Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alice In Chains news
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
MusicRadar.com recently conducted an interview with ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

MusicRadar.com: You and William [DuVall] have this uncanny ability to match the vocal harmonies that you and Layne [Staley] established. Was this apparent to you early on — and did you think, "Isn't that weird?"

Cantrell: "Well, the style is the same, and that goes to how I write and how the band sounds. The three of us…you know, Sean [Kinney, drums] and I started this band 23 years ago, so we know how to sound like ourselves. Layne was, of course, a big part of that — and that's obviously the challenge.

"We're not gonna start sounding like someone else. William's a different individual than Layne, and having a talented guy like him who's willing to take the comparisons that you or anybody else will throw at him…he's willing to be himself, and that's the only way that would work.

"William doesn't sound like Layne to me; he sounds like William. I know what Layne sounds like. The writing style and the players are the reasons it sounds the way it sounds, and although we lost a big part of the band, there's a big part of the band that's still around."

MusicRadar.com: You're pretty much the co-vocalist in the band. You sing a lot of songs.

Cantrell: "I always have."

MusicRadar.com: And Layne encouraged that. He pushed you to sing - very much in a BEATLES kind of way. You guys always struck me as a Lennon and McCartney, in that there was no lead singer per se.

Cantrell: "Yes. That's a really great thing to use those two guys as an example — and of course, a band that's inspired so many musicians and continues to. I always admired that about them, and many other bands who not only had one great vocalist, but two.

"I was always amazed at the depth of bands that could do that. The cool thing is, you have two guys that can be individuals, but the combination of the two makes one. I always liked that about our band. Obviously, if we were going to continue, that's kind of interwoven in the blueprint. It's just the way it is. We would have to find somebody who could operate in the system, and yet bring what they bring to the table — and that person ended up being William."

MusicRadar.com: Before we get more into the new record, let me ask you, what is your fondest memory of Layne?

Cantrell: "I don't really have a 'fondest memory.' There's…there's so many of them. I spent a good portion of my life with him. He was our best friend and a brother and collaborator.

"The whole thing was good, even the tough stuff. Life's not always good, but even the parts that aren't so good are an important part of a life. I feel very lucky to have known him, and to have known him as well as I did."

MusicRadar.com: The lyrics on the new record are deeply personal. Do you keep a journal? [Cantrell laughs] I just can't imagine you sitting in the studio and coming up with these lyrics on the spot.

Cantrell: "ALICE has always been a band that spoke from personal experiences. That's really what works best, your personal perspective, and not only trying to create something that means something to you but translates to somebody else.

"That's not necessarily so tough, because we're not very different as human beings. We all go through pretty similar events in life. I've never been a big 'journal-er.' But I go through pretty intense writing phases, and when I do, that's pretty much all I do."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Pulse of Radio reports that the new episode of "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew", which aired on VH1 on Thursday night (February 18), focused on former ALICE IN CHAINS bassist Mike Starr coming to terms with his own guilt over the drug-related death of his friend and bandmate, ALICE IN CHAINS singer Layne Staley. The episode featured an appearance from Staley's mother, Nancy McCallum.

Despite Starr's involvement and McCallum's appearance, however, other members of ALICE IN CHAINS have been vocal about their distaste for the program. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell blasted the show recently in a radio interview and drummer Sean Kinney told The Pulse of Radio he feels the same as Cantrell. "It exploits people at their lowest point, when they're not in their right mind, and the sad part is, this is like entertainment for people when it's actually a life-and-death situation. I don't think it helps anybody and it makes entertainment out of people's possible death, and that's pathetic and it's stupid. So I don't support that show at all and I think it's pretty disgusting. But Mike getting his life together or anybody doing that, I'll support that."

Jerry Cantrell remarked to an Atlanta radio station about "Celebrity Rehab", "That particular show, I think it's a real travesty and a shame to put people in a really vulnerable situation like that and make it entertainment for people to see."

Starr was ALICE IN CHAINS' first bass player and played with the band from 1987 to 1993. He appeared on the band's first two albums, "Facelift" and "Dirt", but left in the middle of the "Dirt" tour and was replaced by current bassist Mike Inez.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 am 
I saw an episode and he is right out there bigtime. He was talking about how great Tom Sizemore was when he finally decided to go to rehab as he was basically jerking the staff around. No one forced these people into being on camera. Any attention seems to be better then no attention in their minds.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
Jerry Cantrell remarked to an Atlanta radio station about "Celebrity Rehab", "That particular show, I think it's a real travesty and a shame to put people in a really vulnerable situation like that and make it entertainment for people to see."

