Login |  Register




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:43 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Posts: 31626
Location: South of Heaven
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
With the new album and review fresh in our minds, I thought this would be a good time to address a 25 year issue... Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar considered mutually exclusive to so many fans? I liked both... and the Sammy years kept the band producing great tunes when they would have otherwise folded right in the middle of their heyday.

Sammy didn't keep Dave from coming back, after all. Dave and Eddie hated each others' guts... and they were all rolling in money and MTV-created ego. No way they would have gotten back together back then either way... and I didn't necessarily like the direction "1984" was taking them anyway, even if the album itself was good. Sammy's vocals lent a bit of an edge to the keyboard stuff that probably wouldn't have happened with Dave thinking in the poppy Jump/Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody vein.

I liked Sammy's solo stuff from before and after VH... and I liked Dave's solo stuff from after VH... so what we really got was a combination that worked really well for awhile and shaped the sound of Sammy's music afterwards. And Dave certainly wouldn't have had the stones to do an album like "Eat 'Em And Smile" without the success of Van Halen either.

Personally, I have to say I'm a little more partial to the original, mainly because it rocked a little harder... and I grew up listening to that stuff. On the other hand, by the time Sammy joined the fray, I was playing Dreams and Love Walks In on the car stereo while trying to figure out how to unhook a bra one-handed.

Both versions of the band were more than Good Enough to hold their own with their peers. I wouldn't trade either one, really.

The only thing I could have done without is the Gary Cherone disaster. :gig:

In the upside, that was the one tour I was able to see... and I got in for free, so what the hell. :P

Anyway, state your case... I'd like hear some opinions.



:BB Could This Be Magic?/Why Can't This Be Love?

_________________
"I told you... that we could fly... 'Cause we all have wings... but some of us don't know why..."
~ Michael Hutchens (RIP)


"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)


"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn


"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty


Image

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar


"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)


"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller


"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Warning: This one tends to ramble..."TENDS?"
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:22 am 
User avatar
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 am
Posts: 939
Location: Canterbury, New Brunswick, Canada
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
Great topic Steve, one which probably will never come to any resolution. One which I wouldn't even attempt to get into over at Y&T because it always deteriorates into arguments. With our small little crew here though, I think we're safe. :roll:

I can only really look at it from my own personal view, it's quite simple really. I started getting seriously into music around the same time that 5150 came out, period. That's my Van Halen, that was my starting point. At 11-12 years old, I didn't have any preconceived notions of what a band should or shouldn't sound like, I had no personal bias towards Sammy or Dave, indeed prior to '84 I'd honestly never heard of any of them, again it's an age thing here. All I knew is when I heard "Why Can't This Be Love" on the radio, I liked it, I liked the melody, I loved the guy's voice. Up till then I'd literally heard 5 Van Halen songs, those being the 4 singles from 1984 and "You Really Got Me." Obviously I had some serious catching up to do.

The biggest complaint about "Van Hagar" is that Hagar softened the band's sound. I was no music scholar in 1986 (still don't claim to be, just a hopeless music geek), but even if I had heard that accusation back then, my 12-year-old mind would have thought back to the material I had actually heard by both parties, including Dave's first few solo singles. I dunno, "Jump" and "I'll Wait" sound awfully keyboardy to me, and "California Girls" and "Just a Gigolo" are pretty damn poppy.

"But wait young Tim, you've only heard the singles"
"With all due respect sir, so have YOU!" I mean, "Good Enough," "Get Up," "5150," "Best of Both Worlds," all hard rocking songs (and yes, I know that last mentioned was a single.) And there were heavier ones to follow. Yes, of course Eddie wrote more commercial (read: catchy) melodies, he now had the luxury of a singer who could deliver that material. So OBVIOUSLY those are the songs the WB brass were going to want released as singles. I can't picture Lenny Waronker or Templeman or whoever made those decisions at Warners, listening to a playback of the 1984 album and saying, "You know, 'Jump' is ok, but I really think "Top Jimmy" should be the first single.

This is probably veering off track, but you know what I'm saying...hopefully.

