Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:13 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
According to The Pulse of Radio, SMASHING PUMPKINS frontman Billy Corgan says the band will not release any more new albums, citing the lack of enthusiasm for their 2007 comeback effort, "Zeitgeist", as one of the reasons. In a new interview with the Chicago Tribune, Corgan said, "We're done with ('Zeitgeist'). There is no point. People don't even listen to it all. They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles, and skip over the rest." But the moratorium on albums does not mean the PUMPKINS won't record new music. Corgan explained, "Our primary function now is to be a singles band, that drives Pumpkins Inc. through singles. We'll still be creative, but in a different form."

Corgan also said that the PUMPKINS will no longer go out on the sort of traditional tour that it recently completed, during which Corgan lashed out at the audience on several dates for their negative reaction to the more obscure set lists. The singer and guitarist said, "We won't do shows like this anymore, where we try to draw a good crowd and balance the past with the present. We'll go small and do exactly what we want to do and stop playing catalog. We'll be like a new band that can't rely on old gimmicks."

Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin reactivated the PUMPKINS in 2007 after a six-year hiatus with three new members. The frontman said that anyone who thought he relaunched the group for money doesn't get it: "We didn't come back for the cash, we came back to be great again. It made me mad that people thought we're done, that we don't have a future. Get out. We don't want you. We've never been that band. That happy band. We picked up where we left off. We're not the retirement band playing our old hits."

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:10 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Hell, I bought "Zeitgeist" (deluxe, in fact) ... but I haven't even listened to the singles. :shock:

In fact, I wasn't even aware that there were any singles. :lmao:

:BB Zero

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins news
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Billy Corgan has announced that Mike Byrne has joined the SMASHING PUMPKINS as their new drummer. The 19-year-old Portland, Oregon native will make his debut with the band on the PUMPKINS' next album — about which a major announcement is expected in September — and tour. "I'm super-excited to be playing with the band," says Byrne. "Dream come true, man."

Byrne — who's played in such indie Portland bands as MOSES, SMELL THE ROSES and the MERCURY TREE — heard about the PUMPKINS' open call for a new drummer on the Internet this past April and submitted his materials. Byrne was immediately called to attend an audition in Los Angeles, where Corgan liked what he heard — a lot. "We didn't actually play songs at the audition," says Byrne. "We just kind of jammed for about 15 minutes and then talked about FUGAZI for the other 15 or so minutes."

Playing drums since he was 11 — "I think if you're born a drummer, you know you're going to be a drummer for your entire life" — Byrne formed his first band at 15, MERCURY TREE, which played some shows in Portland. His influences include post rock bands like MOGWAI, MASERATI, and MAPS AND ATLASES as well as the PUMPKINS. "It was a really good time in my life to hear the PUMPKINS music when I was 13," he says. "It just connected with me and it was sort of a window into something really different and eclectic. The band was a little bit more willing to take risks than a lot of the stuff I had been listening to. That was exciting and fresh to me. And then delving into a lot of it just definitely resonated on a creative level with me." Byrne had the chance to see the PUMPKINS two years ago when they performed on tour in the Portland area.

Asked about how he feels his young age plays into the new music the PUMPKINS are creating, Byrne says: "I've always thought that Billy's interpretation of music was a real fresh one, and that because the band was so rooted in the idea of kind of being like a musical shape-shifter, I feel that honestly it would work just perfectly. It's not so much that I have some fresh point of view that he's not already investigating so much as every time they release something it's sort of a new direction and so working with him is easy in that we're not operating on any founded musical principals. We're starting from scratch and just working our influences up into something totally different."

Says Billy: "Through the open audition process, I was astounded by how many great drummers there were that wanted the chance to try out for the PUMPKINS. We counted over 1,000 submissions, and what made Mike stand out was he just seemed to have that 'X' factor that all the great drummers have, a stunning blend of power, speed, and grace. I'm excited to work with him moving forward--he truly deserves this opportunity. I believe in my heart he will push me to be a better musician."

Byrne will join Billy at six solo Southern California small club dates August 26-31 with special guests SPIRITS IN THE SKY — the band Billy assembled to play at a tribute show in Los Angeles at the Echoplex in July for late SEEDS frontman Sky Saxon. SPIRITS IN THE SKY includes Mark Tulin of THE ELECTRIC PRUNES and Kerry Brown of CATHERINE AND THE ANCIENT CHINESE SECRETS.

