Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Twisted Sister news
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:53 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
I love those videos... :gig:

Paul Ryan? Not so much. I'm glad Dee told him to go play some Kid Rock video instead.

:BB S.M.F.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
According to WCCO-TV, TWISTED SISTER guitarist and manager, J.J. French, and his attorney have sent a cease-and-desist letter to the owners of the Twisted Sister House Of Hunger food truck in Minneapolis, Minnesota asking the business to change its name.

"It is the opinion of our client, with which we concur, that your use of the name Twisted Sister will cause dilution of our client's famous mark and will cause confusion among consumers," the letter read.

"They want us to pull all existence of ourselves from the Internet, all advertising," Wesley Kaake said. "It's a big list of demands."

"I don't know how somebody can get a 20 foot aluminum box mixed up with an '80s rock band," Cody Allen told Kare11.com.

"We never refer to ourselves just solely as Twisted Sister. We are in the food industry not the entertainment industry," Allen added.

Kaake told WCCO-TV at least six other businesses that he knows of, including Twisted Sisters Cupcakes in Virginia Beach, have also been served cease-and-desist notices.

"After talking with five other companies across the country as well as one in Serbia who have received a letter from them, we may not be so eager to back down and take it," said Kaake.

TWISTED SISTER frontman Dee Snider tweeted that he was sorry to hear about the name dispute, he made it clear that is only the lead singer and not part of the band's management, and has insisted that he had nothing to do with this.

Apparently JJ would rather do this for a living than music these days. :roll:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video?aut ... Id=7883431

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:39 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
"...we may not be so eager to back down and take it," said Kaake.

1.) Really? We couldn't think of a better way to phrase that? :lol:

2.) Dee Snider was on "The Apprentice"... and they are all pretty shrewd at marketing. Why would anyone be surprised they're protective of their name? I think it's even trademarked. Hell, the "House Of Hunger" thing is an obvious take on Dee's syndicated "House Of Hair" radio show. I call bullshit if this guy says different. :tsk:

3.) Yeah... It does seem a little silly just the same. :lol:

4.) Is this guy's name really "Kaake"??? :shock:

:BB I'll Never Grow Up Now!

PS ~ All this talk of food and TS has made me put on "You Can't Kill Rock N' Roll"... :beerbang:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Thank god my sister isn't twisted. :o

TWISTED SISTER guitarist and manager, J.J. French, says that he was forced to send a cease-and-desist letter to the owners of the Twisted Sister House Of Hunger food truck in Minneapolis, Minnesota asking the business to change its name because he and his bandmates are required by trademark law to either defend their trademark or lose rights to it.

In the cease-and-desist letter, which was sent last month, French and his attorney wrote, "It is the opinion of our client, with which we concur, that your use of the name Twisted Sister will cause dilution of our client's famous mark and will cause confusion among consumers."

In response, Cody Allen, the proprietor of the food truck, said, "I don't know how somebody cane get a 20-foot aluminium box mixed up with an '80s rock band. We never refer to ourselves solely as Twisted Sister — we're in the food industry, not the entertainment industry."

Wesley Kaake, owner of the Twisted Sister House Of Hunger food truck, told WCCO-TV at least six other businesses that he knows of, including Twisted Sisters Cupcakes in Virginia Beach, have also been served cease-and-desist notices.

"After talking with five other companies across the country as well as one in Serbia who have received a letter from them, we may not be so eager to back down and take it," said Kaake.

Addressing criticism from fans and other observers regarding TWISTED SISTER's decision to initiate the name dispute, French said, "I get how stories like these appear like David vs. Goliath. I also get how easy it is to take cheap shots at my band because of our former image and the '80s-era MTV iconography.

"The fact of the matter is that trademark law doesn't give me a choice on who and what to defend. The law is very clear: either defend your trademark or lose rights to it.