When I started reading the rock mags like Circus, Hit Parader et al, I was quite surprised at the HATE I would read from fans and other artists toward the Van Hagar band. Keep in mind by the end of 1988 I had all the Van Halen albums, all of Dave's stuff and was just starting to fumble blindly trying to locate the Hagar solo stuff. Even though I preferred, and still prefer, the Hagar VH albums, I gave it all a listen, I liked all of it, and didn't really see why a choice had to be made, or why Sammy Hagar had such a bullseye attached to him for criticism. All the man was doing, was what he was hired to do. What anybody in his shoes would have done. Even back then I was very aware of the fact, there's a very good reason the band is named after their guitarist (ok ok, I know Alex is there, yes, but go with me here)...because HE'S the one calling the shots. So if people don't happen to like the direction Van Halen went in, why blame the new guy? Skipping ahead a little, the same could be said about Gary Cherone. I was very disappointed with Van Halen 3, but it wasn't Gary's fault, he's awesome. He was just the wrong choice. He too, did the best with what he had to work with. It's just that I happen to think that Sammy had better quality stuff to work with.

Now...

Having said all that, and disregarding the Cherone phase in Van Halen's career, it took me years to come to the conclusion that with Dave, and with Sammy, Van Halen really were two different bands. A totally different mindset was at work depending on who was at the mic. With Dave, they went into the studio and bashed out their albums, unfinished or at least unintelligible lyrics (seriously, does anybody really know what Dave's saying at the beginning of the second verse of "Everybody Wants Some"?,) goofing off, one-take magic. (And I can't help but think this must have been a factor in why it took them so long to come out with a new album with Dave.) A production sound that NO major label would accept as finished product today. By the time Sammy came along, the brothers VH and Mikey were accomplished, polished musicians, so that, coupled with a more capable vocalist, inevitably led to them sounding slicker and more precise. Which to some is a bad thing...fair enough. But...that doesn't mean they have to be exclusive to each other. They both contributed to an absolutely amazing body of work. A body of work which I'm happy to say, has not only continued with the new album, but branched out in the form of Chickenfoot, Dave's solo stuff, and Sammy's post-VH solo stuff. A wealth of great, great music to explore.

...and...

I strongly doubt that most rock fans born in 1974 or later, before the internet, would have even heard of Montrose had it not been for Hagar's high profile as Van Halen vocalist. And even people who claim to loathe Sammy Hagar solo and with VH, usually give props to the first Montrose album. (Honestly, I've yet to read a review bashing that album.)

I guess I have to wrap this up at some point, don't I?

I'm not naive enough to believe this would actually happen, but it would be nice to see a cease-fire in the Van Halen debate.

P.S. Steve, how was the show you saw with Gary? I've read mixed reviews. I've only seen VH once, with Hagar in 1995 and I thought they were great. Little did I know they were close to disbanding not a year later.

What is understood need not be discussed...(but that's what we do here!) :D

_________________
Saturday and Sunday nights from 6pm to 9pm (Atlantic time) playing a mix of old and new rock, at http://www.foxrocks.ca

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:10 pm 
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 am
Posts: 4103
Location: Gretzkyland
I think the best comparison for me would be Winger in this debate. I enjoy their body of work but the Anthology work where they stripped down the synth and got a little grittier is my favorite. On Karma they just go balls out blasting.

The similiarity between Van Hagar and Van Halen is similar. Remember when the first two cds came out for Van Halen we had all the disco crapola putting us into a silly stupor. Many of the hard rock bands were following the trend aka KISS and putting out very radio friendly disco shit. Lets all sing together now " I was made for loving you baby....You were made for loving me :lol: :roll: Basically rock had lost most of its nuts. Then the door opened for Van Halen to grab and scoop them up with the brown sound punch right in the face. Guitar worshippers where going nuts to hear and try and emulate Eruption. The world of rock was not DEAD. I love listening to the songs where they just let it roll and not try and be bothered with cleaning up the material at all. Dave is Dave I don't want to change him. For what purpose ? If your a person that wants a more cleaned up organized song writing structure then Sammy is your man. Again I enjoy all the Van Hagar but just not as much. Gary who ? Exactly burp in the meal is what he was. NEXT...... :wink:

Sammy's solo work is fine but as stated it doesn't grab me. Too me he has a very consistent process of working through his songs and they don't stray too much from his little formula. Of course he has become sucessful at this process but I don't really think he pushes his musical boundaries and tries stuff bizarre aka Steve Vai or Buckethead. He knows what works and sticks to it. JMO


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:49 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
User avatar
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 4873
Location: Indiana
thinlizzy wrote:
I think the best comparison for me would be Winger in this debate. I enjoy their body of work but the Anthology work where they stripped down the synth and got a little grittier is my favorite. On Karma they just go balls out blasting.

