06/04/10 RUEDESHEIM, GERMANY MAGIC BIKE RUEDESHEIM 10:00
July 2010 Time
07/27/10 LUZERN, SWITZERLAND THE BLUE BALLS FESTIVAL 08:30

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Joe Bonamassa news and tour dates
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:03 am 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
4/16/10 gotcha...I bet Kelsey would be interested in seeing this.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:41 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Gibson Lifestyle wrote:
The Gibson Interview: Joe Bonamassa on Black Rock and Beyond
Aidin Vaziri ~ 03.22.2010

Joe Bonamassa has already established himself as a national treasure on the American blues-rock scene. With his latest album, Black Rock, the one-time prodigy is going global. Recorded in Greece, Bonamassa’s tenth studio release brings a Mediterranean flavor to his intricate compositions as well as distinctive covers of Jeff Beck’s “Spanish Boots,” Leonard Cohen’s “Bird On A Wire” and Bobby Parker’s “Steal Your Heart Away.”

Even though he’s only 32, this year Bonamassa is celebrating two decades as a working musician (one of his very first gigs as a young guitar prodigy was opening for BB King). Last year the readers of Guitar Player magazine named him Best Blues Guitarist for the third time running. He played to a capacity crowd at London’s Royal Albert Hall, where Eric Clapton joined him onstage for a performance of “Further On Up The Road.” His last album, The Ballad of Joe Henry, debuted in the No. 1 position on Billboard’s Blues Chart.

Meanwhile, retailers around the country quickly sold out of all copies of the Gibson Custom Shop Inspired By Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Tops.

Bonamassa is looking at another eventful year with the arrival of Black Rock. He’s already in the middle of a world tour and anticipating the first album by his yet-to-be-named supergroup with bassist Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath), drummer Jason Bonham (Led Zeppelin, Foreigner) and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater, Billy Idol).

We somehow managed to steal away a few minutes with the fast-talking guitarist to get up to speed on his hectic schedule, cover choices and his multitasking abilities.

I’m glad you said your name when we were introduced because sometimes I have real trouble with it.

So do I.

I’m sure you’ve confused a couple of the guys responsible for putting the letters up outside rock club marquees.

You’re assuming we play rock clubs. We play theaters and performing arts centers so the spelling is usually pretty good. <== :gig:

You’re pretty much touring for the rest of the year. Don’t you get exhausted just looking at your itinerary?

I tour constantly. We never really stop. If I didn't enjoy this I wouldn't do it. For me, we don't need a record to go tour. We just tour. I'm excited. We've had a good run of shows. We're playing sold out shows. The audiences are great. What’s there to complain about?

It’s pretty impressive that you’ve built this up over 20 years without having to sell out.

It's a means to an end. The fact that you don't compromise what you do actually brings you fans. We have a reputation of making albums that mean something to people. That really helps us. We don't care about singles. We don't care about the traditional ways of doing things. My manager and I have figured out a way to survive and now we've come out the other side.

Having done this for so long, do you ever feel jaded?

I learn something new every day. If I can do that then I'm happy. I try to stay humble. Every day is a learning experience out here. There's no absolutions. One day is one set of parameters, the next day is different. If you think short term then you're never going to survive.

So how did you pick the cover songs for Black Rock?

Robert Plant suggested ‘Steal Your Heart Away.’ ‘Bird On A Wire’ was my producer Kevin Shirley's idea. I wanted to have my Freddie King moment. So the covers ideas came from all kinds of different places.

I’m curious how Robert Plant sold you on that song.

He didn't have to sell me on anything. It was just a great idea.

Did you feel like you were taking a risk by giving ‘Bird On A Wire’ a Mediterranean arrangement?

I can't sound like Leonard Cohen. I can't play that version. I'm not any of those guys. I'm not out there trying to slug it out with them. I just do the version I like. I play the music I like and I do it for the right reason.

What about the Jeff Beck track – was it intimidating taking on ‘Spanish Boots’?

No, because it's a different version. I look at it as interpreting. It's a different version. We extended the jam at the end. To me, it's entirely different.

