Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Sonata Arctica news
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:12 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Spinefarm Records has set a June 24 Finnish release date for the third solo album from SONATA ARCTICA guitarist Elias Viljanen, entitled "Fire-Hearted". According to the label "there will be 12 tracks on the album and 10 of the tracks will be instrumental." Guest musicians on the CD include vocalists Marco Hietala (NIGHTWISH, TAROT) and Tony Kakko (SONATA ARCTICA), keyboardist Henrik Klingenberg (SONATA ARCTICA), bassist Jari Kainulainen (EVERGREY, ex-STRATOVARIUS) and drummer Mikko Sirén (APOCALYPTICA).

"Fire-Hearted" track listing:

01. Fire-Hearted
02. Last Breath of Love (feat. Marco Hietala)
03. Cruel Groove
04. Kiss of Rain (feat. Tony Kakko)
05. Head up High
06. Up to Speed
07. Supernatural
08. One Tonight
09. The Triumph
10. My Guiding Light
11. Showstopper
12. Beautiful Piece

"Fire-Hearted" recording lineup:

* Elias Viljanen - Guitar
* Tony Kakko - Vocals (on "Kiss of Rain")
* Marco Hietala - Vocals (on "Last Breath of Love")
* Jaan Wessman - Fretless Bass Guitar (on "Beautiful Piece")
* Henrik Klingenberg - Keyboards
* Jari Kainulainen - Bass
* Tomi Ylönen - Drums (on "The Triumph", "Cruel Groove", "Up to Speed", "Head Up High", "Showstopper" and "My Guiding Light")
* Mikko Sirén - Drums (on "Supernatural", "Beautiful Piece", "Last Breath of Love", "Kiss of Rain", "Fire-Hearted" and "One Tonight")

Viljanen has been touted as Finland's answer to Joe Satriani, and his second solo album, "The Leadstar" (2005), featured "lightning speed, spark flying chops, flashy moves, and supreme melodies that rise from below and expand beyond the heavens," according to a press release. That CD also inclided Elias' hard rock, instrumental cover of LIONEL RICHIE's monster hit "Hello".

Viljanen joined SONATA ARCTICA in the fall of 2007.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:23 pm 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
I love how half of the band is Sonata Arctica players. If he's the answer to Satriani, I'll have to check him out.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:17 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA will play a handful of headlining dates prior to and at the end of their North American tour with DRAGONFORCE. These shows will be the only SONATA ARCTICA headlining gigs until next spring.

The details are as follows:

Sep. 17 - San Marcos, CA - Jumping Turtle
Oct. 12 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theater
Oct. 13 - Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
Oct. 15 - London, ONT (Canada) - Music Hall
Oct. 16 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's Down Under
Oct. 17 - Louisville, KY - Uncle Pleasants
Oct. 18 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave

Tickets are available now exclusively through EnterTheVault.com until July 10 at which point they go onsale through all normal ticketing systems.

No more dates will be added.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA will release their new album, "The Days Of Grays", on September 18 in Europe and September 22 in North America through Nuclear Blast Records.

The track listing for the effort is as follows:

Limited 2CD Digipack:

01. Everything Fades To Gray (instrumental)
02. Deathaura
03. The Last Amazing Grays
04. Flag In The Ground
05. Breathing
06. Zeroes
07. The Dead Skin
08. Juliet
09. No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart
10. As If The World Wasn't Ending
11. The Truth Is Out There
12. Everything Fades To Gray (full version)

Bonus Track:

13. In The Dark

Bonus CD: track listing to be announced

CD Jewelcase:

01. Everything Fades To Gray (instrumental)
02. Deathaura
03. The Last Amazing Grays
04. Flag In The Ground
05. Breathing
06. Zeroes
07. The Dead Skin
08. Juliet
09. No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart
10. As If The World Wasn't Ending
11. The Truth Is Out There
12. Everything Fades To Gray (full version)

SONATA ARCTICA keyboardist Henrik "Lance" Klingenberg previously described the band's new material as "a bit darker and maybe not so complex as [2007's] 'Unia'. Nevertheless, it's definitely not a back-to-the-roots album with fast power metal. All the trademark SONATA stuff is on there, solos, lots of singing some slower songs."

SONATA ARCTICA will play a handful of headlining dates prior to and at the end of their North American tour with DRAGONFORCE. These shows will be the only SONATA ARCTICA headlining gigs until next spring.

The details are as follows:

Sep. 17 - San Marcos, CA - Jumping Turtle
Oct. 12 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theater
Oct. 13 - Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
Oct. 15 - London, ONT (Canada) - Music Hall
Oct. 16 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's Down Under
Oct. 17 - Louisville, KY - Uncle Pleasants
Oct. 18 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave

Tickets are available now exclusively through EnterTheVault.com until July 10 at which point they go onsale through all normal ticketing systems.