The similiarity between Van Hagar and Van Halen is similar. Remember when the first two cds came out for Van Halen we had all the disco crapola putting us into a silly stupor. Many of the hard rock bands were following the trend aka KISS and putting out very radio friendly disco shit. Lets all sing together now " I was made for loving you baby....You were made for loving me :lol: :roll: Basically rock had lost most of its nuts. Then the door opened for Van Halen to grab and scoop them up with the brown sound punch right in the face. Guitar worshippers where going nuts to hear and try and emulate Eruption. The world of rock was not DEAD. I love listening to the songs where they just let it roll and not try and be bothered with cleaning up the material at all. Dave is Dave I don't want to change him. For what purpose ? If your a person that wants a more cleaned up organized song writing structure then Sammy is your man. Again I enjoy all the Van Hagar but just not as much. Gary who ? Exactly burp in the meal is what he was. NEXT...... :wink:

Sammy's solo work is fine but as stated it doesn't grab me. Too me he has a very consistent process of working through his songs and they don't stray too much from his little formula. Of course he has become sucessful at this process but I don't really think he pushes his musical boundaries and tries stuff bizarre aka Steve Vai or Buckethead. He knows what works and sticks to it. JMO


:clap2:

_________________
NAPPY'S TOUR 2014

ImageImageImageImage


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:53 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 8:34 am
Posts: 40784
Location: Uranus
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
I like Sammy. Hate David.

I will now stand all alone on my little island. :cry:

_________________
Milk, milk, lemonade,
round the back fudge is made.


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
User avatar
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 4873
Location: Indiana
bildo wrote:
I like Sammy. Hate David.

I will now stand all alone on my little island. :cry:



And nobody will visit you on your island because you won't have cable. :P

_________________
NAPPY'S TOUR 2014

ImageImageImageImage


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning: This one tends to ramble..."TENDS?"
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Posts: 31626
Location: South of Heaven
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Canuck wrote:
Great topic Steve, one which probably will never come to any resolution. One which I wouldn't even attempt to get into over at Y&T because it always deteriorates into arguments. With our small little crew here though, I think we're safe. :roll:


Which is why I seldom poke my head in the door over at Ignorance Central... It's a shame that such a good band has ended up with such a collection of self-centered, ignorant blowhards on their forum. In fairness, though... Most of those people are cool, but you can't get to their posts because there's 5 or 6 people over there that make it impossible to have a civil discussion on anything.

'Nuff said, though. It wasn't my intent to sink to that level, and I do like quite a few of those folks. Apologies.


Canuck wrote:
I can only really look at it from my own personal view, it's quite simple really. I started getting seriously into music around the same time that 5150 came out, period. That's my Van Halen, that was my starting point. At 11-12 years old, I didn't have any preconceived notions of what a band should or shouldn't sound like, I had no personal bias towards Sammy or Dave, indeed prior to '84 I'd honestly never heard of any of them, again it's an age thing here. All I knew is when I heard "Why Can't This Be Love" on the radio, I liked it, I liked the melody, I loved the guy's voice. Up till then I'd literally heard 5 Van Halen songs, those being the 4 singles from 1984 and "You Really Got Me." Obviously I had some serious catching up to do.


Very well stated. I do think you're in a pretty unique position due to your age, though, as you mentioned. Sam Halen was pretty much a new band to you because they "re-broke" on the scene about the time you were first starting to really formulate solid opinions and preferences in music.

