Login |  Register

Post subject: Dimebag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:43 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Rock Against Diabetes — an ongoing concert series and fundraising program with the goal of providing information and support to diabetics and people concerned about the disease worldwide — has announced a second event featuring the Dimebag Darrell Stage on October 25, 2008 in Las Vegas, NV. The union came from discussions about the events being held for Rock Against Diabetes with Rita Haney, Dimebag Darrell's longtime girlfriend.

Haney is very close to this disease in her private life as her grandmother is diabetic and her father, Howell Haney, was diagnosed last year as a diabetic. "Once my father became diabetic, that is when I learned that diabetes can kill if not dealt with properly," states Rita. "I feel that this is a cause that we want to support. I know Dimebag would have been there to support a cause that can help, for he was very close to my father and would have done anything for him and vice versa. Dime always had a good heart that was unconditional in giving to many, not just his family."

Rock Against Diabetes' main directive is to attempt to avoid asking the public for donations, but to offer great entertainment and unique fundraising experiences through music to raise funds that are needed to provide some new, ground-breaking support for diabetics.

The Dimebag Darrell Stage lineup is yet to be determined and will be announced in the next month along with the sponsors that support this great charity event.

For more information, go to http://www.rockagainstdiabetes.org

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:39 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The upcoming all-star tribute to fallen PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist and Texas native "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott as part of the Saturday, August 9 one-day stadium spectacular at Dallas' Pizza Hut Park will include an acoustic performance of the PINK FLOYD classic "Wish You Were Here" featuring Jerry Cantrell (ALICE IN CHAINS), Mike Inez (ALICE IN CHAINS), Scott Ian (ANTHRAX) and Pearl Aday (Ian's fiancée and daughter of legendary crooner Meat Loaf). This will be the only acoustic song to be performed as part of the tribute, which will feature Abbott's brother, Vinnie Paul (acting as musical director and playing drums), along with an array of prominent hard rockers. This not-to-be-missed performance will salute the acclaimed guitarist whose December 2004 murder while performing onstage at a Columbus, Ohio club still has the hard rock/metal community reeling.

Cantrell, Ian and Aday previously performed PINK FLOYD's "Wish You Were Here" on May 17, 2007 at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, California as part of the Black Tooth Bash charity benefit show in honor of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. Video footage of that performance can be viewed below.

Artists confirmed to honor "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott at this year's Ozzfest include:

Kerry King (SLAYER)
Jerry Cantrell (ALICE IN CHAINS)
Mike Inez (ALICE IN CHAINS)
King Diamond
Scott Ian (ANTHRAX)
Kirk Hammett (METALLICA)
Jamey Jasta (HATEBREED, KINGDOM OF SORROW)
Chad Gray (MUDVAYNE, HELLYEAH)
Bob Zilla (DAMAGEPLAN, HELLYEAH)

These musicians will stand together onstage, following HELLYEAH's mainstage performance, to pay their respects to their fallen friend with a set including many PANTERA classics.

Dimebag's longtime partner Rita Haney — who has worked tirelessly to keep his spirit alive — organized the tribute along with the Ozzfest team. While this began as an Ozzfest idea, Rita aggressively pursued it and brought together the talent making this homage a reality.

"To have this event on the main stage at Ozzfest in Dallas is such a treat and an honor!" says Rita Haney. "When this tragedy originally happened, I saw the music community come together like I've never seen before. To have the name 'Dimebag' still, to this day, unite musicians to pay homage in such a respectful way, is very overwhelming! In Dime's vision, it's always been about a damn good time!"

"When we decided on Dallas as the site for this year's Ozzfest, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to pay tribute to 'Dimebag' Darrell since it was his hometown," said Ozzfest founder Sharon Osbourne. "Dimebag was a part of our Ozzfest family and everyone in the metal community misses him dearly."

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:53 pm 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
i still dont rate him that high as a guitarist :shrug:

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:39 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Outsourced confession time:

I don't know anything about him except that he was killed and apperantly everybody loved him. :oops:

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:44 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Dragon235 wrote:

Are you kidding me? :evil:

Listen to "Cowboys From Hell"... then, come back and ask for forgiveness... :wink:

bildo wrote:

I don't know anything about him except that he was killed and apperantly everybody loved him. :oops

Wow. :shock:

I'm not sure what you'd think of them. They were pretty thrashy in their prime... but you would probably like their early stuff.

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:23 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
During this past weekend's one-day Ozzfest in Dallas, Chris Steffen of RollingStone.com spoke to members of KORN, SYSTEM OF A DOWN and OZZY OSBOURNE about their memories of PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, who was killed onstage at an Ohio concert in 2004.

Jonathan Davis (KORN): "The shit he did, that's what got me into heavy music — 'Vulgar Display of Power'. I was only into Eighties music before that. The heaviest thing I listened to was SKINNY PUPPY and MINISTRY, but that wasn't metal. When I heard 'Vulgar Display', I was like, 'Holy shit, what the fuck is this?' The first time I ever saw them live, before KORN was even signed, me and Fieldy [KORN bassist] went, and it was PANTERA and SEPULTURA at Irving Meadows in L.A. They came out, started the first song, the curtain dropped, and me and Fieldy just started crying. We looked at each other and we had tears in our eyes because it was so fucking intense and heavy and sick."

