Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Michael Anthony
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:11 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
"Eddie (Van Halen) started playing the riff to 'And The Cradle Will Rock' on a Wurlitzer electric piano. Everybody loved it but Dave (Lee Roth): 'No keyboards, Eddie! We're a guitar band. Nobody wants to hear you play the piano.'..."

Confession: To be honest, I only found that little tid-bit out recently. For some reason, I had always assumed the riff was played on a distortion- and phase-soaked guitar. In fact, I was able to reproduce the sound of the riff quite nicely using my multi-effects pedal using basically just those two effects.

I would have been even happier if I could have properly reproduced the riff itself. :lol:

:BB Fools

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: THIS is ur plan for catching spambots?
bildo wrote:
Michael Anthony's six career-defining albums:

5. "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (1991): "Thanks to Andy Johns, this was the first big bad bass record we ever had. Andy's a bass player, and the first thing he said to me was, 'Michael, I want to really hear you for a change.' All I could say was, 'Yes! Thank you!' The album had great energy to it. We had terrific songs like 'Poundcake' and we were really cookin'. I think it's one of our best overall."

SOLD!!!

I don't have that CD and after reading that, I definitely want it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
fruitless endeavor wrote:
bildo wrote:
Michael Anthony's six career-defining albums:

5. "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (1991): "Thanks to Andy Johns, this was the first big bad bass record we ever had. Andy's a bass player, and the first thing he said to me was, 'Michael, I want to really hear you for a change.' All I could say was, 'Yes! Thank you!' The album had great energy to it. We had terrific songs like 'Poundcake' and we were really cookin'. I think it's one of our best overall."

SOLD!!!

I don't have that CD and after reading that, I definitely want it.

Their best with Sammy, IMHO.

:BB Spanked

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
CHICKENFOOT/ex-VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony's 1993 Hiboy Roadster and Yamaha Flame bass are part of the Axes & Axles exhibit at the NHRA Motorsports Museum, along with rides from fellow musicians Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Vaughn and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. The exhibit coincides with the 60th anniversary of the Fender Telecaster and will be open to the public until June 30, 2011.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Joe Charupakorn of Premier Guitar recently conducted an interview with CHICKENFOOT/ex-VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Premier Guitar: Michael, there's a rumor that you're the richest among the original VAN HALEN members. Is that true?

Anthony: [Laughs.] Well, everybody used to joke that I saved the first dollar that I ever made in VAN HALEN. I probably did somewhere. You know what?! My wife Sue and I, we just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in February. That might have something to do with it, because every guy in VAN HALEN is divorced — a couple of them a couple of times. So, of course, that's going to tax their account a little bit.

Premier Guitar: Some people out there say CHICKENFOOT is in it just for the money, but you guys don't really need the money. Sammy [Hagar] made something like 80 million dollars selling a share of his tequila business.

Anthony: And that was just selling the first 80 percent. Once he sold the last 20 percent, I'm sure he made a good penny on that, too. The best part about CHICKENFOOT is that nobody needs the money. We've got nothing we need to prove to anybody. We wanted this to be a fun band and when we get in the studio it's just so loose, relaxed, and open. It's like the early days of VAN HALEN. Everybody's just throwing in their input and having a great time making music. We don't want any pressure and we said if any came up, we should just stop doing this.

Premier Guitar: Michael, if the situation presented itself, would you rejoin VAN HALEN?

Anthony: At this point in my life and career, I'm so happy with what I'm doing and I want to have fun making music. I don't want any drama. That whole drama thing in VAN HALEN, the way it ended up, I was like, "I'd rather make no money having fun playing music than make a shitload of money tearing my hair out." Maybe when I was 20, it would have been different, but not at this point. I want to keep my sanity.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
Premier Guitar: Michael, if the situation presented itself, would you rejoin VAN HALEN?

Anthony: At this point in my life and career, I'm so happy with what I'm doing and I want to have fun making music. I don't want any drama. That whole drama thing in VAN HALEN, the way it ended up, I was like, "I'd rather make no money having fun playing music than make a shitload of money tearing my hair out." Maybe when I was 20, it would have been different, but not at this point. I want to keep my sanity.