For the rest of us, though... We had already had nearly 10 years of Diamond Dave's incarnation of the band... with each album becoming more popular and highly anticipated than the previous one. By the "1984" days, Van Halen was simply HUGE. Everything they played was gold... on the airwaves, in the record bins, everywhere. They could do no wrong... and they were among a select few artists that seemed to transcend genre... and there music was just as at home in the mainstream top 10 as it was blaring from the speakers of the most hardcore rock fan. Not many bands could say that (and still can't)... and their break-up was nearly as traumatic to most rock fans as the death of Randy Rhoads.

I went to school with a girl that threatened to kill herself after Randy died. She kept saying that she didn't want to live in a world without Randy. :shock:

Yeah... Music was big where I grew up. REALLY big.

And I remember the anticipation and "supergroup" talk surrounding the rebirth of the legendary rockers was equally big. It's all anyone was talking about in my school for weeks and even months beforehand. When it finally hit, some hated it, some loved it... some fell on both sides of the fence (OUCH!)... but at the end of the day, everyone I knew bought a copy of "5150" and picked it apart, song by song and note by note.



Canuck wrote:
Having said all that, and disregarding the Cherone phase in Van Halen's career, it took me years to come to the conclusion that with Dave, and with Sammy, Van Halen really were two different bands. A totally different mindset was at work depending on who was at the mic. With Dave, they went into the studio and bashed out their albums, unfinished or at least unintelligible lyrics (seriously, does anybody really know what Dave's saying at the beginning of the second verse of "Everybody Wants Some"?,) goofing off, one-take magic. (And I can't help but think this must have been a factor in why it took them so long to come out with a new album with Dave.) A production sound that NO major label would accept as finished product today.


Yep. That goes to the heart of the point I was trying to make in my initial post.

The fact that Dave-era Van Halen so frequently sounded like they were drinking and joking, laughing and smiling, ripping out songs in one live take is a big part of what made them so special. I don't necessarily agree that the live, fun vibe of their studio albums would be rejected outright by the labels (then or now)... especially when the party vibe is big part of what the band and Teddy T. was selling. That's what made Templeman so brilliant. He may not have been the world's best engineer... but he also knew that he didn't have to be. He realized that the image and the sound went hand-in-hand... and that it was the combination of both that would make Van Halen stand out in the hard rock crowd. He knew what market he was shooting for... and he knew how to sell to the "young lust" demographic.

Van Halen wasn't just a band during the Dave years... It was a lifestyle.

It was a party on the beach with bikini tops, ripped shorts, beer and 17 year-old hormones run amok... Two hours past curfew and who gives a shit. 8)

They even tried to replicate that to a certain extent with Sammy... Summer Nights... goof-off jams like Inside... whammy bar dives and noodling/tapping on both sides of the mix. When they stopped trying to use the same techniques to market what amounted to a different band with different strengths, though... That's when Van Hagar started to really shine, IMHO. I thought that "F.U.C.K." was the best album Sam Halen album. Head and shoulders above the rest, in fact.


Oh, and before I forget... It's:
"I take a mobile light looking for a moonbeam...
Yeah, you stand in line and you got lost in the jet stream..."


That's right... I speak drunk and disorderly. :mrgreen: :wink:

Now, exactly whose lyrics mean, however, is anyone's guess... :lmao:


Canuck wrote:
By the time Sammy came along, the brothers VH and Mikey were accomplished, polished musicians, so that, coupled with a more capable vocalist, inevitably led to them sounding slicker and more precise. Which to some is a bad thing...fair enough. But...that doesn't mean they have to be exclusive to each other. They both contributed to an absolutely amazing body of work. A body of work which I'm happy to say, has not only continued with the new album, but branched out in the form of Chickenfoot, Dave's solo stuff, and Sammy's post-VH solo stuff. A wealth of great, great music to explore.


Again, I think they were all pretty accomplished musicians from day one... which is what made the selection of Sammy as the new lead singer such a smart move. Templeman already knew that Sammy knew how to write a single (as Lizzy mentioned... the "formula"). In fact, Sammy was also a Templeman disciple (he produced Sammy's "VOA" album, which spawned the top 10 I Can't Drive 55).