The Billy solo shows with SPIRITS IN THE SKY are as follows:

Aug. 26 - Visalia, CA - Tazzaria
Aug. 27 - Santa Barbara, CA - Muddy Waters
Aug. 28 - Long Beach, CA - Open
Aug. 29 - Pioneertown, CA - Pappy & Harriet's Palace
Aug. 30 - San Diego, CA - Che Café
Aug. 31 - Los Angeles, CA - Hotel Café

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:03 am 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Billy Corgan has announced that Mike Byrne has joined the SMASHING PUMPKINS as their new drummer. The 19-year-old Portland, Oregon native will make his debut with the band on the PUMPKINS' next album — about which a major announcement is expected in September — and tour. "I'm super-excited to be playing with the band," says Byrne. "Dream come true, man."

I thought Corgan said that Pumpkins wasn't going to record anymore albums? :roll:

:BB Zero

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
SMASHING PUMPKINS mainman Billy Corgan has issued the following update:

"I'm happy to finally announce the plans for the new SMASHING PUMPKINS album.

"Recording began yesterday, September 15th, 2009 on the new record which will be entitled 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'. The album will feature 44 songs, four of which are now being recorded. My desire is to release a song at a time beginning around Halloween of this year, with each new release coming shortly after until all 44 are out. Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.

"We will however sell highly limited edition EPs (of four songs each times 11), and details of how those EPs will be made available are still being worked out. Because the songs themselves will be free, the EPs will be more like collectors' items for the discerning fan who will want the art itself, along with the highest possible audio quality available. The EPs will be more like mini-box sets rather than your normal CD single. We may also offer other variations for sale, say for example a digital single with a demo version of a song. The commitment that is most important is the one I'm making to you: that the music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be available for free to everyone. All 44 songs: free for ALL.

"When the entire album is finished, it will be compiled into a deluxe box set which will also be made available for sale. Those who have bought the EPs need not worry, as the box set will not be a recompilation of the limited edition pieces.

"The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

"The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of the SMASHING PUMPKINS: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

"I already have 53 songs written for the record, so I am quite confident that I already have much of the material that I would need to undertake such an extensive project. I am very committed to seeing this album through to its completion and very, very excited about the prospect of delivering new SMASHING PUMPKINS music to you in a unique and exciting way."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:57 am 
The Lord of Destruction
For someone who bashed the album format to death last year... Corgan sure is putting a lot of stuff up for sale here... :P

:BB 1979

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:29 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
THE BACKWARDS CLOCK SOCIETY — featuring Billy Corgan of the SMASHING PUMPKINS, Kerry Brown of ANCIENT CHINESE SECRETS and Mark Tulin of the ELECTRIC PRUNES — will headline a benefit concert Sunday, November 8 at the Echoplex in Los Angeles to raise money for Laura Masura. The former head of the SMASHING PUMPKINS fan club was injured September 9 in a motorcycle crash on the PCH, shattering her leg and bringing her business (she makes her own limited-edition jams from ingredients she finds at local SoCal farms) to a standstill.

Her friend Josiah Mazzaschi (LIGHT FM), and ex-bandmate of Laura Ann's ('90s Chicago band MOTORHOME), is organizing the show to help Laura pay for her rising medical bills and to compensate for lost income (she'll be wheelchair-bound for several more months). All proceeds from the concert will go directly to Laura.

At the Echoplex, THE BACKWARDS CLOCK SOCIETY will be joined by artists who share a Chicago connection with Laura, including THE HAPPY STARS (Brian Young from FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE), THE PULSARS, Tim Rutili (RED RED MEAT, CALIFONE), PITY PARTY and LIGHT FM. The doors are at 4:30 p.m. and show time is at 5:00 p.m.

Leading up to the November 8 event, two very special items from the early days of the SMASHING PUMPKINS will be auctioned off starting this Wednesday without reserve via eBay to help defray Laura's medical bills from her accident. The first item up for auction is the drum kit that Jimmy Chamberlin used on the SMASHING PUMPKINS' influential and platinum "Gish" album in 1991 and subsequent tour. The kit will be signed by both Jimmy and Billy. Billy will also be auctioning off the original SMASHING PUMPKINS bass guitar that he played at the band's very first show (it is also the bass that he used for the early demos). Both items will be available for bidding via the official SMASHING PUMPKINS memorabilia eBay site.

At the Echoplex, there will be a raffle, a BBQ and a booth selling Ms. Masura's homemade jams, Laura Ann Jams, and all of the proceeds will be donated to Laura.

