Post subject: Reznor smacks Radiohead down
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
CNet news wrote:
Trent Reznor: Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' promotion was 'insincere'
Posted by Greg Sandoval

March 14, 2008 11:24 AM PDT

Nine Inch Nails' Ghosts I-IV has so far earned $1.6 million.
(Credit: NIN.com)

Radiohead's groundbreaking promotion for the album In Rainbows was "insincere" and smacked of a "bait and switch," according to Trent Reznor, leader of the group Nine Inch Nails.

Reznor made the comments during an interview with the Australia Broadcasting Corporation earlier this week.

"I think the way [Radiohead] parlayed it into a marketing gimmick has certainly been shrewd," Reznor said. "But if you look at what they did, it was very much a bait and switch, to get you to pay for a MySpace quality stream as a way to promote a very traditional record sale."

The In Rainbows promotion was distributed online, without backing from a major record company and allowed fans to pay whatever they thought the digital album was worth. Radiohead was widely praised for breaking from the label system.

But Radiohead's manager has also said that the band likely wouldn't try a similar promotion again. The British super group ended the offer and has begun selling the record through traditional sales channels.

"I don't see that as a big revolution [that] they're kind of getting credit for," Reznor told the Australia Broadcasting Corporation on Monday. "There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't see that as a big revolution [that] they're kind of getting credit for...to me that feels insincere. It relies upon the fact that it was quote-unquote 'first,' and it takes the headlines with it."

Reznor has a point. There's no arguing that Radiohead's music giveaway pioneered new territory, but when it comes to actually plowing ahead with a determined search for a new way to distribute music, Radiohead falls short.

The truth is that Reznor, who at times is volatile--and is always outspoken--is doing more for music fans and fellow musicians than anybody.

Earlier this month, Nine Inch Nails began distributing a digital album, Ghosts I-IV a 36-track instrumental, in a range of ways. The offer included free samples, a $5 digital version and premium packages that came with downloads, discs, and varying merchandise depending on the money one was willing to pay. In a little over a week, Reznor told The Chicago Tribune that he generated 781,917 transactions and earned $1.6 million.

Radiohead may have earned more and likely gathered information valuable to other artists who might be considering self-distribution. We don't know because, unlike Reznor, the band isn't sharing sales numbers.

What is so sad about these promotions by Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead is that, other than Reznor, few artists are tinkering with the Internet or looking for an alternative to the traditional business model in the music industry.

We're talking about rock 'n' roll here. It was once rumored to be the domain of rebels and rogues. How come more performers aren't looking to buck the status quo?

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:19 am 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
as long as they keep putting out albums in CD form I'm happy

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:07 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Dragon235 wrote:
as long as they keep putting out albums in CD form I'm happy

Well... Enjoy it while it lasts is all I can say.

Sadly, it's inevitable. iTurds is already getting exclusive songs and even albums. Right now, I won't even look at them on principle... :?

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: THIS is ur plan for catching spambots?
I dunno - i think the digital music age is doing far more for the artisits and consumer than for the recording industry giants. I probably would not even think about another nine inch nails cd if i hadnt read that article, but knowing he is doing that means my next stop online is to his website to support him and give the finger to corporate control over music. I like the end of the article - where are all the rebels that make me love rock? why arent more artists doing what reznor is? I'd like to see it happen a lot more often. If we embrace this change, it very possible that a much larger musical world will be available to the average consumer, artists will have more license to break away from traditional formats and try new ones and that the insatiable consumer-driven demand for better sound/recording quality will yield some mind-blowing technological genius.

In a time of economic downturn, digital music devices are exploding off the shelf, millions are paying for digital music selections and subscriptions and the technology is moving quickly while other areas of the economy are in a state of gloom and doom. And we have moredirect connections between artists and listeners, which is freakin great. I'm not so tied to my space-consuming CDs - they are just another vehicle for the music I want.

On the other hand, reznor isnt just being an asshole this time, hes also bring shortsighted and foolish. On the one hand, he thinks more artists should be independently releasing their music in more creative ways and on the other hand, he criticizes radiohead when they are trying to do just that - sure, its not in the way he thinks is sincere or enough, but if he wants to promote the idea, he would be wiser to collaborate with them to find a better way to do it next time around to reach a wider audience and still generate a profit... He's just pissed cuz Radiohead got credited for pioneering the idea when his strategy is what actually deleivered the goods.

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:31 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
I take back part of my last post: Reznor is no fool - they are sold out of the most expensive edition of Ghosts - at $300!

And
"In a little over a week, ... he generated 781,917 transactions and earned $1.6 million. "

Not bad! So he can afford to be a bit critical - he wont be hurting financially if other artists dont jump on the bandwagon right away - he's still getting the consumer's cash!!

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:40 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Actually, in the iTunes world... Apple makes the bulk of the money (as the digital distributor), whereas the record companies used to make the bulk of the cash. In effect, the artist just traded one big, bad corporation for another to give all of their profits to.

Reznor's model (and Radiohead's, to a point) in effect makes him the distributor. He also released an album he produced for another artist a few months ago using a form of digital distribution using a partner company (I posted about it her somewhere).

I think Reznor is knocking Radiohead primarily because they didn't stick to their guns. Instead of sticking to the digital distribution, they have removed the album from the site and are now distributing it via conventional disc. It comes off as a publicity stunt in their case, because they coordinated their efforts with a conventional record company are now following the Universal playbook to drum up additional sales.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 pm 
Heavy Metal Honey
Steve - True

With the sales reznor made in the first week or so, it'll be interesting to see how sales for both groups compare. Maybe if NIN's sales surpass the conventional process, radiohead will decide to carry their digital distribution process further next time around. I'll be buying the NIN CD, and would have bought the radiohead CD if it was still available from them directly - would have considered that worth checking out.

By the way - any video geniuses out there? NIN has a project going for people to submit video clips to accompany Ghosts through a youtube site they've set up. Here's a clip of Reznor explaining the project http://www.youtube.com/ninofficial. The link for checking out the Ghosts film festival and adding your submissions is below his clip. If any of you do submit any video for that, please post about it here - would be cool to see it!

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
YouTube bad. :evil:

Beer good! :twisted:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top