"Over the last 35 years, I have defended my trademark against the biggest companies (Six Flags, Urban Decay, Harley-Davidson) as well as dozens of mom and pop companies. The defense is almost always the same. They first claim that they never heard of the band and then they say that no one would confuse the two anyway. I have won every case. The unique juxtaposition of the words 'Twisted' and 'Sister' have never ever appeared in print prior to my band's use of it. This was established in the Six Flags case. The name is so unique, like LED ZEPPELIN, that any use would confuse the marketplace as either the product or service is owned or endorsed by us.

"Also, if I let one go, that just emboldens someone else with the rationale that 'you didn't bother them, so why go after me.' I have heard this many times before.

"When my band first started, we thought of calling ourselves 'THE MAX FACTOR.' it was a cute idea because we were a 'glam band.' My lawyer at the time then said to me: 'This is a bad idea for two reasons, 1. You will probably be sued for trademark violation and 2. Why would you want to trade on someone else's idea? Think of something original and unique, that way, should you succeed you will be able to take credit for your own special creation.'

"I really don't understand why people feel the need to steal someone else's property. Perhaps they are just lazy. I think that the real reason they used our name and didn't call it The Beatles, Rolling Stones or Motley Crue House Of Hunger is that they knew that they would get sued and perhaps thought that we wouldn't notice.

"Sorry. We did.

"I believe in the American way of 'roll up your shirt sleeves' entrepreneurship. Be proud of your hard work and ingenuity. Be proud of being unique. Provide a service like we did that people love. I also hope these guys give back to the community like we do as we support various charities such as: The Ocular Immunology And Uveitis Foundation (uveitis is the leading cause of blindness among teenage girls in the U.S. — my daughter suffers from it), March Of Dimes Bikers For Babies motorcycle runs, Fallen Blue, Cure Autism Now, the USO (we toured Korea for our troops following the start of the Iraq war), the widows and orphan fund for the NYC EMS workers killed during 9/11 as well as every year providing dozens of signed guitars, CDs, and posters for auctions to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to many other causes.

"In 2013, I will be celebrating 40 years of hard work and dedication. We now headline in 33 countries and have played over 9,000 performances.

"I only wish for these guys to have this kind of success where you start from nothing, zero, against all odds and have a real career. Just please do it on your own terms, with your own ideas, providing a great product or service, just don't steal from others. That is not the American way.

"One last thing. If they food truck still wants to use our name as part of their business (because they can't think of anything more original) and legally license it from me, 100% of the licensing money will go to the OUIF (Ocular Immunology And Uveitis Foundation).

"As you can see, I am proud of what we have created. We have learned that being original, true to yourself, working hard and giving back pays off in ways that one can't even imagine."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:01 am 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Thank god my sister isn't twisted. :o

TWISTED SISTER guitarist and manager, J.J. French, says that he was forced to send a cease-and-desist letter to the owners of the Twisted Sister House Of Hunger food truck in Minneapolis, Minnesota asking the business to change its name because he and his bandmates are required by trademark law to either defend their trademark or lose rights to it.

The article is 100% on that point. If TS doesn't defend their trademark, they are implicitly giving their consent to use it in that way. Trademark law is a 100% "use it or lose it" proposition in that regard.

:BB Shoot 'Em Down

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:57 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
On Sunday, December 16 at 6 p.m., The Emporium in Patchogue presents a very special 90-minute concert with TWISTED SISTER and more actsin support of Long Islanders affected by the worst storm to ever hit the area. The Emporium is donating $10,000 immediately to help the people on the ground right now, and they encourage fans to come down and help them achieve their goal of raising $100,000 for the families affected by Hurricane Sandy. The Emporium will donate 100% of the net proceeds from ticket and bar revenue to worthy Sandy recovery causes and charities: Long Island Cares,Inc. - The Harry Chapin Food Bank (25%); the Island Park Music Program, whose musical instruments were lost in the flood waters (25%); and the remaining 50% to local families in need.

"TWISTED SISTER is a world-renowned superstar hard rock band who grew up on Long Island and proves time and time again that they have never forgotten their roots," said The Emporium owner Tim Lorito, "We are thrilled to be able to partner with them to lend a hand to their fellow Long Islanders in need."

