Login |  Register

Post subject: Jon Lord
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
According to JonLord.org, former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord will release his next album, "To Notice Such Things", on March 22 through Avie Records.

Titled after the main work — a six movement suite for solo flute, piano and string orchestra — the album was inspired by, and is dedicated to the memory of Jon's dear friend Sir John Mortimer, the English barrister, dramatist, screenwriter, author and creator of British television series "Rumpole of The Bailey", who died in January 2009.

"He was a great friend and a great inspiration to me and I hope my love and respect for him comes out in the music," says Jon.

"A few weeks after he passed away, I was offered a commission to write a piece for solo flute and strings — a flute concerto in essence. At first I turned it down because I thought there wasn't enough time, but after a couple of days of thought, I realized that I had these three little pieces for flute and piano that I had written for the theater shows that I used to do with Sir John, and I thought that they might provide the basis for this 'flute concerto' and that I could write in his memory.

"John and I became friends about 12 years ago. A couple of years later he asked if I would be interested in playing the piano and writing a bit of music for him, for his theater shows — Mortimer's Miscellany — during which he sat on the stage and, accompanied by two actresses, a pianist and a flute player, he read poetry and prose, told stories and jokes and related hilarious legal anecdotes, giving his wonderfully wise and witty take on life, love and the law."

The music written for those shows has now evolved into Jon's new album, "To Notice Such Things".

"There was a total of about six minutes of music which has now grown into a 27-minute suite for solo flute, piano and string orchestra," Lord says. "I wrote it during March, April and May, and it was an emotional yet fascinating experience to work on it when John's presence was still so very strong. In fact it still is, but back then he had only just passed away.

"I think he's pretty much in every note of the piece and I'm really pleased with it, because I think he would be happy with what my thoughts about him are."

The suite ends with a movement called Afterwards, named after the Thomas Hardy poem that John Mortimer used to read at the end of his show.

Both the Suite itself and the album are called "To Notice Such Things" because the last line of the Hardy poem are "He was a man who used to notice such things."

The all-instrumental album was recorded at the end of last September with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Clark Rundell with Cormac Henry on flute, and also features three additional pieces.

"To Notice Such Things" track listing:

01. To Notice Such Things
a. As I Walked Out One Evening
b. At Court
c. Turville Heath
d. The Stick Dance
e. The Winter of a Doormouse
f. Afterwards
02. Evening Song
03. For Example
04. Air on the Blue String

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Jon Lord
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:51 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord will release his next album, "To Notice Such Things", on March 29 through Avie Records.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:21 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord released his latest album, "To Notice Such Things", on March 29 through Avie Records. The CD has entered the U.K.'s official classical chart at No. 4.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:05 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to JonLord.org, former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord will be featured in a brand-new, five-part music documentary series on BBC2 investigating what makes the perfect rock and roll band.

The documentary series, "Rock N' Roll Band", narrated by Mark Radcliffe, examines each bandmember's role and finds out what makes them tick. Jon Lord was involved as the expert for the episode on keyboards. "Rock N' Roll Band" also promises to embark on a rip-roaring romp through some of the greatest stories in rock 'n' roll folklore, says the BBC's press release.

During the series, viewers can can vote for their ultimate rock 'n' roll musician on the series' web site.

"Rock N' Roll Band" culminates in a live studio show where industry experts discuss their favorite rock 'n' roll musicians and create the ultimate fantasy band.

The first episode goes out on May 1 on BBC2 at 9.40 p.m.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:18 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
According to JonLord.org, former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord will be featured in a brand-new, five-part music documentary series on BBC2 investigating what makes the perfect rock and roll band.

That's easy. You watch a documentary on Deep Purple's career... and then do something completely different with your band. :wink:

:BB Stormbringer

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:43 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord will perform at the Nidarosdomen cathedral in Norway along with The Lord Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Torodd Wigum, on Sunday evening, May 23. Lord will be joined by Martin Axenrot and Martin Mendez of OPETH, with Steve Balsamo, who played and sang the role of Jesus in the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar". Nathalie Lorichs (OPETH's "Coil") will do the female vocals.

Jon Lord has just released a new classical CD, "To Notice Such Things", which will have its Scandinavian premiere at this weekend's event. According to a posting on OPETH's web site, "We will also hear beautiful pieces from his solo career, together with a couple of rearranged DEEP PURPLE songs, including 'Child in Time' with a children's choir for extra goosebumps effect! Definitely a night to remember!"

The lineup for the performance will be as follows:

* Jon Lord - Piano/Organ
* Steve Balsamo - Vocals (Jesus Christ Superstar)
* Nathalie Lorichs - Vocals (Opeth)
* Karina Hanssen - Choir
* Martin Axenrot - Drums (Opeth, female singer on the track Coil)
* Martin Mendez - Bass (Opeth)
* Magnus Johansen - Keyboards (V Before U)
* Lord Chamber Orchestra conducted by Torodd Wigum
* The Choir Children of Time conducted by Elen Cath Furunes

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:26 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to JonLord.org, former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord has revisited his "Sarabande" suite from 1975 and plans to perform it live this fall. "Sarabande" is one of Jon Lord's most successful and most loved orchestral works.

"In Budapest on the 18th of this month, I am playing the 'Sarabande' suite for the first time ever live," Lord says. "That is, in its entirety, and in the same running order as the original recording.

"I have, of course, played 'Gigue' and 'Bourrée' many times and occasionally 'Pavane' and 'Sarabande', but this is the first time the suite has been done 'whole.'"