Well said... I just hope that time bears out the promise. :B

:BB Everybody Wants Some

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:12 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Earlier today (Wednesday, May 23), American Rock Scene conducted an interview with former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT bassist Michael Anthony. You can now listen to the first part of the chat below. A couple of excerpts follow.

On the 2004 VAN HALEN tour, where Anthony reportedly had to take a pay cut and sign away his rights to the VAN HALEN name and logo in order to participate in the trek:

Anthony: "Let's just say that I had to give up quite a bit to do [the tour] and the reason that I did it — because I didn't need the money or anything — was that was to be the last VAN HALEN tour, which, for me, it ended up being the last one that I would do. I wanted to go out for the fans one more time and do it."

On VAN HALEN's recent concert postponements and whether he thinks the VH bandmembers are really getting as well as they say they are:

Anthony: "I don't know. Everyone's got their own opinion as to what happened. I don't really care to comment on that. I've got my own theories on it. To me, it just sounds kind of interesting that if you're saying you're tired, or whatever, you wanna recharge your batteries, you don't go and put 30 shows on sale. If I were a fan, I'd be saying, 'Well, then why do you go and put 30 shows on sale?' If I were a fan, I'd be going, 'Wow, that just seems kind of odd.' [But] I wish them well. They put out a great album and they are a great live album, always have been. I heard that [Eddie Van Halen's] been sober, and that's great. A talent like that… I've seen too many great talents — all the way back to Hendrix — it's a waste to see something like that happen."

On whether he would ever consider playing with VAN HALEN again if the opportunity arose:

Anthony: "I don't know. As time goes on now, less and less… I mean, Ed's got his son [Wolfgang] up there with him now. I don't know. I really couldn't say. The circumstances would really have to be right. I was always the 'never-say-never' guy in the band. But as time goes on, I don't think about it, really, anymore. If it's gonna happen, it'll happen. I'm having a great time in my life doing what I'm doing now. That's what's important to me. My wife and I just bought a house, I have a daughter that's [getting] married this year, I have CHICKENFOOT. My relationship with those guys and everything is great."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:29 am 
Took a pay cut. FT shit. He is as much a part of the band as the VH brothers. What a pure class act. How can you kick a guy like this out of your band ? Shame Edward, shame. :x I would tell them to pound sandcakes.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 am 
The Lord of Destruction
thinlizzy wrote:
Took a pay cut. FT shit. He is as much a part of the band as the VH brothers. What a pure class act. How can you kick a guy like this out of your band ? Shame Edward, shame. :x I would tell them to pound sandcakes.

I think he just did. :lol:

Although it looks like he was doing a lot of stuttering and stammering while he was doing it. :?

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Bassist Michael Anthony (CHICKENFOOT, VAN HALEN) spoke about his new Peavey signature bass amp to David "Gus" Griesinger of BackstageAxxess.com at this year's NAMM (National Association Of Music Merchants) show, a massive music-products convention that took place January 24-27 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. You can now watch the chat below.

Amp details from Peavey: "The dual-channeled VB-MA is styled with a red backlit panel that features Anthony's chili pepper logo. The VB-MA combines four 12AX7 and two 12AT7 preamp tubes with a matched octet of EL34 tubes that give players tons of characteristic pentode tube tone with uncharacteristically tight response for an all-tube amplifier. An innovative, and tour necessary world-compatible switch-mode power supply and advanced design provide stadium levels of explosive tonality."

The amp features:

* Eight EL-34, Four 12AX7 and two 12AT7 tubes
* Universal power supply for worldwide compatibility
* Overdrive with blend control for blending in the overdrive with the clean channel with EQ control
* Striking red backlit panel with Michael Anthony's chili pepper logo
* Volume/Overdrive
* Low/Mid/Shift/High
* Bright switch
* Low cut switch
* Tube compressor with Level control
* Master 9-band graphic EQ with defeat switch and LED
* Master volume

Profile  Offline

Topic Top