In an effort to raise more money, The Emporium is pleased to announce special ticket packages where you can meet and greet the artists performing, and receive all kinds of cool stuff. See below for all the info. More acts to be announced.

Tickets are available to the public for purchase right now at $40 each in advance at the venue or through Ticketfly.com.

The Emporium is located at 9 Railroad Avenue in Patchogue, NY 11772. Call (631) 627-8787 for more details.

"We are excited to be able to show our love to the people of Long Island who have been impacted by this storm and bring them a rock show for the ages" said JJ French of TWISTED SISTER, who now lives in Manhattan — another one of the areas hit heavily by the Hurricane. "This is certainly going to be a night to remember."

Special ticket packages available:

$200 Gold Ticket (Only 50 Available)

- Commemorative poster pre-signed by the artists + VIP table.

$500 Platinum Ticket (Only 50 Available)

- Meet and greet the artists performing, mingle and take pics + receive a commemorative poster signed by all the artists + TWISTED SISTER "Live In Vegas" CD signed by the band + VIP table.

$900 Diamond Ticket (Only 10 Available)

- Meet and greet the artists performing, mingle and take pics + receive a signed guitar by all the artists performing (guitars donated by All Music) + commemorative signed poster signed by all the artists + "Twisted Christmas" and "Live in Vegas" DVD and CD, both signed by the band + "A Twisted Sister" holiday card personally signed to you from the band + VIP table + dinner that night at The Emporium made special by world-famous Chef Piers.

For more info on The Emporium, visit TheEmporiumNY.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ccording to a post on the Twisted Sister In The Clubs (Unauthorized) 1976-1983 Facebook page, German filmmaker Andrew Horn is putting the finishing touches on a new movie about TWISTED SISTER's club days. He states: "It begins with them in their earliest incarnation as a glam cover band in New Jersey and ends with them signing their deal with Atlantic at the end of '82 after their legendary appearance on 'The Tube' in the UK. It includes many performances in the clubs from that time and a lot of their legendary schtick such as the 'Sweet Jane' drink-'till-you-vomit gong show, the destruction of Hammerheads and, of course, Disco Sucks (and all that that implies). And a great story!"

In May 2011, Eagle Rock Entertainment released the landmark metal debut of 1982, "Under The Blade" by TWISTED SISTER. The CD — originally produced by Pete Way of UFO — also contains four tracks from their 1982 "Ruff Cuts" EP (never before available on CD) as well as "Shoot 'Em Down", an '82 live track from England's prestigious Reading Festival. The lavish package features the original "Under The Blade" cover, which has not appeared on any domestic versions of the album until now, and reflects the original Secret Records track list and remastered audio mix. The DVD contains the entire previously-unreleased Reading concert.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The mother of TWISTED SISTER drummer Anthony Jude "A.J." Pero mother has died.

A statement on the band's official web site reads: "The TWISTED SISTER family would like to extend our profound sympathies to our brother and drummer A.J. Pero upon the death of his mother, Beatrice Pero. Our prayers and wishes go out to A.J.'s family at this difficult time."

In 2011, A.J. Pero was named the national spokesperson for Fallen Blue, which was created as a means to provide support, both emotional and financial, for the families of police officers who are killed outside the line of duty.

Pero has spent his life entertaining rock music fans as the drummer for TWISTED SISTER. He has also dedicated his life to helping others less fortunate with his charity work.

Pero joined TWISTED SISTER in 1982 after he left CITIES, a local New York City band.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
In May 2011, Eagle Rock Entertainment released the landmark metal debut of 1982, "Under The Blade" by TWISTED SISTER. The CD — originally produced by Pete Way of UFO — also contains four tracks from their 1982 "Ruff Cuts" EP (never before available on CD) as well as "Shoot 'Em Down", an '82 live track from England's prestigious Reading Festival. The lavish package features the original "Under The Blade" cover, which has not appeared on any domestic versions of the album until now, and reflects the original Secret Records track list and remastered audio mix. The DVD contains the entire previously-unreleased Reading concert.

