Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIO news
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Audiophile specialty record label Audio Fidelity has released a newly remastered edition of DIO's second studio album, "The Last In Line", as part of its 24 Karat Gold Compact Disc series.

Following the well-deserved success of DIO's debut LP, "Holy Diver", Ronnie James Dio did not mess with that winning formula when he released the follow-up effort, "The Last In Line". The album is full of heavy and hard rocking songs that draw upon the fantasy lyrics for which the band is known, lots of guitar solos and, of course, Ronnie James Dio's distinctive and unique voice. The 1984 release was the first DIO album to be certified platinum. The lineup on the album is the same as that on "Holy Diver" — Dio, Vivian Campbell, Jimmy Bain, Vinny Appice, plus the addition of keyboard player Claude Schnell.

"The Last In Line" track listing:

01. We Rock (4:35)
02. The Last In Line (5:48)
03. Breathless (4:09)
04. I Speed At Night (3:26)
05. One Night In The City (5:14)
06. Evil Eyes (3:38)
07. Mystery (3:55)
08. Eat Your Heart Out (4:02)
09. Egypt (The Chains Are On) (7:02)

"The Last In Line" in a very special numbered, gold-disc format is a great addition to any audiophile's collection.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund, founded in memory of the world-renowned voice of DIO, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH and HEAVEN & HELL, participated in the Icons & Idols-Rock 'N' Roll Auction this past Saturday, December 1 at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills, California. Nearly 100 donated guitars signed by a variety of celebrities from the music world went on the auction block to benefit the Fund's mission of cancer prevention, research and education.

The collection includes guitars signed by the JONAS BROTHERS, Slash, Tom Morello, Tony Iommi and members of AEROSMITH, BON JOVI, DEF LEPPARD, the ALICE COOPER band, METALLICA and IRON MAIDEN. Among the rarities are a prototype electric guitar made for and signed by Eddie Van Halen and a custom hand-carved Ronnie James Dio memorial guitar created by DBZ Guitars. Also in the collection is an Epiphone electric guitar signed by a host of country music stars, among them Taylor Swift, Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney, an ESP acoustic electric guitar signed by "Twilight" film star Robert Pattinson and three guitars hand painted by the famous elephants of the Asian Elephant Art & Conservation Project in Thailand.

The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund is a privately funded 501C3 charity organization which has already raised more than $600,000 in its short history. Monies raised have been committed to the cancer research work of the T.J. Martell Foundation for Cancer, AIDS and Leukemia Research and the gastric cancer research unit of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, where Ronnie was treated for gastric cancer during the last six months of his life.

Julien's Auctions, which specializes in entertainment memorabilia, is located at 9665 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 150, Beverly Hills, California 90210.

AOL's Noisecreep spoke exclusively with Ronnie's widow, Wendy Dio, and bassist Bjorn Englen from DIO DISCIPLES, an all-star metal band that tours to keep Ronnie's legacy and music alive. You can [youtube]watch the footage below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-kvXxJ5 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund is certainly doing its part to raise money, spread awareness, and, hopefully, one day find a cure for the same illness that took the life of one of rock's all-time great vocalists, Ronnie James Dio.

The Dio Cancer Fund, upon its formation two years ago, pledged a total of $300,000 to the TJ Martell Foundation (an organization founded by music industry senior executive Tony Martell — who lost a son to leukemia — which raises funds for cancer research) and had already donated $200,000 to the Foundation. The remaining $100,000, which will be presented shortly, is earmarked for the gastric cancer research efforts at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center in Nashville, Tennessee. These monies were raised from the Dio Cancer Fund's recent annual awards gala and celebrity guitar auction.

Tony Martell recently stated, "The T.J. Martell Foundation is honored to work with Wendy Dio and the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund. We are all working together to fund important stomach cancer research at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center that will lead to new discoveries and hope for patients and their families. Ronnie James Dio was a friend of mine. I know he would be proud of the progress being made in his name."