:clap:

:BB "The Biggest Loser"

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:10 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Pulse of Radio reports: ALICE IN CHAINS recently teamed up with Popcult and Devil's Due Comics to create a comic book "sequel" to the conceptual video for the band's current single, "Your Decision". Fans can post their ideas for follow-up chapters at a special web page for viewing and voting by the public. The five submissions given the most positive votes will be used as the basis for a five-chapter comic book that will be drawn by a professional artist and posted online as a free PDF download.

Although the band will be involved in the judging, only singer William DuVall says he used to be a comic book fan himself. "When I was really little, like four or five years old, and people asked me what I wanted to be, I used to say 'cartoonist,' and I was huge into the Batman," he says. "Like, I knew the whole history of it from the '30s to, you know, what was then the present day and absolutely loved it. Not as much anymore, there's a lot of graphic novel stuff coming out that's really cool and I brush up against it, but I used to be avid."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ALICE IN CHAINS recently teamed up with Popcult and Devil's Due Comics to create a comic book "sequel" to the conceptual video for the band's current single, "Your Decision". A page was set up online featuring a master storyboard with the book's opening chapter, where fans were then asked to post their ideas for what they think should be the next chapter in the story. All new chapter ideas could be read and voted on by other users, with the five most liked submissions used as the basis for five new chapters.

ALICE IN CHAINS drummer Sean Kinney explained how the idea came into being. "Originally when we made the video, we were gonna have several different endings for it, and all the time constraints and all this stuff, we didn't get around to it," he said. "So now we're gonna let people take the story from where it sort of just ends up, and we're gonna let people just write their own endings, and which ones are deemed the best that they judge, there's an artist that's gonna illustrate it and make a comic book out of it."

The five winning chapters were made into a "Make Your Decision" comic book, with the grand prize winner for the best single entry winning a trip to meet and see ALICE IN CHAINS in New York City on March 9.

The final comic book is now available as a free PDF download at this location.

http://content.velvethammer.net/alice/y ... dcomic.pdf

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:07 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
SoundStageDirect, a leading online vinyl LP retailer, has announced the reissue of two classic ALICE IN CHAINS albums: "Sap" and "Jar of Flies". Originally released in 1992 and 1994 as follow-ups to both of ALICE IN CHAINS' full-length releases, these new imports have been remastered on 180-gram vinyl and packaged together as a two-disc set. Available on vinyl again for the first time in years, only 2,000 copies of this limited-edition vinyl record package are being pressed.

Ever the stalwart of the Seattle rock scene that exploded in the wake of NIRVANA's success, ALICE IN CHAINS' trademark hybrid of blues and metal paved the way for their own stardom. With videos in heavy rotation on TV, a cameo in Cameron Crowe's "Singles", an early-'90s Gen X take on dating and relationships, and headlining tours, the sky seemed the limit for the foursome. Sadly, the death of front man Layne Staley in 2002 nearly spelled the end of the band until reuniting in 2006 and releasing a new album in 2009.

Both "Sap" and "Jar of Flies" represented significant departures from the moody, dropped-D Seattle sound showcased on their other efforts. Instead of plugging in, ALICE IN CHAINS took acoustic guitars into the studio and hardly missed a beat. "Sap" features lauded guests from the Seattle music scene, including Ann Wilson of HEART, Chris Cornell, then of SOUNDGARDEN, and Mark Arm of MUDHONEY. "Jar of Flies" built on the exploratory sound of its predecessor, showcasing a softer sound and introducing arrangements and instruments previously unheard on any ALICE IN CHAINS' material. As a result, the first single, "No Excuses", yielded the band their first number-one position on the rock charts.

While the early '90s spotlight has since faded from the Pacific Northwest, the sound showcased on both these records is still vibrant and a reminder of the inherent capabilities within the hard rock genre.

Don't miss your chance to own a piece of rock vinyl history and hear "Sap" and "Jar of Flies" as you've never before or for the first time.

For more information, visit www.soundstagedirect.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
I don't do vinyl anymore... but still glad to see those EPs get some love. :tup

:BB I Stay Away (By Sheer Force Of Will)

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:37 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS and ALICE IN CHAINS will headline the 31st annual DC101 Chili Cook-Off on Saturday, May 22 at RFK Stadium Festival Grounds. The event, D.C.'s biggest one-day rock festival, is expected to raise $1.6 million to benefit the National Kidney Foundation serving the national capital area.