I'm going to have to look for a copy of that. I have the "Ruff Cutts" EP on vinyl and ripped it to MP3, but it'd be nice to have an official CD copy of those tunes.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
TWISTED SISTER guitarist Jay Jay French has issued the following update:

"Within the next year, a documentary about the history of the first 10 years of TWISTED SISTER will finally be exhibited from the [German] filmmaker Andy Horn.

"Andy has been working on this documentary for the last four years. The idea came to him after an interview with me concerning another artist named Klaus Nomi who opened for us at the Soap Factory around 1981. At that time, Andy really knew very little about us and became fascinated by the story of our long and winding road to a record deal.

"While most of the world thinks that TWISTED SISTER started in 1984, there are those who know a much different story.

"The band's die-hard fans in the U.K. thought the story began a couple of years earlier when Secret Records signed us in England.

"There does exist, however, a subset of fans who know the real story. Those fans are from the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Those fans spent years supporting us.

"Because of the sheer number of super-sized night clubs that started operating in the tri-state area around 1976, there exists a fan base that only knew us with me, Dee [Snider, vocals], Eddie [Ojeda, guitar] and, for a short time, bassist Ken Neill (with an assortment of changing drummers).

"However, before that, TWISTED SISTER played hundreds of shows at places like the Mad Hatter in East Quouge, Mr. T's & Maxis in Wantagh, in Long Island, The Satellite Lounge, The Wreck Room, Dodd's, The Colony III, The Joker II, The Searchlite, Spruce Goose, The Capricorn and the George Inn in NJ and the Sahara located in Adams, Massachusetts.

"This version, when you look at the photo history of the band, contained me and four people most of you don't know. Vocalist Michael Valentine, guitarist Billy Diamond, bassist Kenny Neill and drummer Mell Starr. Except for Kenny, these former members were either fired or left under very bad circumstances. What happened as a result of the experiences that I had with these ex members formed the basis of my management skills and taught me what to look for in future hiring. In fact, the first breakup of the band in December of 1974 led to a personal crisis at the age of 22, that forever changed my life and taught me how to cope in the face of total failure both professionally and emotionally.

"In short, the lessons learned over those first two years formed the basis of the future of TWISTED SISTER. without having gone through it, the band, as it exists in the hearts of millions of fans around the world, would never had existed.

"To be clear, this in no way implies that Dee, Mark, Eddie and AJ [Pero, drums] would not have found fame in their own right. These are all immensely talented musicians. I can also state that I can't see where I would have succeeded without these guys.

"It was clear to me early on that the first version of the band was never going to make it. None of the members, except Kenny, had what it takes. The lack of focus, professionalism and raw talent of the fist version became obvious and the proof is that of all the original five members, I alone remain standing.

"I will say this, however, about the very early days of TWISTED SISTER: Our agent worked us to death, playing five-six nights a week four-five shows per night. Some shows ended as late as 6 a.m.!

"In those days, you played in one club for three-six nights in a row. In the case of the Mad Hatter in East Quouge, we played 78 nights between May and September.

"So here then, for the first time, is the show schedule of TWISTED SISTER's first year. While rehearsals were well under way in February, the first dates began 40 years ago in March, 1973.

"Have fun. Maybe some of you remember!"

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:15 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Incidentally, I found and bought that remastered "Under The Blade" with the "Ruff Cutts" EP... Great sound quality. :tup

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Update:

According to the Prairie Village Post, a Kansas coffee shop is being forced into changing its name from Twisted Sisters after receiving a letter from attorneys representing John French (or Jay Jay French or John French Segall), who is the guitarist and manager of the rock band TWISTED SISTER.

"At first I thought it was a joke," said Sandi Russell, who along with her sister, Nancy Hansen, are the sisters operating the Mission shop. The lawyers have asked her to make the change in a timely manner and told her she can still use "Twisted," but not in the combination that she uses now.

Russell tells the Prairie Village Post the name for her store, which started in August 2012, is a reference to a family label given to the sisters by their late brother back in the 1960s. He also used to call Nancy the "blond tornado," so Twisted Sisters and the logo, which looks like a tornado sketch are rooted in family and our Kansas location.