No more dates will be added.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:37 am 
Favorite Band: Dream Evil
Can't wait for these guys in September when they come here with Dragonforce :D

Listen to what I say And what I say is right You see I rule the night

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:27 am 
i've steadily enjoyed these guys more than I used too. Might pick this one up.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the new SONATA ARCTICA video, "Flag In The Ground", can be viewed below. The song comes off the Finnish melodic metallers' new album, "The Days Of Grays", which will be released on September 18 in Europe and September 22 in North America through Nuclear Blast Records.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:04 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Angry Metal Guy recently conducted an interview with keyboardist Henrik "Lance" Klingenberg of Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Angry Metal Guy: The biggest news besides you guys having a new album is that this record is being recorded with a new guitarist by the name of Elias [Viljanen]. How's that going?

Henrik: Well, it's going pretty well. I mean, he doesn't feel so new for us because he started playing on the tour with the last album and then he joined the band during the last tour. So he's been in the band now for two years, I think, even more, you know, three years. So, you know, of course it was a new experience to work with the new guy in the studio and he's just been, from day one, a really easy-going, mellow guy and it's just, I mean, he's really easy to work with. He's open-minded to whatever we can throw his way and he can actually play anything that comes into your head so that always helps.

Angry Metal Guy: Has it been weird working in the studio without Jani [Liimatainen; former guitarist] and with Elias?

Henrik: Well, the way we work nowadays is that we pretty much rehearse together and then everybody records wherever they feel like, so we usually record at different studios anyway. So, I didn't see him in the studio at all because he lives four hours south from here so he was recording in his hometown and then just sending us the files. The rehearsals were a little bit different when Jani wasn't here, but it's kind of, I think it would've been much more difficult if he had just joined the band straight at the beginning of the recording process. But we played the whole last world tour with him which was almost two years, and we spent so much time together before so it wasn't really awkward or it didn't really seem that weird at all.

Angry Metal Guy: With the writing then, since he's been touring with you guys before this, does any of that happen on the road? Or do you guys come back from tours and then go into your own separate corners and then Tony [Kakko, vocals] comes back with songs? Or, how does that work?
Henrik: Tony writes all, or most, of the music, so whenever he's home he writes stuff when he feels like it. Of course, on the road, I don't think he gets anything done. I think nobody else gets anything done either. I mean, on tour it's uh.. well, during the first days you can kind of have your energy and kind of do something reasonable but then pretty soon when you're just sitting in the bus days in and days out the only energy you have is on stage and outside of that we turn into this fucking amoebas or something and you just sit there and pick your nose and play PlayStation or something. At least for me it's really hard to get anything creative done on the road. So with this album, it was like we did the tour and then in the beginning of December last year, and then the rest of us had two months off while Tony was finishing up, he had some songs left already that he had written before. He wrote songs for a couple of months and then we got together and started rehearsing. That's pretty much how it works.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:08 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
"The Last Amazing Grays", the new single from Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA, entered the official chart in the band's home country at position No. 4.

Commented SONATA ARCTICA keyboardist Henrik "Lance" Klingenberg: "Our last single, 'Paid in Full', took the pole position so naturally the only way from No. 1 is down." He added, "Right now we're rehearsing new songs for our upcoming U.S. tour so there's really not too much time to dwell on these kinds of things anyway.

"We've played through around half of the songs from the album and there will be some cool surprises in the setlist. It's been around 10 months since our last proper tour so we're really excited about getting back on the road."

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:44 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
"The Days Of Grays", the new album from Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA, was certified gold in the band's home country on the day of its release for sales in excess of 15,000 copies.

SONATA's previously album, "Unia", was certified gold in Finland back in May 2007 and is approaching platinum status (30,000 records sold).

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:33 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
"The Days Of Grays", the new album from Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA, has entered the official chart in the band's home country at position No. 2. The CD was certified gold in Finland on the day of its release for sales in excess of 15,000 copies.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm 
Damn, gold in one day. cool :tup

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:57 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
"The Days Of Grays", the new album from Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA, has entered the official chart in the band's home country at position No. 2. The CD was certified gold in Finland on the day of its release for sales in excess of 15,000 copies.

Wow! That's like 5 copies for every person in Finland... :shock:

Just playing... :P

:BB Cold Sweat

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
"The Days Of Grays", the new album from Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA, has registered the following first-week chart positions:

Finland: #2
Germany: #24
Sweden: #31
Norway: #46
Netherlands: #50

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:59 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Finnish melodic metallers SONATA ARCTICA have issued the following statement:

"Due to an infection of his vocal cords, singer Tony Kakko had to see a doctor in Budapest. The singer's infection has forced the band to cancel today's (November 18) show in Graz, as well as the show in Vienna (November 19) and Munich (November 20).

"SONATA ARCTICA deeply regret to disappoint their fans but will be back to these cities the soonest possible, exact dates will be announced shortly. Tickets already purchased will be still valid later on!

"We do hope the infection will be gone as soon as possible, so we can continue our tour in Pratteln at Z7 on November 22."

SONATA ARCTICA will embark on a North American headlining tour in the spring. Support will come from MUTINY WITHIN and POWERGLOVE. Tickets are on sale exclusively through EnterTheVault.com until December 3, at which point they will be made available through all normal ticketing systems.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top