On Saturday, December 1, at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills, a celebrity guitar auction was held benefiting the Dio Cancer Fund, which featured over 80 instruments donated by some of rock's biggest names, including SLAYER, DEF LEPPARD, Eddie Van Halen, Brian May, AEROSMITH, Slash, IRON MAIDEN, METALLICA, Tony Iommi, FOO FIGHTERS, and many others.

"Ronnie James Dio was such a force in music and his memory continues to conjure thoughts of rock royalty," said Darren Julien, Founder & CEO of Julien's Auctions. "It was an honor for Julien's Auctions to host the recent guitar auction that benefited the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund. Dean Schachtel and the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund board members put their heart and soul into the event, and the passion of all the celebrities and musical artists who donated their guitars was phenomenal. Because of this, we were able to raise much needed funds for an exceptional charity and cause."

Dio's widow and founder/president of the Fund, Wendy Dio, states: "Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the musicians and managers who donated guitars for our auction. Many thanks to Darren and everyone at Julien's Auctions for printing such a beautiful catalogue and working so hard on our behalf. Thanks to Dean Schachtel and my very hard-working Board of Directors — together we raised an amazing sum for the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund. We will be presenting the T.J. Martell Foundation with a check for $100,000 which, in turn, will go to the Vanderbilt Research Center for studies in gastric cancers. Ronnie would be so very proud of all of you. Early detection saves lives, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure."

The Dio Cancer Fund, a privately funded 501C3 charity organization dedicated to cancer prevention, research and education, also hosted its annual awards gala on Halloween night at the Avalon in Hollywood, which raised additional funds for its work.

As the singer of some of the most iconic bands of the hard rock/heavy metal genre — RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL, and DIO — Ronnie James Dio's vocals can be heard on such all-time classics as "Man On The Silver Mountain", "Long Live Rock 'N' Roll", "Neon Knights", "Heaven And Hell", "Rainbow In The Dark", "Holy Diver" and "The Last In Line", among countless others. Dio passed away on May 16, 2010 after a battle with stomach cancer, at the age of 67.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:01 am 
Metal Fan
Favorite Band: Alice Cooper
Does anybody know/want to guess/start a rumour mill what the Official Dio Page's Facebook post about Magica is leading to?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:26 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
thecoop wrote:
Does anybody know/want to guess/start a rumour mill what the Official Dio Page's Facebook post about Magica is leading to?

I just looked, but there are so many posts on there, I didn't see the one you were talking about.

They update that page a lot... :shock:

I did find this, though... Somewhere in Bulgaria, I guess. Very cool:

Certainly not to scale, though... :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't resist the obligatory short metal god comment. :oops:

"For some reason, I just thought you'd be... well... taller."

:BB Stand Up (On A Chair) And Shout

PS ~ I doubt I'd get away with any of this on the Dio forum. With my big mouth, I guess it's a good thing I run this place. :wink:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:26 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
Favorite Band: DIO
That thing should be in my back fucking yard!!! :bluerock:

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:23 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
alsworms wrote:
That thing should be in my back fucking yard!!! :bluerock:

Somehow, I wouldn't put it past you either. :lol:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:44 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
That should be outside of a stadium.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
All I want for Christmas is a plane ticket to Bulgaria. :D

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Fan-filmed video footage of THE SOUTHERN CROSS performing the BLACK SABBATH classic "Children Of The Sea" aboard Sweden's Rock At Sea cruise on November 16-17, 2012 can be seen below.

Before legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio died in May 2010, his former guitarist Rowan Robertson got in touch with a Norwegian drummer, Rick Hagan, and started talking about doing a few shows featuring the material from Rowsn's period in DIO, which Ronnie had not played for 20 years. With bassist Are Gogstad and singer Nils Patrik Johansson, the lineup was stable and toured in Norway twice under the name QUEENSTREET. But there was one part missing, and with the addition of 25-year BLACK SABBATH member Geoff Nicholls, THE SOUTHERN CROSS became the natural representation of what DIO musically stood for in the Eighties and early Nineties.

