPLE, attending gigs with both Ritchie [Blackmore] and Tommy Bolin, and so when I received a call from Cozy Powell regarding the new band I went for it. I went to an old cinema in West London, owned by ELP, Manticore. There I was ushered into a waiting room with about a dozen other guitar players, that story is not for this time, but is of interest.

"I entered the heady world of DPO, Jon was waiting in the room, smiling, strong handshake and a grin when he said, 'You do exist then.' I had been rather slow in following Cozy's instructions, ouch! Ian Paice was a few feet away, raised his hand to say hello, Tony Ashton was opposite Jon, two keyboards set up, and one was Jon Lord, now I knew this was going to be different.

"I had been listening to the guitar players going in before me, all pretty much trying to be Ritchie Blackmore, and failing! I thought I was on the right track when we played 'How Long' by Ace, Ian knew the groove, I sang it and Jon said to begin, after a couple of verses Jon stopped the proceedings. He came over to me and asked me to show him the changes in the bridge of the song, the great Jon Lord asking me to show him. I state this to show what a man he was, he could have worked out, probably had already, knew the changes backwards, but by asking me he instilled huge confidence in me.

"I played a lot of rhythm guitar, waiting for a nod from Jon to solo, took my time and tried to be as cool as I could. Bear in mind I am playing with Jon, and Ian Paice, this was quite a definitive moment for me. We played another couple of grooves, Ian came over and introduced himself, and Ashton kissed me on the forehead!

"Jon just smiled, said 'thank you for coming down' and that I would be hearing from them. He asked me if I knew any DEEP PURPLE songs, I thought I was about to lose the gig, I said, 'Not really, I know a bit of 'Dance On The Water'.' He looked me in the eye, 'Smoke On The Water'.' he said, 'Sorry,' I said. They did call the next day.

"Jon Lord, great musician, raconteur, writer, funny, intelligent, gifted, family man, friend for life.

"Love to Vicky, Amy and Sara Lord.

"Rest in peace, my friend."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:33 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Yep. I heard the day it happened.

At least he went out like he wanted to... with tour dates still scheduled playing the orchestral stuff he seemed to love.

RIP, Sir. You are a legend. :B

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:52 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Legendary DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord always wanted a studio recording of his famed Concerto For Group And Orchestra. Only recently did he publicly make this wish a reality. In what turned out to be his swan song, he assembled guest musicians such as IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson, Joe Bonamassa (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION) and DEEP PURPLE guitarist Steve Morse at the Abbey Road Studios to work with his trusted partner, director Paul Mann, on the 2012 version of the legendary concert.

"Over these last years since leaving DEEP PURPLE, I've played it over 30 times with different orchestras and conductors all over the world, and, of course, in 2000 I did it well over 30 times with PURPLE on the Concerto tour, so I've been honing the piece live on stage and I've had the opportunity to change things in the score that weren't sounding quite right," Lord said in a May 2011 interview. "It is therefore a marvelous and exciting prospect to have the definitive recording of the definitive version of the score."

He added, "I'm thrilled to have the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic on board. I have immensely enjoyed working with them on several occasions since recording Durham Concerto with them in 2007. They are a wonderful group of players, and with Paul Mann conducting — a dear friend and a man who knows the score inside out — there couldn't be a better conductor and orchestra for this studio recording of the Concerto."

On July 16, Lord passed away in London at the age of 71. This album is a joyful testament of a great musician and fantastic man.

"His dignity and graciousness touched us all," the surviving members of DEEP PURPLE said in a statement following Lord's passing. "His music was an inspiration and took us to places beyond our imagination… A truly great man. We humbly express our eternal love and great respect."

Jon Lord's Concerto For Group And Orchestra will be released on September 25 via Eagle Rock Entertainment.

The track listing is as follows:

01. Movement One
02. Movement Two
03. Movement Three

Profile  Offline

Topic Top