They played "dirty and loose" because it fit the vibe they were going for. Despite the loose jam feel of a lot of their early work, Eddie was immediately vaulted into the realm of the guitar gods... and Alex was routinely voted in the top 3 on all the music rag rock drummer polls. Ironically, in the early 80s, Sammy was frequently mentioned in guitar mags as a top-notch guitarist as well... which always made me wonder why they never marketed the band that way. They could have easily pulled off a "dueling axe-slinger" thing...

I guess it just didn't fit the good-time, party image they were trying to put across in their videos early on.


Canuck wrote:
I'm not naive enough to believe this would actually happen, but it would be nice to see a cease-fire in the Van Halen debate.


Agreed and amen. I guess an easy way to end the debate for the Sammy haters would be to say that Dave and Eddie were not got to work on the same stage after the breakup regardless... so you pretty much got Sam Halen or nothing... and I think even those who weren't crazy about the Sammy years would have to agree that it was still far better than nothing at all. It's pretty hard to argue that they didn't put out some very good tunes... and I'd have to question whether or not someone who disagreed was just bitter over the loss of the original band.


Canuck wrote:
P.S. Steve, how was the show you saw with Gary? I've read mixed reviews. I've only seen VH once, with Hagar in 1995 and I thought they were great. Little did I know they were close to disbanding not a year later.



Even my review alone would be mixed.. :lol:

I thought Gary was a terrible fit even before I heard the album. My opinion was confirmed after I (sadly) bought it. Then it became really apparent at the show (not to mention painful). He sounded OK on their "III" material (which they mercifully didn't do much of), but he looked and sounded way out of his element doing the earlier stuff, particularly the Diamond Dave tunes. To make matters worse, he pranced and jumped around like Freddie Mercury's flaming gay friend (yes, that guy :shock:) singing Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I have never seen (before or since) a performer that looked so far out of his element on a stage. It was like his entire on-stage persona was completely unhooked from the reality of the music was coming out of the PA. It really makes me wonder (call it morbid curiosity) what an Extreme show must have been like... and why an obvious pop-image singer chose to be in a rock band in the first place.

Any rock band.

That said... The band itself was pretty good, but seemed to be racing through most of the songs... probably to just get it over with, I suspect. :P

Overall, I was pretty let down by the whole experience. I had hoped that seeing the band live would overshadow the poor album they happened to be on tour supporting... and I thought that Cherone might have been able to do a better job on the classic material.

As a side-note, Kenny Wayne Shepherd was the opener. He put on a pretty good show.



thinlizzy wrote:
I think the best comparison for me would be Winger in this debate. I enjoy their body of work but the Anthology work where they stripped down the synth and got a little grittier is my favorite. On Karma they just go balls out blasting.


Boy, you guys just won't let that album go, will you? :gig:



thinlizzy wrote:
The similiarity between Van Hagar and Van Halen is similar. Remember when the first two cds came out for Van Halen we had all the disco crapola putting us into a silly stupor. Many of the hard rock bands were following the trend aka KISS and putting out very radio friendly disco shit. Lets all sing together now " I was made for loving you baby....You were made for loving me :lol: :roll: Basically rock had lost most of its nuts. Then the door opened for Van Halen to grab and scoop them up with the brown sound punch right in the face. Guitar worshippers where going nuts to hear and try and emulate Eruption. The world of rock was not DEAD. I love listening to the songs where they just let it roll and not try and be bothered with cleaning up the material at all. Dave is Dave I don't want to change him. For what purpose ? If your a person that wants a more cleaned up organized song writing structure then Sammy is your man. Again I enjoy all the Van Hagar but just not as much. Gary who ? Exactly burp in the meal is what he was. NEXT...... :wink:



Certainly a fair assessment, bro. :B

Personally, I think there's so many differences between the two versions, though, I don't even try to compare them. I also like Mk. 1 better... but Mk. 2 had a lot to like too.


thinlizzy wrote:
Sammy's solo work is fine but as stated it doesn't grab me. Too me he has a very consistent process of working through his songs and they don't stray too much from his little formula. Of course he has become sucessful at this process but I don't really think he pushes his musical boundaries and tries stuff bizarre aka Steve Vai or Buckethead. He knows what works and sticks to it. JMO


You listen to any of his post-Halen work? I think "Marching To Mars" and some of his other late 90s material had a lot more groove and soul. I would think you'd like it much better than his 70s-80s stuff. His pre- and post- albums are almost as apples and oranges and Van Roth and Van Hagar.


nappy2112 wrote:
:clap2:


Not for nothing, Napster... We all know you have an opinion, but do you have to be so fucking long-winded about it? :roll:

:wink: :lmao:


bildo wrote:
I like Sammy. Hate David.

