Login |  Register

Post subject: John Paul Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
LED ZEPPELIN's multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones is among the star studded lineup of guests that are set to appear at Mansons Guitar Show, held over two days (October 25-26) at Exeter, UK's Riverside Leisure Centre.

According to Total Guitar, Saturday's performances will be headlined by Martin Barre, guitarist with JETHRO TULL since 1969. Guests appearing during the weekend also include Justin Hawkins, the former frontman of THE DARKNESS and now HOT LEG.

Sunday will feature John Paul Jones answering questions during a special question-and-answer session.

For more information, visit http://www.mansons.co.uk

Profile  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:16 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to Guardian.co.uk, LED ZEPPELIN bassist John Paul Jones will perform with experimental rockers SONIC YOUTH in a work composed by mixed-media sound composer Takehisa Kosugi for New York's Merce Cunningham Dance Company. The event will honor the 90th birthday of choreographer Merce Cunningham, "whose radical approaches to space, time, and technology continue to redefine the way we experience dance," the press release boasts. A long-running collaborator of John Cage's, Cunningham was also the composer's life partner until his death in 1992.

Merce Cunningham At 90 takes place April 16-19 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Tickets start at $25.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: John Paul Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:45 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Bassist John Paul Jones has told BBC News that there were plans in 2008 for the original LED ZEPPELIN members to hit the road without frontman Robert Plant — under a different name — which were later abandoned.

Now, John Paul Jones who is currently playing with THEM CROOKED VULTURES, also featuring FOO FIGHTERS' Dave Grohl and Josh Homme from QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE — said things have worked out for the best. "Jimmy [Page] and I rehearsed a bit with Jason Bonham and we couldn't really agree on singers and that fell by the wayside," he said. "Then this came along and to be honest, I'm really happy."

THEM CROOKED VULTURES made their first official single, called "New Fang", available to radio stations on Monday (October 26). The track is also streaming at the trio's web site and is taken from the band's self-titled debut album, which is due for release on November 17. Meanwhile, following their first North American tour of mostly East Coast cities earlier this month, the group will next head west for four gigs in November.

The band will perform on November 17 at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles, November 19 at the Fox Theater in Oakland, November 21 at the Paramount Theater in Seattle, and November 22 at the Roseland Theater in Portland, Oregon. Tickets go on sale this weekend for all four shows.

THEM CROOKED VULTURES will head to the U.K. and Europe in December, followed by Australia and New Zealand in January.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to MusicWeek, LED ZEPPELIN/THEM CROOKED VULTURES bassist John Paul Jones will be honored at the 2010 Gold Badge Awards, which will be held on October 20 at the Savoy in London.

In total 13 Gold Badge Awards at this year's event, which acknowledges people who work in a wide variety of fields, from journalism to session work.

"A Gold Badge conveys so much that would otherwise be left unsaid," says Basca chairman Sarah Rodgers. "It says, 'What you do for us songwriters and composers is remarkable and has not gone unnoticed'; it says, 'We couldn't do it without you.'"

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Whatever happened to Them Crooked Vultures? They put out the album, but seemed to drop off the radar after that. :?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:14 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
RockHard wrote:
Whatever happened to Them Crooked Vultures? They put out the album, but seemed to drop off the radar after that. :?

According to Wikipedia (take it for what you want):

Grohl said in an interview that they are working on a second album that will be "more powerful than the first one".[23] John Paul Jones also stated in an interview while touring in New Zealand that they will be recording a new album, with a likely release date towards the end of 2010. When asked about the futures of Grohl and Homme's bands Jones said that they will get their frontmen back "eventually".[24] A video was uploaded to the band's official YouTube channel entitled 'Fresh Pots' which NME claimed was filmed during recording for their follow-up album.[25] Grohl clarified after the video's release that it was filmed a year prior, during the self-titled album's recording sessions.[26]

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:15 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Since there hasn't been any announcement, I'd say that release date is unlikely... I guess we just wait for any updates they decide to send out.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Their official site hasn't been updated since June but I did find this little tidbit on ultimateguitar.com:

Paul McCartney has revealed he asked about joining Them Crooked Vultures on bass, only to be told by Dave Grohl that John Paul Jones had already beaten him to it.

McCartney said he was first told about Them Crooked Vultures by Dave Grohl when the two went out to dinner together after playing together at last February's Grammys ceremony.

"We went out for a bite to eat afterwards and Dave told me he was starting this band with Josh [Homme]," he told the Daily Mail. "I asked him who was playing bass and he rather sheepishly told me he'd approached John. So you read it here first; Paul McCartney was nearly the bass player in Them Crooked Vultures."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
That would have been interesting, but I can't imagine Paul not taking over the songwriting in the group, which would have resulted in a much different sound.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
According to The Pulse Of Radio, LED ZEPPELIN bassist John Paul Jones has his sights on a new opera — not a reunion with his former bandmates. The ZEPPELIN fan-base has been drooling over Robert Plant's recent comments to Australia's "60 Minutes", which insinuated that it wasn't him who's holding the band back from reuniting and that his 2014 schedule is clear. Jones revealed to Red Carpet TV News that his upcoming original opera is based on August Strindberg's "The Ghost Sonata", and admitting, "It's unlike anything else. It's the emotion, the passion."

Jones, who is halfway through the opera's first act, revealed that he has no time for any serious live work, saying, that he only has time "to do little gigs that I don't have to prepare too much for." Regarding the prospects of ZEPPELIN reuniting in 2014, Jones said, flat out: "2014's full of opera for me at the moment."

John Paul Jones told The Pulse Of Radio that writing on his own is entirely different than collaborating as part of a band. "It's just a different process," he said. "You really can fine-tune an idea that you have, and take care of every aspect, exactly the way you want it. The downside is, of course, that you don't get the input that will change it into something else entirely. You don't know how it's gonna end up. If you do a song yourself, you've got a pretty good idea of how it's gonna end up."

Robert Plant meanwhile, credits his creative resurgence to the people and musicians in the Nashville scene, telling LA Weekly, "I have had an amazing education the last few years. The time I spent around all of those men and women was an eye-opening experience. The thing about working with musicians in Nashville is that they generally are always moving on to the next thing.. . . For the last year or so I've been writing quite a lot, and I like the way my voice sounds now. It's not the same as it was years ago. I'm not a castrato anymore but I've learned to get down into that pocket and have it sound good. So here I go again."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
:wtf:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top