Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Slayer news
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:15 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Heavy music presenter Christina Rowatt of Soundwave TV conducted an interview with SLAYER guitarist Kerry King on Sunday (February 24) at the Sydney stop of this year's Soundwave festival in Australia. You can now watch the chat in two parts below.

On how stand-in drummer Jon Dette is doing on the Soundwave festival tour:

Kerry: "It's amazing that yesterday was the fifth time we played — period. It was just devastating; it was awesome. He's doing really good, because if we didn't say anything and nobody was paying attention, you wouldn't know. So that means he's doing a great job… It's amazing. He was completely out of playing for awhile, he told me. And then to just be at the level of playing that he is, it's really awesome."

"Last Tuesday. I [first] hit [Dette] up [about playing with us at Soundwave]. And in the thought process, I'm thinking big picture. I''m like, 'How are we gonna get a visa for whoever goes with us?' I went, 'Alright, Jon's with ANTHRAX. Jon knows our stuff. If he couldn't do it, I don't think I could have taught it to anybody in time. So we rehearsed three times and the first show was Brisbane."

On the progress of the songwriting sessions for the new SLAYER album:

Kerry: "I've got 11 songs done. I don't know who's gonna do 'em — I don't know who's gonna produce it, I don't know who's gonna play it. I think METALLICA's got [producer Greg Fidelman] monopolized. He had February open and I was hoping to get some work done in February and then February just got too busy for us. I don't know. If he gets another window, I would like to do it between Australia and Europe in June. That would be great — just be done with it, and it could get mixed while I am out on tour and be out in September or October. That's the perfect world, so we'll see."

"Two [new songs] are done; we recorded two last year with Greg Fidelman, and they just never got mixed. The're done — there are vocals, leads; they are done. And they were gonna put 'em out before [our appearance at the Rockstar Energy Drink] Mayhem [Festival] last year. But that never got done, so I said, 'Why waste 'em on an EP for nothing? [Let's] save them for the record.' Those two are done. The nine others I've just gotta teach whoever's gonna play 'em, and they're ready to go."

"I've been working on the new maerial a lot, and I worked on it a lot with [SLAYER drummer] Dave [Lombardo]. So I haven't decided — if we move on [without Dave] — I haven't decided if I play the new guy what we've done or just play him the guitar stuff that I made up and say, 'What do you think?' 'Cause I know what I want to be there, and I can tell him if it's going in the wrong direction. 'Nah, you've gotta play this.' I haven't even thought this far yet."

On drummer Dave Lombardo's current status with SLAYER:

Kerry: "This just happened a week ago… ten days ago… so I mean, I don't know… It's unfortunate that Dave couldn't be with us; I planned on him being here up until the Monday before I left. And then I saw trouble in paradise, and since I am the mastermind on making decisions like this, I was, like, 'Alright, I've got a backup plan. Just in case.' 'Cause I would have hated to have just Australia blown out. Can you imagine how shitty that would have been? So I did what I thought was best, and we pulled it off."

On whether he saw the dispute with Dave coming:

Kerry: "Tom [Araya, SLAYER bassist/vocalist] did. Tom's been on the fence about Dave for awhile and I was pretty much the one that said, 'Nah, I'm not comfortable moving on [without Dave].' And then it got thrust in our face and I took action immediately and I got a very lucky culmination of things that happened."

Lombardo is sitting out SLAYER's current tour due to a contract dispute with the other members of the group, while guitarist Jeff Hanneman is still recovering from necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease which he is believed to have gotten from a spider bite. Filling in for them are Dette and Gary Holt (EXODUS), respectively.

SLAYER's setlist for the Sydney show was as follows:

01. Disciple
02. Die By The Sword
03. War Ensemble
04. Chemical Warfare
05. Altar Of Sacrifice
06. Jesus Saves
07. Mandatory Suicide
08. Seasons In The Abyss
09. Dead Skin Mask
10. Angel of Death
11. South of Heaven
12. Raining Blood

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Greece's Rock Overdose recently conducted an interview with drummer Dave Lombardo (SLAYER, PHILM, GRIP INC.). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On whether he will be sitting behind the kit for SLAYER when they return to Europe this summer:

Lombardo: "I don't know yet. I hope to be there, but at this point, I don't know if I'm returning or not.