What’s going on with your supergroup with Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian? Do you have a name yet?

Can't talk about the name because it just gets you into trouble, as we found out. We finished the album. It just needs to be mixed and put together. It's a massive rock record. We all get to play our rock bits. It’s good fun. And it's a good gang of characters.

Do you always have so many things going on? I mean, you have this solo record to promote. Why take on another project?

I haven't been in a band in almost 20 years. I just did that because it would be fun to do and the opportunity to do that doesn't come up every day. I have a pretty good day job so this is just like playing with your friends for fun.

What guitars are you on the road with right now?

I'm basically using my Les Paul, a 1973 Gibson 355, Firebird, Flying V and old Les Paul Custom I found in my storage.

That’s quite a haul.

It's part of the spectacle to go through eight or nine guitars. People like to see that and I like to give the people what they want.

Source

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: THIS is ur plan for catching spambots?
Gibson Lifestyle wrote:
I’m sure you’ve confused a couple of the guys responsible for putting the letters up outside rock club marquees.

You’re assuming we play rock clubs. We play theaters and performing arts centers so the spelling is usually pretty good. <== :gig:

:mrgreen: haha!

Gibson Lifestyle wrote:

No, because it's a different version. I look at it as interpreting. It's a different version. We extended the jam at the end. To me, it's entirely different.

It is entirely different, and excellent. Thoughts from those of you who have heard this track?

Gibson Lifestyle wrote:
Do you always have so many things going on? I mean, you have this solo record to promote. Why take on another project?

I haven't been in a band in almost 20 years. I just did that because it would be fun to do and the opportunity to do that doesn't come up every day. I have a pretty good day job so this is just like playing with your friends for fun.

STEVE!! I told you so! :hairdryer:

Gibson Lifestyle wrote:

I'm basically using my Les Paul, a 1973 Gibson 355, Firebird, Flying V and old Les Paul Custom I found in my storage.

That’s quite a haul.

It's part of the spectacle to go through eight or nine guitars. People like to see that and I like to give the people what they want.

I noticed that this time when I saw him - I was wondering "Is he seriously going to bring out a different guitar or almost every song? Holy Crap! But it was very cool! And while the thought went through my head that I know of some guitarists who have been doing some pretty mind blowing, brain bending music on the same guitar for longer than he's been alive, I'd still say Joe goes waaay beyond doing justice to every guitar he plays!

Cool interview, thanks for posting!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 am 
Agreed...in other sad news I will probably not make the show on the 16th :( Too much due in payment...and the tickets are way more expensive/none available?!? than I expected.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 am 
The Lord of Destruction
fruitless endeavor wrote:
Gibson Lifestyle wrote:

It is entirely different, and excellent. Thoughts from those of you who have heard this track?

I liked it. Different enough to be judged on its own merits, but definitely a work-up on the original.

That said, there are a lot of covers on this disc... and I think a few of them are even better.

I'd review this one, but I think the three of us are the only ones who'd really give a shit anyway... :lol:

Gibson Lifestyle wrote:

STEVE!! I told you so! :hairdryer:

I couldn't care less why he's doing it... It's still a mistake and it may hurt the momentum he's building (see FlounderFace's post).

Uh... I mean yes, dear. :lol:

Gibson Lifestyle wrote:

That’s quite a haul.

I noticed that this time when I saw him - I was wondering "Is he seriously going to bring out a different guitar or almost every song? Holy Crap! But it was very cool! And while the thought went through my head that I know of some guitarists who have been doing some pretty mind blowing, brain bending music on the same guitar for longer than he's been alive, I'd still say Joe goes waaay beyond doing justice to every guitar he plays!

I think part of that is the way he plays as well. As hard as he attacks the strings, even a sturdy guitar is probably going out of tune after a song or two... so he'd have to change guitars so the roadie to retune/restring anyway. He just rotates a lot more of them to make a show of it.

Cool interview, thanks for posting!

