Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIO news
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:54 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
"Unpackaging" videos for the "deluxe-edition" reissues of the first three DIO albums — "Holy Diver", "The Last In Line" and "Sacred Heart" — can be seen below. The CDs were made available in March via Universal Music. These reissues were made available worldwide, except in North America, where Warner Bros. owns the rights to the material.

In May 2010, the world of hard rock and heavy metal had lost one of its most gifted and fervent ambassadors, with the passing of Ronnie James Dio. In his position as lead vocalist for rock giants such as RAINBOW and BLACK SABBATH, as well as fronting his own eponymous band for nearly three decades, Dio created some of the genres most defining and respected works. Albums such as "Holy Diver", "Sacred Heart" and "The Last In Line" all stand as towering monuments of sheer class and brilliance in the rock pantheon. Dio was also to pave the way in regards to performing live, as few equaled him. With his incredible vocal range, Dio was to preside over countless memorable rock shows, enthralling his millions of fans worldwide.

As well as the original CD being remastered, these reissues each feature a bonus CD containing an expanded booklet with notes from Malcolm Dome and has been endorsed by Ronnie's widow Wendy Dio.

"Holy Diver" was the debut album from DIO, released May 25, 1983. It was hailed by critics as some of his best work and in January 1986 it was awarded silver certification in the U.K. The upbeat sounding "Rainbow In The Dark" was to catch MTV's attention, with the title track also standing out.

"The Last In Line" was the second DIO studio album. It was released on July 13, 1984 and was the first album from DIO to reach platinum status as well as No. 4 in the U.K. chart. This new album showcased the anthemic tracks "We Rock" and "I Speed at Night" as well as the seven-minute epic "Egypt ( The Chains Are On)".

Issued in October 1985, "Sacred Heart" was the third studio album from DIO. The album reached No. 4 in the U.K. chart and was to go on to be certified gold. This was to become a much-loved DIO album, and contained the tracks "Rock N' Roll Children" and "Hungry For Heaven". The stage show that was to accompany this album was hailed as a spectacle, involving a mechanized dragon as well as lasers. Ronnie and his band were to refer to the dragon as Denzil. This was the last studio album to be released by DIO that included guitarist Vivian Campbell.

The first disc in each reissue consists of the original album, remastered by Andy Pearce. The following are details for the bonus disc included with each reissue.

"Holy Diver" - Disc Two (one studio track, along with live recordings)

01. Evil Eyes
02. Stand Up And Shout
03. Straight Through The Heart
04. Stand Up And Shout
05. Shame On The Night
06. Children Of The Sea
07. Holy Diver
08. Rainbow In The Dark
09. Man On The Silver Mountain

"Last In Line" - Disc Two

01. Stand Up And Shout (live) (B-side of "Last In Line" single)
02. Straight Through The Heart (live) (B-side of "Last In Line" single)
03. Eat Your Heart Out (live) (from "Mystery" single)
04. Don't Talk To Strangers (live) (from "Mystery" single)
05. Holy Diver (live) (B-side of "We Rock" single)
06. Rainbow In The Dark (live) (B-side of "We Rock" single)
07. One Night In The City (live) (recorded Pinkpop festival)
08. We Rock (live) (recorded Pinkpop festival)
09. Holy Diver (live) (recorded Pinkpop festival)
10. Stargazer (live) (recorded Pinkpop festival)
11. Heaven And Hell (live) (recorded at Pinkpop festival)
12. Rainbow In The Dark (live) (recorded at Pinkpop festival)
13. Man On The Silver Mountain (live) (recorded at Pinkpop festival)
14. Don't Talk To Strangers (live) (recorded at Pinkpop festival)

"Sacred Heart" - Disc Two

01. Hide in the Rainbow (studio track, originally on the soundtrack to the movie "Iron Eagle")
02. We Rock (live) (B-side of "Rock N Roll Children" single)
03. The Last in Line (live) (B-side of "Rock N Roll Children" single)
04. Like the Beat Of A Heart (live) (B-side of "Rock N Roll Children" single)
05. King of Rock & Roll (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
06. Rainbow In The Dark (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
07. Sacred Heart (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
08. Time To Burn (studio) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
09. Rock 'N' Roll Children (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
10. Long Live Rock 'N' Roll (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
11. Man On The Silver Mountain (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)
12. We Rock (live) (taken from "Intermission" EP)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:05 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
These are the discs I was talking about... They've been available from Europe for quite some time now. All three are excellent.