THE SOUTHERN CROSS's 2012 tour saw the band visiting highlights from RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH and DIO. Songs like "Man On The Silver Mountain", "Falling Off The Edge Of The World", "Lock Up The Wolves", "Don't Talk To Strangers" and, of course, the classics "Heaven And Hell" and "Holy Diver" were all featured in the concerts.

The full lineup of the band is as follows:

* Rowan Robertson (DIO, DC4) - Guitar
* Nils Patrik Johansson (ASTRAL DOORS, LION'S SHARE) - Vocals
* Are Gogstad (PAUL DI'ANNO, RIPPER OWENS, A.S.C.) - Bass
* Rick Hagan (PAUL DI'ANNO, RIPPER OWENS, 21ST CENTURY ROX) – Drums
* Geoff Nicholls (BLACK SABBATH) - Keyboards

In the late 1980s Robertson heard that Ronnie James Dio was looking for a new guitarist. He sent a tape to the record company Phonogram. After six months of waiting, he got a reply that stated that at that moment they were not interested in him. At the encouragement of his friend and fellow guitarist Sean Manning (HURRICANE) the tenacious Robertson then contacted the DIO fan club who then asked him to send his demo tape to them.

Robertson, who was 17 years old at the time, got a great response from DIO after receiving the demo through the fan-club channels. In late January or early February 1989 Robertson was flown to Los Angeles for an audition with DIO. He was auditioned twice. Immediately after the second audition he was invited to join the band. The press-release for the addition of Robertson to DIO was sent out on July 18, 1989 and the press was invited to meet the newest DIO guitarist on July 20, 1989 at Oliver's Pub in New York City.

The first DIO album Robertson started working on with DIO was "Lock up the Wolves". These sessions included Jimmy Bain, Vinny Appice and Jens Johansson. The band had already begun writing and recording when Jimmy Bain and Vinny Appice were suddenly excused from the band. They were replaced with Teddy Cook and former AC/DC drummer Simon Wright.

"Lock up the Wolves" was released in 1990, and the band embarked on a tour in support of the album.

Robertson stayed with DIO until Ronnie James Dio rejoined BLACK SABBATH in 1991.

Dio and Robertson had been writing songs for an album to be released in May 1991 which ended up being shelved. When the DIO band was put on ice, Robertson started work on an instructional video for guitar players. It was released on Star Licks in July or August 1991. He then teamed up with vocalist Oni Logan (ex-LYNCH MOB) and drummer Jimmy Paxson (from TRIANGLE) and began to write and record on an album together for Atlantic Records.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6yJ3DhoWi8

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
This a dream-come-true for the Ol' Chrisser. I watched this one like 20 times last night. :D

I've always said Johannson would be the best fit for a Dio tribute band. This is just a hair short of a reincarnation of Ronnie himself!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:01 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Universal will release the deluxe edition of DIO's "Dream Evil" album on March 4.

"Dream Evil" is DIO's fourth album, released on July 21, 1987. It features former ROUGH CUTT members Craig Goldy and Claude Schnell, and includes the singles "All The Fools Sailed Away" and "I Could Have Been a Dreamer". "Dream Evil" was DIO's last album to feature drummer Vinny Appice.

This new 2-CD deluxe edition comes with a bonus disc containing amounts other tracks the band's triumphant gig at Monsters Of Rock. An expanded booklet with notes by Malcolm Dome endorsed by Ronnie's widow Wendy makes this the next in line of ultimate DIO reissues.

Disc One

01. Night People
02. Dream Evil
03. Sunset Superman
04. All The Fools Sailed Away
05. Naked In The Rain
06. Overlove
07. I Could Have Been A Dreamer
08. Faces In A Window
09. When A Woman Cries

Disc Two

01. Hide In The Rainbow (Dio EP)
02. I Could Have Been A Dreamer (Single Edit)
03. Dream Evil (Castle Donington - 22/08/87)
04. Neon Nights
05. Naked In The Rain
06. Rock N Roll Children
07. Long Live Rock N Roll
08. The Last In Line
09. Holy Diver
10. Heaven And Hell
11. Man On The Silver Mountain
12. All The Fools Sailed Away
13. The Last In Line (Reprise)
14. Rainbow In The Dark

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund Board Of Directors presented the T.J. Martell Foundation with $100,000 during the fifth annual Wine Celebration Dinner in Los Angeles on Wednesday, February 6. The contribution is part of a three-year pledge for gastric cancer research at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center.

