Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pantera news
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Rock fans and collectors get ready! Backstage Auctions Inc., the online boutique auction house specializing in authentic rock memorabilia from personal collections of legendary musicians and entertainment professionals, is opening the door to rock fans everywhere with The Vintage Pop & Rock Auction, May 16-23. The online auction event features the personal collections of several music industry notables, including Concrete Management's co-founder Walter O'Brien.

O'Brien worked in the music industry for over three decades doing promotion, publicity, marketing, and artist management. In 1984 he and Bob Chiappardi started Concrete Management on nothing more than a little start up cash and a dream and the rest is history. Since that time O'Brien has worked with and managed some of today's legendary metal artists, including PANTERA, WINGER, WHITE ZOMBIE, ANTHRAX, MINISTRY, METAL CHURCH, PRONG, and others, as well as established rock artists such as GENESIS, PETER GABRIEL, NRBQ, NEKTAR and BRAND X.

"What is fascinating about Walter's personal collection is that while he made a career in the metal industry, he loved all kinds of music and if you parley those two passions, you end up with one very amazing memorabilia collection," explains Jacques van Gool, Backstage Auctions founder. The auction features hundreds of O'Brien's rare music memorabilia pieces, including artist signed items, ephemera, promo items, two juke boxes and an obscenely rare vinyl collection. "The '60s, '70s and '80s vinyl Walter amassed is by far the most single most impressive collection of progressive rock, punk, new wave, synthpop 7- and 12-inch records I have seen in a long time and I would say that 99% of the collection is in mint condition," says van Gool. A few of the highlight pieces are a fully signed THE BEATLES program, 1976 LED ZEPPELIN "Presence" numbered "The Object" promotional piece, John Lennon's "Root" album, a large collection of British '70s vinyl and there is even a "Yellow Submarine" jukebox.

O'Brien's jaw-dropping heavy metal personal memorabilia collection along with several other headbanging metal industry notables, will be featured in an unprecedented heavy metal auction event later this year.

The Vintage Pop & Rock Auction is running for one week ending on Sunday, May 23. The entire auction catalog, which also features the personal collections of legendary drummer Johny Barbata, psychedelic poster artist Bob Masse, Marion Kesker of Sun Records and Stuart Wiener, features over 500 auction lots, is currently live and open for bidding at www.backstageauctions.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
PANTERA, WINGER, WHITE ZOMBIE, ANTHRAX, MINISTRY, METAL CHURCH, PRONG

"One of these things is not like the others...
One of these things just doesn't belong..."

:gig:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:25 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Harmonix and MTV Games today announced that PANTERA's metal masterpiece "The Great Southern Trendkill" will be available next week in the Rock Band Music Store of downloadable content for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation3 computer entertainment system and Wii.

With more than 400 artists, including JIMI HENDRIX, THE WHO, AC/DC and GREEN DAY, who are exclusive to Rock Band, as well as more than 1,200 songs available through the Rock Band platform and 65 million songs sold through its download store alone, Rock Band is the undisputed sales and content leader in the interactive music space, providing the deepest and best selection of artists, songs and albums.

Heavy rock legends PANTERA are making their Rock Band debut next week in a big way, by bringing fan-favorite album, "The Great Southern Trendkill", to the Rock Band Music Library.

"The Great Southern Trendkill" was released in 1996, as the band's eighth studio album, reached No. 4 on the Billboard Top 200 and was declared platinum in August 2004. "Floods", featured on "The Great Southern Trendkill", contains a guitar solo that Guitar World voted its 15th Greatest Guitar Solo of All-Time.

