Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIO news
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Former DIO drummer Simon Wright says that "three or four" unfinished demo recordings that were made prior to singer Ronnie James Dio's death could be completed for a future release. The last song to be fully realized with Ronnie, "Electra", was featured on the ultra-rare "Tournado" box set, but Wright reveals rough versions of other tracks exist. "There were three or four songs he had been working on," the drummer tells Classic Rock Revisited. "I'm not sure what will happen. At some point, maybe, they'll come out." He adds, "You would have to be careful how you approached it — you wouldn't want to overstep your bounds. We'd sit and listen to them and see how far he got. We'd do it with total respect and we'd do it delicately."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:28 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
I have two copies of that Electra song from somewhere...

One is the studio version and the other was live on Eddie Trunk's show.

It's not too bad.

I'll ping Ross to see if he ever built me back into the FTP... If he has, I'll upload it to the Media Player for you guys. :B

:BB Night People

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:18 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
Favorite Band: DIO
Gotta be honest. I don't care for Electra or the other one......WTH is it called??? Damn......the one with his cousin, Feinstein??

Anyway, probably just because I'm a Dio freak, I can really hear the struggle in Ronnie's voice, not to mention I know what the guy was going through at the time. :(

Oh yeah......."Metal Will Never Die". Had to google the effing thing! Nice to have them in any Dio collection, but definitely not Ronnie's finest moments..........

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
alsworms wrote:
Gotta be honest. I don't care for Electra or the other one......WTH is it called??? Damn......the one with his cousin, Feinstein??

Anyway, probably just because I'm a Dio freak, I can really hear the struggle in Ronnie's voice, not to mention I know what the guy was going through at the time. :(

Oh yeah......."Metal Will Never Die". Had to google the effing thing! Nice to have them in any Dio collection, but definitely not Ronnie's finest moments..........

Agreed. His voice is definitely rougher around the edges, but I thought the songs were decent nonetheless... I have the Feinstein album too... That tune definitely is more of a rocker, but I thought Ronnie sounded a little better on Electra. Plus, as you mentioned, he was in the midst of his fight with fuckin' cancer at the time.

Personally, I just like the fact that he went out the way he came in. Rockin'! 8)

In fact, his early 60s singles were pretty poppy... so in reality, he went out rocking harder than he when he started. :tup

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
I'm digging that recent early Elf album.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:43 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund, founded in memory of the world-renowned voice of DIO, BLACK SABBATH and HEAVEN & HELL, will host its second awards gala on Halloween night, Wednesday, October 31 at the Avalon nightclub in Hollywood, California. Awards will be presented to seven distinguished honorees for their contributions to spreading awareness of Fund's important work.

The event will include a live performance by DIO DISCIPLES, comprising former members of the band DIO, with a number of prominent rock musicians joining them on stage for an all-star jam. Among the rockers planning to join the celebrity jam session are:

* Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, FATES WARNING)
* Billy Morrison (THE CULT, CAMP FREDDY)
* Glenn Hughes (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, DEEP PURPLE)
* Frankie Banali (QUIET RIOT)
* Stephen Pearcy (RATT)
* Joey Belladonna (ANTHRAX)
* Michael Sweet (STRYPER)
* Oz Fox (STRYPER)
* David "Rock" Feinstein (THE RODS)
* Members of BUCKCHERRY

In addition, Terry "Geezer" Butler, Eddie Money, Glenn Hughes, Frankie Banali, Stephen Pearcy, Joey Beladonna and David "Rock" Feinstein are among the performers who are scheduled to present awards to the fund's distinguished honorees.

A privately funded 501(c)(3) charity organization dedicated to cancer prevention, research and education, the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund has already raised more than $500,000 in its short history. Monies raised have been committed to the cancer research work of the T. J. Martell Foundation for cancer, AIDS and leukemia research and the gastric cancer research unit of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, where Ronnie was treated for gastric cancer during the last six months of his life, according to Wendy Dio, widow of the late singer and fund president/founder.

The Halloween Spooktacular at the Avalon will include gourmet food stations and a hosted bar, a silent auction, live auction, and a performance by the weirdly wonderful performance troupe CIRQUE BERSERK.

Awards named after songs written by Ronnie James Dio will be presented to the following distinguished honorees:

* Man On The Silver Mountain Award
Honoree: Neil Warnock
Founder and CEO of The Agency Group worldwide

* Rainbow In The Dark Award
Honoree: Stanley J. Diamond
partner, Diamond & Wilson, and member of the Board of Directors of the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up & Shout Cancer Fund

* King Of Rock 'N Roll Award
Honoree: Tony Iommi
legendary guitarist for BLACK SABBATH and HEAVEN & HELL and recent cancer survivor

* Killing The Dragon Award
Honoree: Charlie Hernandez
President of QED Productions and veteran production manager, who, with partner Lori Tierney, are the driving force behind Just a Bunch of Roadies, a nonprofit organization formed by musical touring industry professionals to respond to humanitarian crises.