Tickets for the show can be purchased on the Echoplex web site at www.attheecho.com. Rachel Lichtman will be the emcee for the evening and also spinning records in between bands. It's also the day before Laura Ann's birthday, so come on out and wish her well!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:05 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS have released "A Song For A Son" online for free as the first offering from their upcoming album, "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope", a 44-song work that is being recorded now. "A Song For A Son" was made available this morning (December 7) via AOL Music's Spinner.com as an online exclusive and can be downloaded for free starting tonight at midnight at the new PUMPKINS site. The site will also offer a widget enabling fans to host the song anywhere on the web.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Benjy Eisen of Spinner.com recently conducted an interview with SMASHING PUMPKINS mainman Billy Corgan. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Spinner.com: Why are you releasing the 44 songs of "Teargarden by Kaleidyscope" for free?

Corgan: I've never been comfortable with the idea that you work for a couple of years just to come up with a pile of 12 songs and that becomes the album. What I like about the idea of recording the songs one at a time is I'm always in the moment with the song. I'm hoping it will raise the quality of the songs that I release so that every song is important to me. Hopefully the audience will feel that way too.

It's going to take a while for the record business to find its new bearings. In the meantime, it keeps acting like it's the old record business, which I think really works against the artistic aspect of putting out music. I thought I would walk around all of that, make the songs available for free and I figured out a way that I could feel invested. I figure it's going to take three years and I'm always putting out something I feel excited about, and then I'm also getting some level of feedback from the audience about what they're actually connecting with.

Spinner.com: Do you regret breaking up SMASHING PUMPKINS in 2000?

Corgan: Breaking up the band was a mistake because I think it broke trust with the audience. You had an audience that was very invested in that idea — whether they were invested in the people or the idea or the songs, I don't know. Like a relationship that you break off from and then try to pick back up, it's never quite the same. It doesn't mean it can't be as good, but it has to be different. That beautiful original feeling got lost in the interim of being away. If we had said, "We just went away for seven years," it would have been similar, but somehow breaking up, there's a violence to it.

Spinner.com: Many fans said things like, "You reformed SMASHING PUMPKINS but really it's just in name." Do you think that's a valid criticism?

Corgan: Anything is a fair criticism. The question I would ask is, "Do I have the right to do it?" Based upon what I've seen since reforming the band, I do have the right. If I felt I didn't, I would sit here honestly and say, "Nah, I probably should've just left it alone." I've been making music with the intention of connecting with an audience for 20 years now, so at the end of the day I have to be accountable to me in that way. I can't not do what I believe in because somebody else doesn't feel the same way I do about it

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS have issued a brand new track called "Widow Wake My Mind", available exclusively as a free download for 24 hours through MySpace Music. The song marks the second release from the band's in-progress 44-song project "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope". "Widow" was the top marquee song at MySpace yesterday and can be downloaded at this location. http://www.myspace.com/smashingpumpkins
It will also be featured Tuesday at MySpace and via a cross-promotion at www.ilike.com. Then starting today, it will be available at www.smashingpumpkins.com and the site also offers a widget enabling fans to host the song anywhere on the web.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:18 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
The Pulse of Radio reports: Jessica Simpson has already been called "sexual napalm" this week by former flame John Mayer, but was also the butt of jokes by her rumored current romance, SMASHING PUMPKINS frontman Billy Corgan, when Corgan was cornered by reporters outside a Los Angeles restaurant. According to E! Online, Corgan was asked whether he had plans for Valentine's Day and said he was "switching teams" before he clarified that he was talking about baseball and not his sexual preferences.

But when photographers asked him specifically about Simpson, Corgan said, "Jessica Rabbit? She's a cartoon character. I don't know if you knew that. They did such a good job on the movie that you swore she was real."

He deflected more questions about his relationship with Simpson by saying, "Cubs are gonna have a really good year!"

Corgan and Simpson have reportedly been dating for five months, but neither one has publicly acknowledged the relationship.

Corgan is currently working on a new, 44-track SMASHING PUMPKINS album, "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope". He plans to make all 44 songs from the album available for free at the band's web site as they are completed, with two already out. They will eventually all be bundled into 11 EPs and one final deluxe box set.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
With the news that the SMASHING PUMPKINS bassist Ginger Pooley has left the band to raise her new baby with her husband, Billy Corgan has announced that he will look for a new bassist in the same manner as he found new drummer Mike Byrne last year: via an open audition process (see below for details). Corgan also says that auditions will be held (again, see below) for a new keyboardist who is a fan of — and can play in the prog-rock style of — Jon Lord and Rick Wakeman.

Until a new bassist is found, Mark Tulin of THE ELECTRIC PRUNES — with whom Billy toured last year in SPIRITS IN THE SKY — will fill in on an interim basis.

Look for the PUMPKINS to soon announce a world tour, including dates in the U.S.