PANTERA released a greatest hits collection in March 2001, titled "1990-2000: A Decade of Domination", which is available exclusively at Walmart and contains 10 remastered tracks. Additionally, former PANTERA drummer Vinnie Paul is set to release an album called "Stampede" from HELLYEAH, his collaboration with members of MUDVAYNE, DAMAGEPLAN and NOTHINGFACE, in July.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (May 25):

* "The Great Southern Trendkill"
* "War Nerve"
* "Drag the Waters"
* "10's"
* "13 Steps to Nowhere"
* "Suicide Note Pt. II"
* "Living Through Me (Hell's Wrath)"
* "Floods"
* "The Underground in America"
* "(Reprise) Sandblasted Skin"

* All tracks are original master recordings; "Suicide Note Pt. I" is not included in this pack.
* These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 May 26

These tracks will be available for purchase as "The Great Southern Trendkill (Album)", as well as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system, and as individual tracks only on Wii.

Price:

* $1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track
* $15.99, £9.99 UK, €12.99 EU (1280 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for "The Great Southern Trendkill (Album)"
* $2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
3 more versions for Steve to buy! :mrgreen:

The 20th-anniversary edition of PANTERA's "Cowboys From Hell" album will be in released on September 14.

Three different versions will be available:

* Two-CD expanded edition,
* Three-CD deluxe edition (includes one unreleased demo track, "The Will To Survive")
* Three-CD deluxe box set (includes one unreleased demo track, "The Will To Survive")

Originally released on July 24, 1990 via Atco Records, "Cowboys From Hell" was produced, engineered and mixed by Terry Date. Just shy of a year after its release on July 16, 1991, the album was certified platinum in the U.S. for sales in excess of a million copies.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 am 
The Lord of Destruction
:x

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:07 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Jason Price of Icon Vs. Icon recently conducted an interview with Philip Anselmo (DOWN, PANTERA, SUPERJOINT RITUAL, ARSON ANTHEM). A few excerpts from the chat follow.

Icon Vs. Icon: We obviously can't talk about PANTERA without talking about Dimebag Darrell's untimely passing. It has been five years and you guys are putting together this commemorative release together. It is clear that his death has had a major impact on you. Is it getting any easier for you as time passes?

Anselmo: No. As a matter of fact, in a strange way, you kinda just took the words out of my mouth and asked the right question. No. Every year gets harder. Every year, when the dates roll by it gets harder and this past year has been the hardest year of all. I think initially, the first year, two years … [pauses] I don't know how long. It was just such a shock. It is very hard to comprehend, but I get it now. I get it now. I understand. Sure, I think about what could be. Yes, I think about Dimebag every day of my life. Every waking day of my life, man. So, no. It doesn't get any easier.

Icon Vs. Icon: You have had a love/hate relationship with the "rock media" for years? What are your thoughts on that part of the industry these days and your relationship with it?

Anselmo: Well, honestly it has a whole lot to do with my attitude. I think for many, many, many years I was a wounded animal lashing out. I was making a lot of mistakes with medication, drugs and alcohol. I was just fucking … [pauses] pardon the F-bomb … but I was just fucking out of my mind and I was really lashing out. After major back surgery, and that is a heck of a struggle, to come back from that both physically and mentally, today I am in a much better place. It is like what I give is what I get back. With the press, when I would fly off at the mouth, the press would eat it alive. Good or bad. I learned that lesson a few different times after being suckered into different confrontational things via different articles or different things in magazines and whatnot. Hence my silence after Dimebag's passing. There was no way I was ready to have a microphone shoved in my face. That is why I shut myself off for a long while. I have had interviewers, not many, I have definitely had a couple that try to wind me up with questions that are designed to do just that. But hey man, it is tough to fool the ol' fat now. You can't fuck … with me.

Icon Vs. Icon: You have been working on your autobiography. Is that your way of shedding some light on the man behind the person we see in the limelight?

Anselmo: Sure! That is an interesting thing to bring up. Writing a book is a very interesting process because you get to go through and find out for yourself what fueled the man as a youngster and all the little different things that happened in succession where you put one foot in front of the other and the next thing you know, you are doing the 20-year anniversary of your first record, ya know?! So it's like "How the heck did I get to be 42 years old?!" It's a hell of a story.