"I love my fans so much and they've been so supportive through the years; they've always been there. And their concern and sadness for what happened in Australia is more than I could have ever imagined fans to react. It's unbelievable. I just love my fans and I hope to continue playing for them. This is all I do. This is my life. I don't do anything else. I don't have a snakefarm, I don't have a farm with cows… I'm not like that. Music is my passion and my life, and this is all I do. SO for the fans to be this nice and kind and concerned, I just love them."

On the status of GRIP INC.:

Lombardo: "Actually, Waldemar Sorychta [GRIP INC. guitarist] and myself, we've been talking, and we hope to bring GRIP INC. together again for some shows here and there. I believe I found a singer who is very… He's a great guy. I think he would fit the position pretty well. His name is Casey Chaos from the band AMEN. So I hope to maybe come out with some new material and, if possible, some shows. I would love to do some shows with GRIP INC. again. I believe we're probably gonna do a… We have a dream of doing a GRIP INC. / PHILM tour, and, of course, I play in both bands. And possibly a new album. I don't know for sure. But I hope so."

Lombardo sat out SLAYER's recent Australian tour due to a contract dispute with the other members of the group. Also missing from the shows was guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who is still recovering from necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease which he is believed to have gotten from a spider bite. Filling in for them were Jon Dette (TESTAMENT, ANTHRAX) and Gary Holt (EXODUS), respectively.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 am 
Metal God
Favorite Band: Queensryche?
R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 02169.html

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Damn. That sucks. I knew he was still having complications from it all, but I assumed he was slowly getting better.

R.I.P.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 am 
Metal God
Favorite Band: Queensryche?
Turns out it was liver failure from heavy drinking.

Flesh eating bacteria is more Slayer-ish.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Jeff Hanneman Memorial Celebration will take place on Thursday, May 23 at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The event will be free and open to the public on a first-come, first-in basis (subject to venue capacity). All ages are welcome, and paid parking will be available around the venue.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm 
Favorite Band: Judas Priest
Rumor has it some nutcase church groups have threatened to picket and protest and do disrespectful things. If that's true I cant wait to see it. Hmmm...let me see. Die hard grieving rabid Slayer fans vs. religous extremists? That's like pitting kittens agains Lions! Should be funny as hell watching the little nerds get their asses kicked.
:hide:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:57 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Toddster wrote:
Rumor has it some nutcase church groups have threatened to picket and protest and do disrespectful things. If that's true I cant wait to see it. Hmmm...let me see. Die hard grieving rabid Slayer fans vs. religous extremists? That's like pitting kittens agains Lions! Should be funny as hell watching the little nerds get their asses kicked.
:hide:

The Westboro Baptist Church also did this same shit when Ronnie Dio died. Everybody stayed peaceful. I'm not sure what is going to happen with a bunch of Slayer fans going.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:17 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
SLAYER has commented on Westboro Baptist Church's plan to picket the public memorial celebration for the band's late guitarist Jeff Hanneman, which will be held May 23 at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles.

The event — which will run from from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m — will be free and open to the public on a first-come, first-in basis (subject to venue capacity, which is listed at around 4,000 people). All ages are welcome, and paid parking will be available around the venue.

A new message on SLAYER's official Facebook page states: "Message to fans: Want to really piss off the Westboro Baptist Church at Jeff's memorial celebration? Do exactly what SLAYER members and family are going to do — totally ignore them. They don't exist. And then come inside and celebrate Jeff's life with us."

In a "news release" announcing its plans to picket Hanneman's memorial celebration, Westboro Baptist Church said: "Jeff Hanneman received his 'talent' from God. Indeed, his very breath of life was from God… Instead of being thankful and using his talents to glorify God, and warn the generation into which he was born to fear and obey God, Hanneman used this resource to encourage sin.

"In last week's Kerrang! magazine, Westboro Baptist Church explained why we will picket this memorial: to warn the living!

"Jeff made a mock of sin through SLAYER's music. No wonder God struck him down early in life.

"In the Kerrang! article, we also speak to the many threats from SLAYER fans.

"Hanneman had been out since 2011, recovering from necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease), but was finally slain May 2, 2013 from alcohol-related cirrhosis of the liver. He was literally pickled in sin.

"God hates and casts down all your idols.

"Repent and obey God Almghty — otherwise HELL AWAITS!"