Growing in stature and gaining momentum every year, the DC101 Chili Cook-Off is the biggest one-day fundraiser for the National Kidney Foundation nationwide. Last year's Cook-Off attracted 30,000 people and raised over $1.5 million to support the Foundation's programs in research, patient services, professional and public education, and organ donation awareness.

Preston A. Englert, Jr., Division President of the National Kidney Foundation serving the national capital area, said, "We are indebted to DC101 for the decades of support they have provided. The Chili Cook-Off is a significant fundraiser that helps support programs such as research that leads to medical breakthroughs, our patient emergency fund, and free early detection screenings for at-risk members of our community. This is crucial because the Washington, D.C. area leads the nation in the prevalence of kidney disease."

True to its name, the Chili Cook-Off features an intense competition between 101 chili cooks in four categories: Red Chili, Green Chili, Freestyle, and Salsa. The 2009 Red Chili winner, Trevor Bothwell, went on to win the People's Choice Award at the World Championship Cook-Off in Charleston, West Virginia in October 2009. Among the celebrity judges at Chili Cook-Off 2010 will be Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley, quarterback Colt Brennan, and safety Reed Doughty, whose son received a kidney transplant in March 2008.

Rounding out the lineup of bands for Chili Cook-Off 2010 are national recording artists CAGE THE ELEPHANT, SWITCHFOOT, and ANBERLIN. According to DC101 Program Director Dave Wellington, "This year's Chili Cook-Off lineup is stellar and a must see! We look forward to over 30,000 fans coming together on May 22 for one special day to help so many in need."

RFK Stadium Festival Grounds is pleased to be hosting the event for the second consecutive year. According to Erik Moses, Managing Director of the WCSA Sports, Entertainment and Special Events Division, "We couldn't be more pleased with the first year of our partnership as we had record attendance and monies raised for a worthy cause. This event has evolved into one of the region's most anticipated events. Not only is there a great talent lineup but plenty of good chili as well!"

Tickets go on sale Friday, March 26 at 10:00 a.m. Tickets are $35 in advance general admission and $200 for limited VIP tickets, which include complimentary beer, soda, water, private port-a-johns, and elevated view of the stage, plus all applicable Ticketmaster and service fees. Tickets are $55 at the gate the day of the Chili Cook-Off. RFK Stadium Box Office will be open during the week (M-F) from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ONLY selling tickets with NO service charge. On May 22, participants are encouraged to take Metro to the Stadium/Armory Station on the Orange & Blue Lines.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell has told MTV News that the band is contemplating making a new album in the foreseeable future.

"There are thoughts," Cantrell said of heading back into the studio. "We'll see how far we get. Staying in the moment is a good way to live and we certainly hope that that happens. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't [happen]."

When asked if the SOUNDGARDEN and STONE TEMPLE PILOTS reunions and PEARL JAM also being on the road and FOO FIGHTERS returning to the studio means that alternative rock is coming back, Cantrell replied, "I don't think it ever left. Yeah, there's a lot of activity from bands that were slugging it out in the '90s, us being one of them. But I think the thing that gets forgotten is all those guys were doing music all along. ... It's not like anyone quit doing stuff and we just thought, 'Hey, it's a good time to start doing it again.' We just continued to make music. But it's kind of nice because I love all those bands."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
ALICE IN CHAINS will celebrate "Record Store Day" by taking part in a signing session this Saturday, April 17 at Gallery of Sound in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Come by to meet the guys between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. at 186 Mundy St..

"Record Store Day" celebrates the continued existence of independent record stores, mostly through live in-store appearances, performances and special limited-edition releases that will only be sold through participating stores on the day itself, which is April 17 this year.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:20 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Michael Lello of Weekender recently conducted an interview with ALICE IN CHAINS vocalist William DuVall. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Weekender: The album and the singles, as well as the video for "Your Decision", are doing really well. Do you feel that the crowds at your concerts are also connecting with the new songs?

DuVall: Yeah, yeah. We're definitely getting that feeling. It's a great thing. It's really very heartening to experience how well these new songs sit alongside the older catalog songs in the set and see very similar reactions form the fans, you know? And this includes songs that aren't even singles, you know? We go into "Last Of My Kind" or "Acid Bubble", and it's on, you know what I mean?

Weekender: This band probably could've done quite well playing shows even if you never recorded any new material.