Icon Vs. Icon: Definitely.

Anselmo: I guess the biggest misconception will be deduced by the people from whatever I put out, because I am going to tell the truth. I'm going to be subjective and I am going to come from the gut and from the heart. Look forward to reading that sucker. I have been working tediously on the thing but I am very particular, so don't look for it next week or anything, but it's coming.

Icon Vs. Icon: There have been rumors of a solo album from you circulating in the fan community. Can you elaborate on that at all and how do you envision a Phil Anselmo solo album sounding?

Anselmo: Well, it's vicious. I have been in so many different side projects, I like to say that not all of them sound alike. With that being said, there is no way I would want to rehash anything traditional, so to speak. I'm gonna touch on tradition, ya know. Tradition is distorted guitar, drums, bass. But yes, I have been writing new stuff. Yes, it is super motherfuckin' aggressive. It's at its beginning points man but I got over 10 things that are close. I can't give you a timeline, but I think, little by little, I might leak some here or there when it is done. I will just let people take it in how they want but, once again, I know heavy music. I see where heavy music is. I want to take heavy music like a ball of clay and reshape it, if you catch me. Reshape it differently than it has been shaped before. That is where I am at right now.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Former PANTERA and current DOWN singer Philip Anselmo tells Billboard.com that his collaboration with fellow surviving PANTERA members Vinnie Paul Abbott (drums) and Rex Brown (bass), along with the estate of the late guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, to work together on PANTERA's "Cowboys From Hell" reissue is unlikely to lead to any new original music from the former bandmates.

"I would not want to tarnish the PANTERA name," Anselmo says, according to Billboard.com. "Vinnie himself said a long time ago that if you take any one of us out of the equation and it's just not PANTERA anymore, so I guess I'm just gonna stick to that. And as far as Vinnie and I go, there's a big bridge that both of us would have to cross, and that's an entire subject on its own, before we could even consider making music together."

Regarding the upcoming 20th-anniversary reissue of "Cowboys From Hell" — which is coming September 14 in a three-disc deluxe edition that includes one unreleased song, "The Will to Survive" — Anselmo tells Billboard.com, "It had definitely been a long while since I sat down and listened to 'Cowboys From Hell' from front to back. Basically it was trickier where I thought things might be simplified. We would build these massive intros into songs, and the solo sections, the way they were written was just very, very, very clever. And I can see very clearly how we upped the production. It's been quite an experience."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:56 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Regarding the upcoming 20th-anniversary reissue of "Cowboys From Hell" — which is coming September 14 in a three-disc deluxe edition that includes one unreleased song, "The Will to Survive"

:headsmack:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:23 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
RockHard wrote:
bildo wrote:
Regarding the upcoming 20th-anniversary reissue of "Cowboys From Hell" — which is coming September 14 in a three-disc deluxe edition that includes one unreleased song, "The Will to Survive"

It must be hard to be you. :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
RockHard wrote:
bildo wrote:

It must be hard to be you. :lol:

It is. :?

I'm not going to order this! :nope:

No way in hell! I WILL NOT ORDER THIS!!!! :rant1:

Any idea what the bonus material is? :oops:

:BB I'm Broken

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:37 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The 20th-anniversary reissue of PANTERA's classic "Cowboys From Hell" album sold around 4,200 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 117 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
It sold at least one copy this week too... :oops:

:BB Cemetery Gates

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:41 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
U.K.'s The Skinny recently conducted an interview with DOWN/ex-PANTERA singer Philip Anselmo. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

The Skinny: Is [PANTERA's] "Cowboys From Hell" an album you can listen back to and appreciate as a listener today?