Back in November 2012, French released a statement explaining that he was forced to send a cease-and-desist letter to the owners of the Twisted Sister House Of Hunger food truck in Minneapolis, Minnesota asking the business to change its name because he and his bandmates are required by trademark law to either defend their trademark or lose rights to it.

In the cease-and-desist letter, which was sent last October, French and his attorney wrote, "It is the opinion of our client, with which we concur, that your use of the name Twisted Sister will cause dilution of our client's famous mark and will cause confusion among consumers."

In response, Cody Allen, the proprietor of the food truck, said, "I don't know how somebody cane get a 20-foot aluminium box mixed up with an '80s rock band. We never refer to ourselves solely as Twisted Sister — we're in the food industry, not the entertainment industry."

Wesley Kaake, owner of the Twisted Sister House Of Hunger food truck, told WCCO-TV at least six other businesses that he knows of, including Twisted Sisters Cupcakes in Virginia Beach, have also been served cease-and-desist notices.

Addressing criticism from fans and other observers regarding TWISTED SISTER's decision to initiate the name dispute, French said, "I get how stories like these appear like David vs. Goliath. I also get how easy it is to take cheap shots at my band because of our former image and the '80s-era MTV iconography.

"The fact of the matter is that trademark law doesn't give me a choice on who and what to defend. The law is very clear: either defend your trademark or lose rights to it.

"Over the last 35 years, I have defended my trademark against the biggest companies (Six Flags, Urban Decay, Harley-Davidson) as well as dozens of mom and pop companies. The defense is almost always the same. They first claim that they never heard of the band and then they say that no one would confuse the two anyway. I have won every case. The unique juxtaposition of the words 'Twisted' and 'Sister' have never ever appeared in print prior to my band's use of it. This was established in the Six Flags case. The name is so unique, like LED ZEPPELIN, that any use would confuse the marketplace as either the product or service is owned or endorsed by us.

"Also, if I let one go, that just emboldens someone else with the rationale that 'you didn't bother them, so why go after me.' I have heard this many times before.

"When my band first started, we thought of calling ourselves 'THE MAX FACTOR.' it was a cute idea because we were a 'glam band.' My lawyer at the time then said to me: 'This is a bad idea for two reasons, 1. You will probably be sued for trademark violation and 2. Why would you want to trade on someone else's idea? Think of something original and unique, that way, should you succeed you will be able to take credit for your own special creation.'

"I really don't understand why people feel the need to steal someone else's property. Perhaps they are just lazy. I think that the real reason they used our name and didn't call it The Beatles, Rolling Stones or Motley Crue House Of Hunger is that they knew that they would get sued and perhaps thought that we wouldn't notice.

"Sorry. We did.

"I believe in the American way of 'roll up your shirt sleeves' entrepreneurship. Be proud of your hard work and ingenuity. Be proud of being unique. Provide a service like we did that people love. I also hope these guys give back to the community like we do as we support various charities such as: The Ocular Immunology And Uveitis Foundation (uveitis is the leading cause of blindness among teenage girls in the U.S. — my daughter suffers from it), March Of Dimes Bikers For Babies motorcycle runs, Fallen Blue, Cure Autism Now, the USO (we toured Korea for our troops following the start of the Iraq war), the widows and orphan fund for the NYC EMS workers killed during 9/11 as well as every year providing dozens of signed guitars, CDs, and posters for auctions to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to many other causes.

"In 2013, I will be celebrating 40 years of hard work and dedication. We now headline in 33 countries and have played over 9,000 performances.

"I only wish for these guys to have this kind of success where you start from nothing, zero, against all odds and have a real career. Just please do it on your own terms, with your own ideas, providing a great product or service, just don't steal from others. That is not the American way.

"One last thing. If the food truck still wants to use our name as part of their business (because they can't think of anything more original) and legally license it from me, 100% of the licensing money will go to the OUIF (Ocular Immunology And Uveitis Foundation).

"As you can see, I am proud of what we have created. We have learned that being original, true to yourself, working hard and giving back pays off in ways that one can't even imagine."

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6