Incidentally, what ever happened to the re-release of the "Stars" video? I thought they were going to put the video out on DVD finally?

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
I haven't heard.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:23 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
DIO DISCIPLES will guest on the nationally syndicated radio show "Rockline" with host Bob Coburn on Wednesday, October 10 at 8:30 p.m. PT / 11:30 p.m. ET. Fans are encouraged to speak with DIO DISCIPLES by calling 1-800-344-ROCK (7625). The show will be streamed on the "Rockline" web site for two weeks beginning the afternoon after the live broadcast.

For more information, visit RocklineRadio.com

DIO DISCIPLES is the project featuring former DIO members Simon Wright (drums), Craig Goldy (guitar), Scott Warren (keyboards) and Rudy Sarzo alongside singers Tim "Ripper" Owens (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) and Toby Jepson (LITTLE ANGELS, GUN). The group pays tribute to the Ronnie James Dio and is fully supported by Dio's widow/manager, Wendy, who has said, "There will never be another Ronnie, but we want to keep his music alive and hope you will support the band and become one of the DIO DISCIPLES."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:07 am 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
I haven't heard.

Well, get on it or... YOU'RE FIRED!!! :banned:

Wow. I feel better... I guess it has been too long since I shit-canned anyone around here. :lol:

:BB "Some time in the night, when you're feeling the cold..."

PS ~ Seriously, though, if you get a chance, please poke around for it. I think it was supposed to be released months ago. I hope it wasn't shit-canned.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:55 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
Favorite Band: DIO
They're trying to get Nils Johannson from Astral Doors to handle the vocals.

Hey.......I can dream, can't I?? :lol:

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
alsworms wrote:
They're trying to get Nils Johannson from Astral Doors to handle the vocals.

Hey.......I can dream, can't I?? :lol:

Man, he'd be a good one to belt out some Dio classics, eh? :beerbang:

:BB Time To Rock

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
From what I've heard........past or present........there would be NONE better!

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:07 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
I haven't seen anything about the supposed "Stars" dvd. Was it official or was it somebody like Wendy saying they hoped to put it out?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
NEW DIO DISCIPLES TOUR DATES
Sat 20 Oct, Anaheim, CA, House Of Blues
Sun 21 Oct, San Luis Obispo, CA, Slo Brew
Tue 23 Oct, Seattle, WA, El Corazon
Wed 24 Oct, Portland, OR, Hawthorne
...Fri 26 Oct, Las Vegas, NV, Hard Rock on The Strip
Sat 27 Oct, Tempe, AZ, Club Red
Sun 28 Oct, Ventura, CA, The Ventura Theater
Tue 30 Oct, San Diego, CA, Brick By Brick
Wed 31 Oct, Hollywood, CA, The Avalon (RJD Charity Event!)
Sun 04 Nov, Dallas, TX, Tree's
Thu 08 Nov, Ft Wayne, IN, Pierre's
Sat 10 Nov, Detroit, MI, Harpo's
Tue 13 Nov Portland, ME Asylum
Thurs 15 Nov Sayerville, NJ Starland
Sat 17 Nov Amityville, NY Revolution
Sun 18 Nov Poughkeepsie, New York The Chance
Tue 20 Nov Allentown, PA Crocodile Rock

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 am 
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
bildo wrote:
I haven't seen anything about the supposed "Stars" dvd. Was it official or was it somebody like Wendy saying they hoped to put it out?

I remember reading about it on the Y&T site, a link to a post from Wendy discussing it. I'm guessing the licensing is a nightmare with all the different artists and labels. It remains one of the few albums in my collection I've never been able to snag on disc.

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:11 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
alsworms wrote:

I thought Jorn did a very good job, but you might be right... Nils' voice is a bit closer to Dio's in timbre.

It'd certainly be a good listen. 8)

Canuck wrote:
bildo wrote:

I remember reading about it on the Y&T site, a link to a post from Wendy discussing it. I'm guessing the licensing is a nightmare with all the different artists and labels. It remains one of the few albums in my collection I've never been able to snag on disc.

It was official... I found it on Dio's FB merchandising page not too long after Ronnie's death. Wendy and the office run that page, and it was listed along with several other releases... all of which have since come out, except for "Stars." In fact, I'm 101% positive I posted it here. I'll have to poke around for it.

