Login |  Register

Post subject: Pearl Jam hits tops on the Billboard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 pm 
LOS ANGELES/NEW YORK (Billboard) - Pearl Jam topped the U.S. pop album chart for the first time in 13 years on Wednesday, ending the two-week reign of rapper Jay-Z.

The veteran Seattle rockers sold 189,000 copies of their ninth studio album "Backspacer," during the week ended September 27, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The band had ruled the Billboard 200 on three other occasions, most recently in 1996 when "No Code" led the field with 367,000 copies. It first went to the top in 1993 when its second album "Vs" kicked off with 950,000 copies, and returned the following year with "Vitalogy" (877,000). Such hefty first-week numbers are unheard of these days as the music industry keeps spiraling downward.

Pearl Jam's last studio album, a self-titled release that came out in 2006, debuted and peaked at No. 2 with 279,000.

Jay-Z's "The Blueprint 3" slipped to No. 2 with 134,000 copies. The set has blown through 908,000 copies in its three weeks on the chart.

Four other new releases entered the top 10:

- Canadian rock band Three Days Grace's "Life Starts Now" at No. 3 with 79,000. It's the best sales week and highest charting album for the band, which previously went as high as No. 5 with its last set, 2006's "One - X."

- Brand New's "Daisy" leading at No. 6 with 46,000. The rock group previously hadn't gone any higher than No. 31.

- Metal band Five Finger Death Punch's "War Is The Answer" at No. 7 with 44,000 copies. Its debut album, "The Way Of The Fist," peaked at No. 107 over a year ago.

- Jazz vocalist Harry Connick, Jr.'s "Your Songs" at No. 8 with 37,000.

Elsewhere, Whitney Houston's "I Look To You" fell two spots to No. 4 with 66,000, Miley Cyrus' "The Time Of Our Lives" held steady at No. 5 with 61,000, Drake's "So Far Gone" fell three to No. 9 with 36,000, and Muse's "The Resistance" dropped seven to No. 10 with just under 36,000.

Overall album sales totaled 5.93 million units, down 8 percent from the previous week, and also down 8 percent compared to the same sales week of 2008. Year-to-date album sales are off 14 percent compared to the same total at this point last year.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam hits tops on the Billboard
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:34 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Wow. Good news. 8)

:BB Alive

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 pm 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
I want to pick up that Three Days Grace album, good stuff on the other albums. Cool news for PJ though.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:07 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: THIS is ur plan for catching spambots?
Just saw them on a Target commercial a couple days ago and wanted to projectile puke all over my TV just to block that image. Bummer they've gone that route. Hopefully the CD won't sound like a sellout.

On the positive side, anything by Pearl Jam knocking Jay-Z down on the charts is always a good direction for music to go.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top