DuVall: Absolutely. I understand what you're saying in terms of what we might be able to do, something like that in terms of what the industry would require. We might be able to get people to come and see us. But in terms of who we are as people, it's unthinkable to do something like that. This was absolutely necessary for us.

Weekender: You've been playing with Jerry Cantrell since 2000, first as a member of his band and now with ALICE IN CHAINS. Did having that history with Jerry make it a more seamless process for you coming into ALICE IN CHAINS?

DuVall: Certainly. In fact, I don't know how it could've happened any other way. I can't separate what happened from how it happened. I go back with Cantrell 10 years now. When I met him, he was a big fan of COMES WITH THE FALL, and I was a big fan of ALICE, and I was a big fan of what he was working on at that time, which was (Cantrell's second solo album) "Degradation Trip". We ended up coming together to tour the "Degradation Trip" album for about two years straight there. … We were also doing ALICE songs in his set. That would be the first time I had to wrap my head around some of those songs and sing them.

Weekender: How have you approached singing the songs originally sung by Layne Staley? What was it like on your first tour with ALICE IN CHAINS?

DuVall: I've just come out just as myself doing this stuff. Every night in spite of what was going on outside of our sort of four-man, very insular scene, we were playing gigs. So whatever noise or doubts were going on, we were playing gigs every night, and that's the way you get to see what you're made of. That's how the four of us really bonded. That's how the four of us became what we are. There really is no substitute for that. That galvanized us into a unit and gave us the momentum to go into the studio and make this new album.

Weekender: The vocal harmonies in ALICE IN CHAINS — first between Cantrell and Staley, and now between Cantrell and you — are unique in the hard-rock genre. Is this something particularly interesting for you as a singer?

DuVall: It's really cool. Yeah, I would say that that is something that is pretty unique to the whole ALICE IN CHAINS aesthetic. You don't hear a lot of that. I used to joke with Cantrell when we first met that it's like THE ASSOCIATION or CROSBY, STILLS & NASH crossed with SABBATH. And yeah, that's really one of those sonic fingerprints that they kind of put on the music scene. I have always loved doing a lot of vocal harmony-based music, but I hadn't done a lot of work in that area myself.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Michael Flynn of Citizen-Times.com recently conducted an interview with ALICE IN CHAINS singer William DuVall. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Citizen-Times.com: How does the new album fit in with the band's catalog?

DuVall: Very well. In the shows, the new songs that we play fit in really well with the set. Being as objective as I can be, the real feedback is what we get at the shows. You're seeing the reactions of thousands of people, and creating this self-perpetuating wave of energy with the audience. It's as though you have not broken stride — it's great.

Citizen-Times.com: How has fitting into a pre-existing band gone for you?

DuVall: It's worked out great. You see it with the reaction from the fans. They see the honesty in the whole endeavor. It's not some fly-by-night, glued-together thing. It comes out of friendship. When we hit the stage, that's what people see. You can't fake it; you've either got chemistry or you don't.

Citizen-Times.com: How does a guy from Atlanta fit in with grunge legends from the Northwest?

DuVall: Really, [Jerry] Cantrell [guitar] is an old grizzled piece of leather from Texas and Oklahoma. He's an Okie at heart. All of us have lived or traveled all over the place. I'm not originally from Atlanta — I'm a D.C. native. It's about much more than where you're from; it's about where you're at.

Citizen-Times.com: What's the future hold for the band?

DuVall: This album cycle has a ways to go — a lot more shows. Don't miss this because it's really been four years in the making, and it's a powerful thing. After this winds down, if I would hazard a guess, there won't be a long layoff. We're probably going to want to get right back to it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:58 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Michael "Mike" Inez, the Grammy Award-winning rock musician best known for his role as the bass guitarist of ALICE IN CHAINS, took the plunge and started a whole new chapter of life — marriage. At an undisclosed location this legendary bassist had his nuptials with his bride, Sydney Kelly, on May 8, 2010.

With over 20 years of working with heavy metal, grunge and rock performances Inez's wedding was a who's-who of headbangers and rockers alike. Having deep roots in Seattle and years of headline tours, the wedding guest list was massively diverse. Rock and heavy metal legends like Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne to Ann and Nancy Wilson from of HEART were expected to be in attendance.

Taking only a short break in the "Black Gives Way to Blue" national tour; Jerry Cantrell, Sean Kinney and William DuVall toasted the newlyweds.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:23 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Poor bastard. :shrug:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next