Formed in honor of the legendary singer who lost his life to stomach cancer, the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable fund dedicated to support prostate, colon and stomach cancer research, raise awareness and educate the public with the focus that early detection and prevention is of vital importance when dealing with this deadly disease that robs families of its loved ones.

Wendy Dio, president and founder of the Cancer Fund, made the check presentation to the T.J. Martell Foundation's CEO Laura Heatherly, saying, "After my husband, Ronnie James Dio, passed away from gastric cancer, i made a promise to him to raise funds for cancer research and education and I formed the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund. Two and a half years ago we pledged $300,000 to the T.J. Martell Foundation and with our recent donation of $100,000 we have met our pledge. We intend to continue to raise funds for cancer research and hope one day we can find a cure for this horrible disease."

"We have a special partnership with Wendy Dio and the Board of Directors of the Ronnie James Dio Cancer Fund," said Laura Heatherly. "Both groups are working hard to do what we can to fund important cancer research that will eventually turn into drug discoveries and clinical trials which ultimately may save someone's life."

With the support of the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund, Vanderbilt has established a collaborative research environment with some of the leading gastric cancer researchers in the world including Pelayo Correa, M.D., Richard Peek Jr., M.D., James R. Goldenring, M.D., Ph.D., Robert J. Coffey, M.D., Wael El-Rifai, M.D., Ph.D., and Stephen Fesik, Ph.D. These key investigators have made seminal discoveries on the causes of gastric cancer and are using these discoveries to find new therapies.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:14 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
DIO's "Finding The Sacred Heart – Live In Philly 1986" DVD will be released on May 28 via Eagle Vision.

"Finding The Sacred Heart – Live In Philly 1986" was filmed at The Spectrum in Philadelphia on June 17, 1986 during the second leg of the "Sacred Heart" tour, which featured new guitarist Craig Goldy. The show was issued in an edited form first on VHS and then DVD. Now for the first time the full concert is being released in the original running order, restored from the original 16mm film and with remastered sound. It's an extraordinary live show with a giant animatronic dragon towering over the stage and spectacular lasers and pyrotechnics. Ronnie James Dio is in fine voice as ever and the band deliver a blistering live performance featuring tracks from their first three albums alongside BLACK SABBATH and RAINBOW classics.

"Finding The Sacred Heart – Live In Philly 1986" track listing:

01. Draco Ignis
02. King Of Rock And Roll
03. Like The Beat Of A Heart
04. Don't Talk To Strangers
05. Hungry For Heaven
06. Medley: 'The Last In Line / Children Of The Sea / Holy Diver / The Last In Line (reprise)
07. Drum Solo
08. Heaven And Hell
09. Keyboard Solo
10. Guitar Solo
11. Sacred Heart
12. Medley: Rock 'n' Roll Children / Long Live Rock 'n' Roll / Man On The Silver Mountain / Rock 'n' Roll Children (reprise)
13. Time To Burn
14. Stand Up And Shout
15. Rainbow In The Dark
01. We Rock

Bonus features include:

* "Sacred Heart Tour" Featurette
* Interview '86
* Interview with Ronnie & Craig
* "Rock 'n' Roll Children" music video
* Behind The Scenes

"Finding The Sacred Heart – Live In Philly 1986" will also be released on Blu-ray, CD and LP.

DIO's lineup on the DVD:

Ronnie James Dio - Vocals
Jimmy Bain - Bass
Vinny Appice - Drums
Craig Goldy - Guitar
Claude Schnell - Keyboards

They should make this a blue-ray and add a bunch more bonus features.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:48 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Damn. Dio is getting like Hendrix... Kicking my Visa's ass over and over again from beyond the grave. :lol:

:BB Beyond The Realms Of Death

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next