Westboro Baptist Church previously said that it would sing its "parody" of OZZY OSBOURNE's "Crazy Train" "at full voice" at Hanneman's funeral.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church — the fringe group which continues to make headlines for its anti-gay protests at the funerals of U.S. soldiers regardless of their sexuality — first used lyrics from "Crazy Train" at events surrounding the October 2011 Snyder v. Phelps Supreme Court hearing. An attorney — a daughter of the church's founder, along with her sister — paraphrased lyrics from the song at a post-Supreme Court hearing press conference in Washington D.C.

The Westboro Baptist Church is described by the Wall Street Journal as a "tiny Kansas church… [that] … preaches that U.S. deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq are punishment for American's tolerance of homosexuality and abortion." As Examiner.com noted of the church, "their flamboyant demonstrations at the funerals of non-gay service members, using the events to highlight their belief that military deaths overseas are justified punishment for U.S. tolerance of homosexuality. ('You're Going to Hell,' 'Thank God for Dead Soldiers,' and 'God Hates You' are popular Westboro slogans.)."

Members of SLAYER released a statement on May 9 saying that Hanneman died of alcohol-related cirrhosis.

The guitarist had actually not been playing with SLAYER for more than two years since he contracted necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease, from a spider bite in his backyard in January 2011. The infection ravaged the flesh and tissues of Hanneman's arm, leading to numerous surgeries, skin grafts and intense periods of rehab that forced him into semi-retirement and left him near death at several points.

Hanneman's last appearance with SLAYER was in April 2011, when he played an encore with the band at the "Big Four" concert in Indio, California.

Hanneman recalled in a 2011 interview with Classic Rock magazine that he initially didn't even feel the spider bite, adding, "But an hour later, I knew that I was ill. I could see the flesh corrupting. The arm was real hot. I got to the emergency room, and thank god the nurse knew straight away what it was . . . At that point, I was an hour away from death."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Former SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo says that he learned via the Internet that he was being replaced for the band's forthcoming European tour.

"And…. There you have it folks!" Lombardo tweeted shortly after Paul Bostaph's return to SLAYER was officially announced.

Asked by a fan via Twitter whether he heard directly from the other members of the band that he was not going to be joining them on the road this summer or if he just read it online "like the rest of us," Lombardo replied: "online."

Lombardo sat out SLAYER's recent Australian tour due to a contract dispute with the other members of the group. Filling in for him was Jon Dette (TESTAMENT, ANTHRAX).

During an interview with the KZRADIO.NET alternative radio station in Israel conducted on May 1 — just one day before the tragic passing of SLAYER guitarist Jeff Hanneman — Lombardo stated about his the circumstances that led to him being absent from the latest SLAYER trek: "Basically, I had to renegotiate my contract two and a half years ago and I got an attorney because it was too complicated for me to do it myself. And my attorney was asking questions. And the answers she got from her questions, they weren't correct; they weren't the right answers. So we worked on it for two and a half years. And 2013 came around and SLAYER had to go on tour, and I said, 'Guys, I can't go on tour unless we resolve this, I've been advised.'"

He continued: "What I need is clarity — clarity and transparency.

"You go and make money for somebody, and if somebody is gonna pay you a percentage, you need to know where all this goes. They say I don't deserve to know, but I think if you're gonna pay somebody a percentage, they deserve to know. Because how are you gonna know what you got paid when you don't know everything else?

"It's a little complicated, and there's more to it as well. But I'm trying [to work it out with the guys so I can return to the band]. I sent an e-mail out to Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] and Tom [Araya, SLAYER bassist/vocalist] before I left on this tour [with PHILM]. I said, 'Guys, let's work this out like men. C'mon. Let's work it out. The history of the band is gonna fall apart. The fans are gonna be disappointed. We need to do this for the history of the band; it's something we need to keep together.' And I have heard no reply; they have not contacted me.

"They feel that because I left in 1992 and I left for 10 years, they feel I don't deserve [to know all the details of their business].

"I mean, I love the guys — they're like my brothers — and I wish this didn't happen. But now there's like this wall between us."

Regarding some fans' criticism that money should not get in the way of the members of SLAYER making music together, Lombardo said: "What people don't understand is that, being a musician, you have to be a part businessman. There's contracts… If you're a musician and you don't have a contract and you don't follow up on your business, people are gonna take from you and they're gonna steal from you.