My pleasure. :B

Dragon235 wrote:
Agreed...in other sad news I will probably not make the show on the 16th :( Too much due in payment...and the tickets are way more expensive/none available?!? than I expected.

Fail.

You will miss one of the greatest guitarists you will ever have the privilege of seeing. You should never miss a chance to see a legend in action... within reason, of course.

Get on it, GuppyBreath. :P

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 pm 
I'VE ALREADY FUCKING SEEN HIM DUMBASS! Now, Primal Fear I haven't. Bit more priority there.

I even wrote a fucking review :roll:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Dragon235 wrote:
I'VE ALREADY FUCKING SEEN HIM DUMBASS! Now, Primal Fear I haven't. Bit more priority there.

I even wrote a fucking review :roll:

Do we need a timeout, College Boy? :tsk:

:lol:

RockHard wrote:
You should never miss a chance to see a legend in action... within reason, of course.

Should I make the font bigger? :wink:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:36 pm 
Just emphasizing the review and you forgot :P

Yeah,I'm broke even with this check coming in...my Chinese food craving tonight broke the bank lmao.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Dragon235 wrote:
Just emphasizing the review and you forgot :P

I forget nothing... including the "dumbass" comment. :tsk:

:wink:

:BB Screaming For Vengeance

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:42 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Guitar Player - June '10 wrote:
THE GUITAR PLAYER *** 2010 *** READERS' CHOICE AWARDS

ONCE AGAIN, GP HAS POLLED ITS COMMUNITY OF READERS AND GUITAR FANS TO solicit votes for the "best" guitarists in all styles. For the 2010 poll, we received perhaps more ballots than ever before—likely due to the fact that this is the first time we've fully utilized Facebook and Twitter posts to drive voters to the main polling page at guitarplayer.com. While there's always controversy as to whether any guitarist can truly be the "best"—Carlos Santana, for example, Is a zealous proponent of the belief that music is not a competition—it's still a thrill to invite our readers to honor the players from which they derive the most inspiration and Joy. So, here they are—the guitarists you selected as the "toppermost of the poppermost" (to quote John Lennon). Congrats to all the winners!

BEST OVERALL GUITARIST
BEST BLUES GUITARIST
*** JOE B O N A M A S S A ***

Source

Very cool to see him getting so many well-deserved accolades... :tup

:BB Bridge To Better Days

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:49 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: THIS is ur plan for catching spambots?
:tup:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:39 am 
:cheer

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
JBonamassa.com wrote:
Recording his 11th album on the Coast of Greece

08.25.2010 – The people of Santorini, Greece know about Joe Bonamassa and his love for their island. Kostas who owns Black Rock studio extended the invite to have Joe record there again. Joe was so inspired by this location that he named his current album Black Rock and was so moved by the sunsets there that he wrote “When The Fire Hits The Sea.”

A year has passed since the first tracking session and completion of Joe’s album Black Rock. After many shows around the world this year and tracking a full album in Malibu with his new band Black Country Communion, Joe has come back to Santorini.Attracted by the white bleached buildings with the lush green touches over looking a beautiful ocean, and known for the great 1982 movie “Summer Lovers” starring Daryl Hannah, Santorini is an island of great history and culture. These two key elements make it suitable for the creative mind to flow and in Joe’s case rock out!

Joe has began recording his 11th album and even after 21 years performing Joe still feels like he is living a dream. “It was just yesterday that I was doing my homework and then opening for BB King.” He is accompanied in the studio by his dear friend and producer Kevin Shirley, bassist Carmine Rojas, keyboardist Rick Melick, legendary drummer Anton Fig and some special guests. Joe has pulled all the stops for this new album with louder,stronger and faster guitar licks. There will be more news coming from the Bonamassa camp about this new record to be released 2011. Be sure to hear Joe on the new Black Country Communion album available at www.jbonamassa.com and get the Free Download.

Source

There's also a cool video of Joe during the recording process. I couldn't get it to DL correctly, though... :?

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Here's a link for a free Joe B. Christmas tune...

Santa Claus Is Back In Town

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top