Anselmo: To be honest with you, when we were writing all that stuff — when I was there and living it — there's no way I could deduce how people were going to take it. But when I look back at it today, stuff that I felt was really simple ended up being tricky. Stuff that I thought was pretty plain, regular or ho-hum is pretty spectacular. It's an impressive listen. We get asked a lot about the production and whatnot – it being pretty high-end and tinny — all I can say is I think at the time we were really trying to figure out the best way to take the monstrous guitar sound that Darrell had and put it on a record. You have to understand, you young whippersnappers, back in the day when we did "Cowboys From Hell", we recorded that fucker in 1989 — no Pro Tools, no tricks or whistles. We had to really track that thing; production in itself was changing and I know PANTERA with [producer] Terry Date [who would later oversee SOUNDGARDEN's "Badmotorfinger" and DEFTONES' "White Pony"] producing and Vinnie Paul knowing what he does — we, as a band, helped change the production of heavy metal records. "Cowboys From Hell" was — I would say — a launchpad in many respects — not the actual full figured out article yet but it was a great starting point.

The Skinny: Few bands with PANTERA's intensity have managed to pull off a ballad in the middle of an otherwise aggressive record. Was this something you set out to do on "Cowboys" from the beginning, or was "Cemetary Gates" a bit of a happy accident?

Anselmo: I think it's a little bit of both. Take, for instance, that unreleased track on the new PANTERA rerelease, "The Will to Survive" — we knew that was more of a JUDAS PRIEST-ish power-ballad-type thing. But I think that yes, there was a conscious effort being made to — let me tell you straight — perhaps put something more palatable out for listeners with "Cemetary Gates". But the way we wrote was so for real and things came in such a natural fashion that at the time it didn't feel like, "Hey, we'd better jump on this ballad thing because we need one." It was just a riff that Dimebag wrote and if you think about it, the intro to the song is three minutes long with the acoustic part. That's a six-minute song. So fair enough, you can't say this is a definite radio cut.
The Skinny: "Cowboys From Hell" is regarded as one of the definitive metal albums of all time. What's yours?

Anselmo: From my generation, "British Steel" by JUDAS PRIEST — such a harsh record for its time. We're talking about the early '80s, man, and "British Steel" stood alone. There were also IRON MAIDEN moments, especially "Killers" — the Paul Di'Anno years — but also "Number of the Beast"; very, very influential record. When I say this I don't want anyone to take me the wrong way, but for heavy metal, when I was a kid, BLACK SABBATH was a tremendous influence — everybody wanted to be like BLACK SABBATH. And I've got to say, Randy Rhoads did a hell of a lot for heavy metal guitar playing, so did Eddie Van Halen. They really bumped the guitar sound to a mainstream level. Just listen to Dimebag's playing, he's so Van Halen and Randy Rhoads, but then Dimebag could play a lot of different ways. Figuring PANTERA's such a guitar heavy band, I can't leave those guys out.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:58 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
The "new" track from the upcoming deluxe edition of "Vulgar Display Of Power":

:BB Piss On The Wall

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to USA Today, former PANTERA/DOWN and current KILL DEVIL HILL bassist Rex Brown owes $449,567 to the federal government in back taxes and penalties. Five tax liens have been filed by the Internal Revenue Service, including the most recent and largest lien, for $210,157, in his former home state of Texas in January. A sixth lien for $72,695 was released by the IRS in 2008, which likely means that those back taxes were paid.

The federal government can seize Brown's share of PANTERA's revenue, including royalties from his record and songwriting credits, if a payment plan is not worked out.

Brown last year signed a deal with Da Capo Press to write a memoir. Due in the fall, "Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story Of Pantera" is described as a "starkly honest and revealing" book about Rex's time in one of the most influential and enduringly popular bands in heavy metal history, offering Brown's shocking personal insight into a band that had swapped the grimy clubs of Texas for arenas around the world but whose story would ultimately be touched by tragedy.

De Capo is the publisher of BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi's book "Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven And Hell With Black Sabbath" and SLIPKNOT/STONE SOUR frontman Corey Taylor's New York Times best seller "Seven Deadly Sins - Settling The Argument Between Born Bad And Damaged Good".

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next