Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Alice In Chains news
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
According to The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the mother of late ALICE IN CHAINS singer Layne Staley has filed a lawsuit against the surviving members of the band, asking for a court order establishing her right to 16 percent of the group's revenue — half of the money due Staley — as well as any of her son's assets currently controlled by the band.

According to the lawsuit, an attorney for ALICE IN CHAINS members Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney told Staley's mother, Nancy McCallum, last September that the revenue-sharing agreement that had seen her paid in the decade after the singer's death would be terminated. Band attorney Peter Paterno also alleged in a December 2012 letter that McCallum has tried to trademark the ALICE IN CHAINS name, a move he described as "disturbing."

Staley's former bandmates say the singer's heirs will be able to collect royalties on songs he wrote or co-wrote, while arguing McCallum no longer has a role in the band’s business decisions.

Royalties on songs he wrote wasn't enough? She wanted to trademark the band's name? :?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Audio samples of all the tracks that are set to appear on ALICE IN CHAINS' new album, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", can be found on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-d ... d622941441

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:09 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ALICE IN CHAINS' fifth studio album, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", is likely to sell between 60,000 and 65,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on May 28 via Capitol. The disc follows up 2009's "Black Gives Way To Blue", which was the group's first all-new collection of material in 14 years. That CD opened with 126,000 units back in October 2009 to land at position No. 5 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:39 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Last month, JimDunlop.com asked its Facebook, Twitter and Google+ communities to post questions for ALICE IN CHAINS' Jerry Cantrell. The 11 best questions were chosen about his writing process, gear, playing style and other fun stuff, and were sent to Jerry, who recently answered them. An excerpt follows below.

JimDunlop.com: After almost 25 years through ALICE IN CHAINS and solo projects, what do you do to stay original, innovative and keep your signature guitar style without being repetitive?

Cantrell: Half the battle is finding your own unique sound, or your music fingerprint, that people will recognize. But really, it's just how you naturally sound, so I don't have to think about holding on to that because I sound how I sound. That's good, and that's where you wanna be — you want to naturally sound like you. As for the variety of the writing material in the different areas of the band, I think it's pretty apparent by all the records that we've done. I've been in a really great band that's been able to move in a lot of variant voicings and incorporate a lot of elements from different kinds of music in making our own, from acoustic to the heavy stuff, and everything in between. But you have to trust in the fact that you're going to sound how you sound, and the way you keep fresh and moving forward is sort of forgetting about what you did the in past. But I don't really need to think about that, and I've been really fortunate in that aspect, not only with myself but with my band. I trust that we're going to be okay, and that we're doing something good. In my opinion, we haven't done anything crappy yet, which is cool — it's the best thing I could ask for. Also, we've had a long career, we've made a lot of records, and every record is different from every other one before it. Keeping fresh just means making another record and writing new songs. Keeping your signature sound? That's just who you are.

JimDunlop.com: Where do you draw inspiration for the quality of your writing? The imagery is amazingly fantastic, and your work always inspires me to pick up a guitar and a pen.

Cantrell: When I first started paying, I was inspired by everybody that I ever enjoyed listening to, and some of them weren't even guitar players. But you know, you start off emulating your heroes. For me, it was learning AC/DC songs, UFO, BLACK SABBATH, VAN HALEN — those were a small portion of many bands that influenced me to start — but also had a lot of friends who played in cover bands, and I learned early on that it was not the move I wanted to be making. I wanted to be writing my own stuff, like all those great players and bands were. So not only was I inspired to learn how to play guitar, but I was also inspired to learn how to write songs like those bands were writing for themselves. I knew that was the ticket, rather than playing everybody else's stuff three sets a night in a Top-40 cover band. But ultimately, you find inspiration where ever you find it. It's not some big artsy-fartsy, flowery, ethereal thing for me, it's more of a gut-level thing, and it happens when it happens. I've been able to train myself over the years to know at least initially if an idea is good enough to follow, and also to learn to record any idea — because my perspective on it may change over time — and then do what it takes to make that idea happen. You need to sit there with your guitar and hit record and keep doing it and doing it until it happens.

JimDunlop.com: What does Jerry the "regular guy" do for fun?

Cantrell: It was poker for a while, and I still love the game — it's a nice activity for not thinking about anything other than what you're doing — and I used to fish quite a bit, which I haven't done lately as much as I should, because I love getting outside. A big part of being a musician is spending time in really confined spaces with a lot of other people, so it's really good to get out of that environment and get outside. You know, you're in a studio, in a hotel room, in a van, plane, or a dressing room, a venue — all enclosed spaces — so anything that can get you outside is a good thing. So yeah, I love fishing, especially deep sea fishing. Golf is another great activity. I'm totally shitty at it but I love to play, and it's more about getting outside and doing something that I can focus on, and it's a little healthy, and fun and competitive, and I love that too.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:51 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ALICE IN CHAINS' fifth studio album, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", sold 62,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 2 on The Billboard 200 chart. The disc follows up 2009's "Black Gives Way To Blue", which was the group's first all-new collection of material in 14 years. That CD opened with 126,000 units back in October 2009 to debut at No. 5.

ALICE IN CHAINS was last in the Top Two with its self-titled 1995 set, which debuted at No. 1 on that year's November 25 chart, according to Billboard.com. It would be their final studio release with singer Layne Staley, who died in 2002.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:11 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ALICE IN CHAINS has uploaded an 18-minute YouTube clip containing audio samples of all the tracks that appear on the band's fifth studio album, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here". Check it out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ccUQmlK2Aw

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
Anagram title revealed:

ALICE IN CHAINS has set a May 14 release date for its new album, which is officially titled "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here".

That was my second guess. :lol:

Stupid title. Just sayin'...

bildo wrote:
According to The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the mother of late ALICE IN CHAINS singer Layne Staley has filed a lawsuit against the surviving members of the band, asking for a court order establishing her right to 16 percent of the group's revenue — half of the money due Staley — as well as any of her son's assets currently controlled by the band.

According to the lawsuit, an attorney for ALICE IN CHAINS members Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney told Staley's mother, Nancy McCallum, last September that the revenue-sharing agreement that had seen her paid in the decade after the singer's death would be terminated. Band attorney Peter Paterno also alleged in a December 2012 letter that McCallum has tried to trademark the ALICE IN CHAINS name, a move he described as "disturbing."

Staley's former bandmates say the singer's heirs will be able to collect royalties on songs he wrote or co-wrote, while arguing McCallum no longer has a role in the band’s business decisions.

Royalties on songs he wrote wasn't enough? She wanted to trademark the band's name? :?

READ: Steal.

"Disturbing" is a good way to put it. She must have run through the rest of Layne's money... That story is disturbing all around, if you ask me. I certainly think she (and his other heirs are entitled to his share of the royalties)... but why would she ever had had a "role in the band's business decisions?"

It sounds like they tried to be nice and take care of her after her son's death... and now she's going to bleed them dry because of it. Disturbing definitely fits. So does greedy and shameful.

:BB Bleed The Freaks

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10