I'm not sure what in the licensing would be an issue in this case... The artists and representing labels/management would have had to sign off on their collective contributions to the song itself up-front. If there were royalties involved, it couldn't very well have been used for charitable fundraising in the first place. The answer is simple... If Wendy pledged to donate the profits from the re-release to "Stand Up And Shout"... I couldn't imagine even the most money-hungry of the participants asking for royalties. Maybe it wouldn't be out of the goodness of their heart... but the potential public relations disaster of being outed as the one holding up the works on a charitable release like this (especially for Dio's posthumous cancer charity) would be a heavy metal disaster.

That said... I wonder if the corporation that handled the original donations is the problem? If they still own the rights to the song and video and won't give them up, it would certainly be a deal-breaker.

Also, I guess it's also possible that the rights have been abandoned, which happens a lot more frequently than you might guess. It happens all the time, in fact, and it's a legal nightmare. There are artists' families out there (and even the artists themselves in some cases) that are losing out on years of royalties and potential remaster/reissue deals without recourse because the company that last owned the rights is now defunct, so there's nobody to get permission from... or to sue for the rights... or even to buy them from. It's a sin. We have already lost the opportunity to hear thousands of great songs because most legal systems don't have a reasonable mechanism to return the rights to the families (or to provide them to anyone else, for that matter) when they've been abandoned. We are losing more of them every day.

Of course, if either situation was the case, why would Wendy mention releasing it the first place? :?

:BB "We are magic in the night..."

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
As you can imagine, Wendy's been taking a shitload of slack for cashing in on Ronnie's death and for recently marrying her longtime boyfriend. This might have something to do with the haulting of all these supposed releases? Who knows........ I'm kinda on the fence with this.

Don't know how I forgot about Jorn. I spun his latest, "Bring Heavy Rock to the Land", last night, and it's another stellar release. The dude's got some serious pipes, but I always think of David Coverdale when listening to him. At any rate, he would make a great choice as well. Since I'm dreaming, how about him and Nils for the Disciples rather than Toby and Ripper? :lol:

No slam on those 2 guys, btw. Both great voices; they just don't seem to fit the Dio mold. :?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 am 
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
RockHard wrote:
alsworms wrote:

I thought Jorn did a very good job, but you might be right... Nils' voice is a bit closer to Dio's in timbre.

It'd certainly be a good listen. 8)

Canuck wrote:
bildo wrote:

It was official... I found it on Dio's FB merchandising page not too long after Ronnie's death. Wendy and the office run that page, and it was listed along with several other releases... all of which have since come out, except for "Stars." In fact, I'm 101% positive I posted it here. I'll have to poke around for it.

I'm not sure what in the licensing would be an issue in this case... The artists and representing labels/management would have had to sign off on their collective contributions to the song itself up-front. If there were royalties involved, it couldn't very well have been used for charitable fundraising in the first place. The answer is simple... If Wendy pledged to donate the profits from the re-release to "Stand Up And Shout"... I couldn't imagine even the most money-hungry of the participants asking for royalties. Maybe it wouldn't be out of the goodness of their heart... but the potential public relations disaster of being outed as the one holding up the works on a charitable release like this (especially for Dio's posthumous cancer charity) would be a heavy metal disaster.

That said... I wonder if the corporation that handled the original donations is the problem? If they still own the rights to the song and video and won't give them up, it would certainly be a deal-breaker.

Also, I guess it's also possible that the rights have been abandoned, which happens a lot more frequently than you might guess. It happens all the time, in fact, and it's a legal nightmare. There are artists' families out there (and even the artists themselves in some cases) that are losing out on years of royalties and potential remaster/reissue deals without recourse because the company that last owned the rights is now defunct, so there's nobody to get permission from... or to sue for the rights... or even to buy them from. It's a sin. We have already lost the opportunity to hear thousands of great songs because most legal systems don't have a reasonable mechanism to return the rights to the families (or to provide them to anyone else, for that matter) when they've been abandoned. We are losing more of them every day.

Of course, if either situation was the case, why would Wendy mention releasing it the first place? :?

:BB "We are magic in the night..."

Well, More than anything, I'm guessing the Hendrix track might cause the most problems.

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The second volume of DIO's best tracks, "The Very Beast Of Dio Vol. 2", sold 2,300 copies in the United States in its first week of release.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next