Says Ginger, who toured the world with the band in 2007 and 2008: "With sorrow and yet with much thankfulness for the opportunity to have played in the PUMPKINS, I am sad to say that I can no longer tour with the PUMPKINS.

"Although I've been blessed beyond belief over the past few years through playing with the PUMPKINS, my priority now is to keep our little family unit together, which includes my husband and my baby.

"Although I do plan on continuing to do music in different forms, my priority is for neither for my husband nor myself to be apart from our daughter so that we can raise her together.

"I wish Billy all the best and look forward to seeing the PUMPKINS in the near future. I would also like to thank all of the PUMPKINS fans for all of their support. I will see you at the PUMPKINS shows!"

Says Billy: "Although I am heartbroken that Ginger is leaving the group, I really respect her decision to put her family first. I appreciate everything that she has contributed to the SMASHING PUMPKINS, and I'm proud of her for being such a great musician and friend.

"We were lucky enough to find drummer Mike Byrne through an open audition process," Billy adds, "so why not open the doors again to anyone who might be interested for the bass or keyboard position.

"As you can see from our past and present, age, race, or a person's background is not an issue. Everyone is truly welcome to audition."

Audition info: Bassists and keyboardists looking to play with the PUMPKINS should send their background info (including age, a resume of any bands/recorded work), photos and performance web links via email only, either to pumpkinsbass@gmail.com or pumpkinskeys@gmail.com. Note: only musicians with video clips can be considered. YouTube.com-type posts are perfect — that's how Mike was found.

Final date for submission is March 31.

For more information, visit www.smashingpumpkins.com

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:24 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to The Pulse of Radio, the first of 11 planned EPs from the SMASHING PUMPKINS, titled "Teargarden by Kaleidyscope Vol 1: Songs For A Sailor", will be available for pre-order to anyone who visits selected independent record stores on April 17, which has been designated as "Record Store Day." The pre-order is exclusive to participating record stores and also includes a limited-edition SMASHING PUMPKINS blacklight poster while supplies last. PUMPKINS frontman Billy Corgan said in a statement, "I used to work at an indie record shop so I'll always have a soft spot for the places where I still go to find the most vital music, whether new or still hidden."

As part of the Record Store Day promotion, the PUMPKINS will perform at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles that day for the first 250 fans who pre-order the EP at the store and receive a special wristband.

The EP will be released on May 25. It collects the first four songs from the current 44-track PUMPKINS recording project, "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope".

Each song from the album is being released both online and in the series of limited edition EPs. The first three tracks are online now for free.

The first EP will be packaged in a silk-screened wooden box. Each box will contain a CD, a vinyl seven-inch edition and a hand-carved obelisk.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:02 am 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Each song from the album is being released both online and in the series of limited edition EPs. The first three tracks are online now for free.

Let me know if you come across a link for that... I'm not a huge fan, but I wouldn't mind checking it out.

:BB Today

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:58 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS will release "Astral Planes", the fourth track of their epic 44-song "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope" project, this Friday, April 16 via the independent Amoeba Records' web site.

The swirling, psychedelicized song will first be available for free download on Amoeba.com (in the left-hand corner under "Breaking News") and then, later that day, available for free download via SmashingPumpkins.com along with three previously released tracks "A Stitch In Time", "Widow Wake My Mind" and "A Song For A Son". The site also offers a widget enabling fans to host the songs anywhere on the web.

"Astral Planes" is the final song to be issued for "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope Vol.1: Song For A Sailor", the first of the eventual 11 EPs to be sold in record stores. "Teargarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. 1: Songs For A Sailor" is set for official release on May 25 through Martha's Music/Rocket Science Ventures. This very limited-edition collector's EP will be packaged in a beautiful collector's silk-screened wooden box. Each box will contain a four-song CD, a vinyl 7" and a hand-carved obelisk.

The release of "Astral Planes" comes one day before "Record Store Day," which the band will celebrate with a free performance in Los Angeles.

The first 250 fans who pre-order the "Teargarden…" EP on Saturday, April 17, will receive the limited-edition black light poster as well as a wristband giving them entry into THE SMASHING PUMPKINS performance from Amoeba and Urban Outfitters Space 15 Twenty later that day. The pre-order is exclusive to independent record stores. By pre-ordering the EP, fans will be guaranteed to own the EP and will immediately receive a collector's edition SMASHING PUMPKINS black light poster, while supplies last.

While in Los Angeles, THE SMASHING PUMPKINS will perform "Widow Wake My Mind" on NBC's "Tonight Show with Jay Leno" Tuesday, April 20.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next