* Stand Up And Shout Award
Honoree: Bob Chiappardi
Founder and CEO of Concrete Marketing, one of the largest independent lifestyle marketing companies in the music industry,.known for its work with cutting edge rock and heavy metal artists

* Master Of The Moon Award
Honoree: Alex Hodges
CEO, Nederlander Concerts

* Sacred Heart Award
Honoree: Dr. Raul Mena
Director of the Roy and Patricia Disney Cancer Center in Burbank, who concentrates in the area of cancer research

Eddie Trunk of VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show", who was presented with the fund's Long Live Rock 'N Roll Award at last year's gala, will once again serve as special guest emcee.

"We are really looking forward to our second annual awards gala," says Dio Cancer Fund chairman Gloria Butler. "It will have quite a different feel from last year's inaugural extravaganza at the Playboy Mansion, this year replaced with ghosts and goblins on Halloween night at Avalon, an all-star jam, the amazing Cirque Berzerk, the fortune tellers, strolling magicians and free flowing delicacies. It's sure to be a 'spooktacular' night for a special cause."

Fund founder and president Wendy Dio adds: "The support the Dio Cancer Fund has received since its beginnings shortly after Ronnie's death has been overwhelming. Our mandate is cancer prevention, research and education, and we are proud and gratified to be able to recognize this year's honorees for their contributions toward spreading the word about our mission. Ronnie would have been so proud of what we have accomplished so far, and he would especially have loved to party on Halloween."

The Avalon is located at 1735 North Vine Street in Hollywood. General-admission tickets start at $200 with special VIP ticket packages that include reserved seating and admission to the Bardot Club are also available.

Information regarding the fund as well as tickets and sponsorships for the gala are available at www.diocancerfund.org

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 pm 
Favorite Band: Judas Priest
:bnb:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:44 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Anybody pick up "The Very Beast Of Dio Vol. 2"???

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
RockHard wrote:

I bought it, but more for the collection than anything else. 3 bonus tracks are decent and cool to have, but I already had them in the collection and heard them countless times. It's a must-have if you missed out on Ronnie's later material...........or if you're a Dio freak like me. :lol:

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
alsworms wrote:
RockHard wrote:

I bought it, but more for the collection than anything else. 3 bonus tracks are decent and cool to have, but I already had them in the collection and heard them countless times. It's a must-have if you missed out on Ronnie's later material...........or if you're a Dio freak like me. :lol:

Yep. As you might see in my latest ramble, this is a perfect example for me. No need to buy it... but I probably will anyway because I only have a "good" version of Electra downloaded, and I hate that.

Ironically, I picked up a live version somewhere too... but I'll be damned if I remember downloading it. :lol:

:BB All The Fools (Like Us) Sailed Away

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
All his studio albums and 1 or 2 live albums is enough for me.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:19 am 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
bildo wrote:

You don't wanna support Wendy and her new husband?? :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
alsworms wrote:
bildo wrote:

You don't wanna support Wendy and her new husband?? :lol:

I don't want to support my ex. Why would I want to support his? :P

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Wendy Dio, the widow of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, HEAVEN & HELL), says that BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi's early detection has been key in his recovery from the early stages of lymphoma with which he was diagnosed late last year.

Iommi received the "King Of Rock 'N Roll Award" at at the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund's second awards gala, which was held on October 31 at the Avalon nightclub in Hollywood, California.

Ronnie died of stomach cancer in May 2010 at the age of 67. At his public memorial service, Dio's son, Dan Padavona, cautioned the memorial crowd to be screened regularly by a doctor and take care of themselves, something he said his father did not do.

"I beg you not to make the same mistake my dad made," said Padavona. "For dad, the show always had to go on. He ignored the warning signs for years, and all along the cancer was growing and mutating from something that was probably easily defeatable into a monster which even Dio couldn't slay."

Speaking to Loudwire at yesterday's (Monday, November 19) press day at Julien's Auction House in Beverly Hills, California to promote a massive guitar auction with items donated by METALLICA, IRON MAIDEN, the FOO FIGHTERS, BON JOVI, Eddie Van Halen, and many more, Wendy said, "Tony was struggling with his own cancer, and hopefully … it's in remission, which [would be] fantastic. And that's early detection again, that was early. Maybe if Ronnie hadn't passed away, [Iommi] wouldn't have gotten checked early. We don't know, but that was early detection, and [the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund ceremony] was great because he's been through so much this year and to honor him, that was great. And for Geezer [Butler] to give him the award was very, very special. All of honorees are special."

She added, "We mainly deal with men's cancers and we find that men don't get [regularly] checked. Women are very good. Men have to be drug [to the doctor's office], but we're trying to make awareness that early detection saves lives and for your loved ones to save their lives by getting checked."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:44 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Eric Blair of "The Blairing Out With Eric Blair Show" conducted an interview with David "Rock" Feinstein of THE RODS at the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund's second awards gala, which was held on October 31 at the Avalon nightclub in Hollywood, California. You can watch the chat below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Bs6O3mpo9s

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next