Serj Tankian: "When [SYSTEM OF A DOWN] played with PANTERA at the Forum, my parents had come to the show, and my parents are definitely not into heavy music at all. They were older, in their late sixties. What they were doing was very special, to a point where my parents, who are not into any rock or metal or any type of heavy music, really got them. I was blown away, and I said, 'Really? You're not just messing with me?' They said, 'No, we love them. You guys were great, but they are awesome.'"

Blasko (bass, OZZY OSBOURNE): "The first PANTERA song I heard probably would have been 'Cowboys From Hell', which I thought was cool, but I don't think I really got it until 'Vulgar Display of Power'. Then I said, 'Okay, now I get it, now I see what's happening.' When I first heard 'I'm Broken', I thought, 'This is the raddest song ever — the raddest riff.' It just makes me want to break shit. It was like, 'This is the song I wish I wrote.' That was the song where I was just said, 'Fuck!'"

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 am 
Conservative Metalhead/Boobie Inspector
Favorite Band: Armored Saint
RockHard wrote:
Dragon235 wrote:

Are you kidding me? :evil:

Listen to "Cowboys From Hell"... then, come back and ask for forgiveness... :wink:

bildo wrote:

I don't know anything about him except that he was killed and apperantly everybody loved him. :oops

Wow. :shock:

I'm not sure what you'd think of them. They were pretty thrashy in their prime... but you would probably like their early stuff.

:BB Steve

Agreed!!!!

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:30 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
I haven't heard back from him on this one, Nomad.

He better be picking up that disc... or I'm going to break out the Primal Concrete Sledge... :slaughter

:gig:

:BB Fucking Hostile

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:14 am 
Conservative Metalhead/Boobie Inspector
Favorite Band: Armored Saint
RockHard wrote:
Primal Concrete Sledge

Both of those songs are the most in-your-face gut punchers!
Just makes you want to go out and demolish something!

:violent:

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm 
RockHard wrote:

He better be picking up that disc... or I'm going to break out the Primal Concrete Sledge... :slaughter

I've had that disc for year :roll:

he's good, but not my favorite by a long shot

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:46 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Dragon235 wrote:
RockHard wrote:

I've had that disc for year :roll:

he's good, but not my favorite by a long shot

Sounds like we've got our candidate right here, Dave... :lol:

:BB Cemetery Gates

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:44 pm 
The Very Model of a Modern Major General
Favorite Band: Ghost, Edguy, Rush
Eh, he's certainly not my favorite either, he's good, but the rest of the band doesn't do much for me at all.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 am 
The Lord of Destruction
AVR wrote:
Eh, he's certainly not my favorite either, he's good, but the rest of the band doesn't do much for me at all.

That's Heresy... :x

:BB Vinnie Paul

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:25 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Members of RATT and DIVINE HERESY have been added to the the all-star "Black Tooth Jam", which is scheduled to take place tonight (Sunday, August 17) at the Key Club in Hollywood, California (as part of the 2008 Hollywood Rock Convention). The charity "Ride for Dime" will be the recipient of a five-day silent auction taking place over the course of the entire Hollywood Rock event. Also scheduled to appear are KORN drummer Ray Luzier, HELLYEAH/ex-DAMAGEPLAN bassist Bob "Zilla" Kakaha, PRONG mainman/MINISTRY guitarist Tommy Victor, DIRGE/ex-SOIL guitarist Shaun Glass and members of GENITORTURERS, SOULFLY, DEVILDRIVER, SNOT and OPIATE FOR THE MASSES, among many others.

The "Black Tooth Jam" will feature members of:

COMBICHRIST
DIRGE
DIVINE HERESY
DOPE
GENITORTURERS
HELLYEAH
KITTIE
KORN
MINISTRY
NORMA JEAN
OPIATE FOR THE MASSES
PRONG
RATT
SNOT
STATIC-X
STORY OF THE YEAR
TEXAS RIFLES
UNEARTH

Silent auction featuring items including: Art pieces from world-renowned tattoo artists Kore Flatmo, Will Card and more; autographed guitars, cymbals, pedals and more from INTERPOL, BUCKCHERRY, DREAM THEATER, Zakk Wylde, BLACK TIDE, WOLFMOTHER, REV THEORY, SLIPKNOT and more, and other silent auction items will include gift packages and instruments from Atticus Clothing, Dean Guitars, EMG, Dunlop and more.

Ride For Dime was first organized in 2005 by Dallas members/moderators of DAMAGEPLAN's official forum as an event which would not only honor "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, but also raise money to help with the massive expenses incurred by all of the victims that were killed in the December 2004 shooting at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio. The organizers have since shifted their donations to benefit a charity organization of the Abbott family's choice.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 am 
AVR wrote:

Vinnie's a good drummer at least

Profile  Offline

Topic Top