Recorded in Oer-Erckenschwick near Cologne, Germany in 1974 with the now-defunct Philharmonica Hungarica orchestra conducted by Eberhard Schoener, the full suite comprises:

* Fantasia
* Sarabande
* Aria
* Gigue
* Bourrée
* Pavane
* Caprice
* Finale

The original recording also featured Andy Summers on guitar (later with THE POLICE), Pete York on drums, Mark Nauseef on percussion (later drums with IAN GILLAN band and THIN LIZZY) and Paul Karass on bass.

"I have taken the opportunity to brush-up the 1975 orchestrations, and have therefore also orchestrated 'Aria' — which was played on piano and synthesizers on the recording, and 'Caprice' which was just the group," Lord adds. "The 'Finale', too, has had a make-over to allow the 'parade of themes' section, which was done with tape-loops on the recording, to be played live. Had a lot of fun doing it, too."

The complete "Sarabande" suite will be premiered in Budapest on September 18 and later performed also in Sofia on October 30 and in Essen on November 15.

"I will play it in the first half instead of Concerto for Group and Orchestra," says Lord. "I also have a couple of interesting surprises for the second half."

Read more at JonLord.org

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:37 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord, who revealed this past summer that he was fighting cancer, has released the following statement:

"Happy New Year to all of you and thank you so much for your wonderful, kind and inspirational messages over these last few difficult months. I have been mightily sustained by reading them and will continue to be so. You are a very special lot indeed. I am doing well and I will be back with more news and updates in the next week or so. In the meantime, party hearty but look after yourselves. I wish you success and happiness, and above all, I wish you health."

Jon Lord is recognized for his Hammond organ blues-rock playing and unique sound and for his pioneering work in fusing rock and classical or baroque forms. He has most famously been a member of DEEP PURPLE, the band he co-founded in 1968.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Glad to hear he's hanging in there... :B

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to JonLord.org, the Philharmonic Orchestra of Hagen, Germany will celebrate former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord's music at several of their concerts this year.

Working from plans put in motion early last year, this spring will see the orchestra perform five of Jon's pieces; "The Cathedral At Dawn", a segment of his "Durham Concerto"; "Diguises", released on the "Boom Of The Tingling Strings" album; "From Darkness To Light" in a brand new arrangement for full orchestra; "To Notice Such Things" and "Sarabande".

The dates are as folows:

February 28
Jon Lord: The Cathedral At Dawn
Peter Tschaikowski: Violinkonzert
Dmitri Schostakowitsch: Sinfonie Nr. 9

April 24
Jon Lord: Disguises
Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Violinkonzert
Franz Schubert: Sinfonie Nr. 6

May 15
Jon Lord: From Darkness To Light (World premiere of version for large orchestra)
Jean Sibelius: Sinfonie Nr. 5

June 12
Johannes Brahms: Haydn-Variationen
Jon Lord: To Notice Such Things
Johannes Brahms: Violinkonzert

July 6
Jon Lord: Sarabande

All concerts take place at Hagen's Stadthalle, and Jon Lord is not scheduled to appear.

Lord revealed last summer that he was fighting cancer.

Jon Lord is recognized for his Hammond organ blues-rock playing and unique sound and for his pioneering work in fusing rock and classical or baroque forms. He has most famously been a member of DEEP PURPLE, the band he co-founded in 1968.

Lord last year received the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Music from the University of Leicester.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
DEEP PURPLE drummer Ian Paice was interviewed on Edmonton, Alberta, Canada's classic rock radio station CIRK K-97 97.3 FM when the band performed in town on February 21 as part of their 16-date Canadian tour.

When asked for an update on former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord , who last year revealed that he was fighting cancer, Paice said, "[Jon] was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but really early, early stages. And we know it's not a good one — whether there [ever] is a good one — but so far all the news from Jon is great. There are no more cancer cells being produced, and those that are lying dormant are being, hopefully, wiped out as we speak by a brand new treatment which he is over in Israel having right now. So we're already thinking that he may be back working in April or May."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:33 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to JonLord.org, former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord's Concerto For Group And Orchestra, re-recorded by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and a selection of invited guests, is set to be released by Edel Records in September (ABC Records in Australia).

After more than 100 performances worldwide and numerous revisions, the new recording represents Jon's definitive version of the masterpiece, which in 1969 pointed his career in a new direction and laid the foundation for an astounding musical reputation and career.

Guests and soloists on the new recording include IRON MAIDEN's Bruce Dickinson, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION's Joe Bonamassa and DEEP PURPLE's Steve Morse along with Jon's "house singers" Steve Balsamo and Kasia Laska. It was recorded at Liverpool's Philharmonic Hall by Abbey Road Studio's crew. The recording was conducted by Paul Mann, whose in-depth experience with the piece includes conducting its 30th-anniversary resurrection at London's Royal Albert Hall in 1999 and the ensuing world tour with DEEP PURPLE.

The new release will be accompanied by a specially filmed documentary.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Due to ongoing medical treatments for pancreatic cancer, with which Jon Lord was disagnosed last summer, the former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist will not be able to apppear in Hagen, Germany on July 6. He was set to perform his Durham Concerto and a selection of other pieces.

According to JonLord.org, Jon wishes to assure everyone that this is not a matter for concern, but it is a continuation of his regular treatment that has just taken longer than anticipated. He and the Hagen Philharmonic Orchestra hope to be able to reschedule the concert for later in the year. He apologizes to everyone for any inconveniences this may have caused, particularly the wonderful people of Hagen, their terrific orchestra and all those who may have bought tickets, and he looks forward to seeing them all soon.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
Favorite Band: DIO
Jon Lord just passed away. Another great one..........gone. :(

R.I.P.

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

Topic Top