I will now stand all alone on my little island. :cry:


Oh, Bill... Sometimes, I think you're just trying to hurt me... :cry:



:BB Spanked

_________________
"I told you... that we could fly... 'Cause we all have wings... but some of us don't know why..."
~ Michael Hutchens (RIP)


"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)


"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn


"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty


Image

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar


"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)


"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller


"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Warning: This one tends to ramble..."TENDS?"
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:41 pm 
User avatar
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 am
Posts: 939
Location: Canterbury, New Brunswick, Canada
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
RockHard wrote:
They even tried to replicate that to a certain extent with Sammy... Summer Nights... goof-off jams like Inside... whammy bar dives and noodling/tapping on both sides of the mix. When they stopped trying to use the same techniques to market what amounted to a different band with different strengths, though... That's when Van Hagar started to really shine, IMHO. I thought that "F.U.C.K." was the best album Sam Halen album. Head and shoulders above the rest, in fact.


My favourite of the Hagar-VH albums too Steve...magical album!!


RockHard wrote:
Oh, and before I forget... It's:
"I take a mobile light looking for a moonbeam...
Yeah, you stand in line and you got lost in the jet stream..."


That's right... I speak drunk and disorderly. :mrgreen: :wink:

Now, exactly whose lyrics mean, however, is anyone's guess... :lmao:


My teenage self thanks you for clearing up that mystery :-)


RockHard wrote:
thinlizzy wrote:
I think the best comparison for me would be Winger in this debate. I enjoy their body of work but the Anthology work where they stripped down the synth and got a little grittier is my favorite. On Karma they just go balls out blasting.


Boy, you guys just won't let that album go, will you? :gig:


No, no we won't. :P


And Bill...I'll come hang out for a bit...reminisce about better VH days :D

I Wouldn't Change a Thing



EDIT: I added quote boxes for my quotes to help clarify whose comments were whose. I hope you don't mind, Tim. ~ Steve :B

_________________
Saturday and Sunday nights from 6pm to 9pm (Atlantic time) playing a mix of old and new rock, at http://www.foxrocks.ca

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:47 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Posts: 31626
Location: South of Heaven
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Now you have to shift gears, guys. Bought it. Received it. Ripped it to MP3.

Now, you'll have to convince me to listen to it. :wink:

What's the best tune on it? Let's start there...

_________________
"I told you... that we could fly... 'Cause we all have wings... but some of us don't know why..."
~ Michael Hutchens (RIP)


"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)


"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn


"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty


Image

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar


"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)


"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller


"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:03 pm 
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 am
Posts: 4103
Location: Gretzkyland
Pull me Under

Big World Away

Witness

Deal with Devil


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm 
User avatar
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 am
Posts: 939
Location: Canterbury, New Brunswick, Canada
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
Thanks Steve...and CRANK up "Stone Cold Killer" too!!

_________________
Saturday and Sunday nights from 6pm to 9pm (Atlantic time) playing a mix of old and new rock, at http://www.foxrocks.ca

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions


Profile  Offline
 
 Post subject: Re: Why are Van Halen and Van Hagar mutually exclusive?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Posts: 31626
Location: South of Heaven
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Listening to it as I type...

Too early to call... but it's certainly heavier than their pop metal fluff.

_________________
"I told you... that we could fly... 'Cause we all have wings... but some of us don't know why..."
~ Michael Hutchens (RIP)


"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)


"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn


"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty


Image

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar


"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)


"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller


"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford


Profile  Offline
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Who is online

Rockers browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Panel

Top You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:  
 cron
Back to top
Powered by electricity... what were you thinking? © 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 80s Metal Server.
We need Beer! Created by the man under the bed