"Chuck Berry, Ray Charles… all those guys in the early days, they made, let's say, $500. Well, a poor musician will be happy with $100. 'Wow, I made $100.' Well, what happened to the other $400? Who took the other $400?

"[Being] musicians, you have to understand business as well as your art and your music, and you have to be professional."

On the topic of whether he can foresee himself returning to SLAYER in the not-too-distant future, Lombardo said: "It's hard to say. It's hard to say. I really wish we could work it out. Again: my door is open. I'm ready to talk; I'm ready to negotiate. If they don't want to, it's on them.

"The fans have spoken. I believe the fans have spoken and they feel that the band needs to stay together and not bring in some hired guy that… I mean, Jon [Dette] is a great guy, but has he done any albums? Jon Dette, the drummer for SLAYER now, has he done any albums? Has he ever recorded anything? I don't think so. How can they get a guy like that to take my place that has not done anything in his career? What kind of musical choice is that for an artist? That's like me bringing in somebody that's not into heavy music into my band or something… I don't know… It's just very strange.

"I hope things work out. I hope everything works out for the fans; that's what I want. And for the history of the band. When we get older and we can't play anymore, I want the band to go out being still SLAYER. 'Cause we're all still alive. Can you imagine if one of us was dead? Then it's hard. It's like LED ZEPPELIN. You know, LED ZEPPELIN with Jason Bonham is not the same; it's not the same. I hear double pedal in Jason Bonham and it's, like, 'Why are you doing that?' ZEPPELIN is about single bass, you know."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
In the August 2013 issue of Guitar World magazine, Kathryn Hanneman, the wife of late SLAYER guitarist Jeff Hanneman, recalled the spider bite that he suffered in January 2011 and the resulting infection that ravaged the flesh and tissues of Jeff's arm, leading to numerous surgeries, skin grafts and intense periods of rehab that forced him into semi-retirement and left him near death at several points.

"Jeff had been visiting a friend in the L.A. area," said Kathryn. "He was in the Jacuzzi one night relaxing, and he had his arm over the side, and he felt something, like a bite or a prick. But of course he didn't think anything of it. He came home about a week later, and he was pretty well lit when he came through the front door. He wasn't feeling well, and he just wanted to go upstairs and go to sleep.

"Before he did he said, 'Kath, I need to show you something, even though I really don't want to.' And he took off his shirt, and I just freaked out when I saw his arm. It was bright red and three times the normal size. I said, 'Jeff, we need to go now. We need to get you to the ER.' But all he wanted to do was go to bed and sleep, and I knew that I was trying to rationalize with a very intoxicated person. So there was nothing I could do that night. But the next morning I convinced him to let me take him in. He didn't have a lot of strength, but I was able to get him into the car.

"When we got to the hospital in Loma Linda, they took one look at him and they immediate knew what it was, so they took him right in. Jeff told me to go home because we both knew he'd be there for hours and neither of us thought it would be a life-or-death situation.

"About three or four hours later, Jeff called me and said, 'Kath, it's not good. They may have to amputate. I think you need to come back here.' When I got there, Jeff was on the stretcher waiting to go into surgery, and the doctor put it in perspective for me. He said, 'I need you to see your husband. He may not make it.' The doctor looked at Jeff and told him, 'First I'm going to try to save your life. Then I'm going to try to save your arm. Then I'm going to try to save your career.' And looking at Jeff on that stretcher and possibly saying goodbye, knowing that I may never see him again… was one of the hardest moments of my life."

According to Kathryn, Jeff struggled emotionally and developed major depression after he returned home and began the process of rehabilitating his arm in the hopes of regaining his ability to play guitar.

"I couldn't get Jeff to go to rehab or therapy," Kathryn said. "I think he was letting the visual of his arm get to his emotions, and it was messing with his mind. It was hard to keep him upbeat at that point.

"I think he thought he could do this on his own — that he would just to go rehearsal and play, and that that would be his rehab. But I think he started to learn, once he tried rehearsing, that he wasn't playing up to his ability and that he wasn't able to play guitar at the speed he was used to. And I think that really hit him hard, and he started to lose hope."

For the rest of this story, plus a Jeff Hanneman poster, order a copy of the Guitar World August 2013 issue at the Guitar World online store

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15