Vital Statistics:

Record Company: Meanstreak Music
Release Date: May 21, 2010
Producer: Y&T
Web Site: http://www.YandTRocks.com/

Musicians:

Dave Meniketti ~ Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar
Phil Kennemore ~ Bass, Vocals
John Nymann ~ Guitar, Vocals, solo on I Want Your Money and 2nd solo on Blind Patriot
Mike Vanderhule ~ Drums & Percussion, Vocals

Additional Musicians:

Loren Gold ~ Keyboards on Prelude/On With The Show

The Rundown:

1.) Prelude/On With The Show [1:39] (Kennemore): The album kicks off with a suitably dramatic introduction for such a long-awaited album. The spoken-word monologue and harmonizing background vocals are backed up by big, orchestral sounding music that serves to build tension for the facemelting you are about to receive... Rating: 9/10

Podcast

2.) On With The Show [4:09] (Kennemore): The Prelude is the perfect compliment to this fast-paced rocker. Phil fires off a cool little riff as the song kicks into full gear right from the first note... and it never breaks stride from there. The rhythm section of Phil and Mike is out front and leading the charge, while Dave and John pound out the riffs with authority. Dave's voice has a deeper, more gravelly quality that suits the song to a tee... and his solos are smoking hot. The song will make a great opener for the band's upcoming tour... and hopefully many more to follow. 8) Rating: 9/10

Podcast

3.) How Long [4:24] (Meniketti/Kennemore): The song starts out with a heavy, percussive riff... and once again, the rhythm section is right out front. The song is a narrative of a lost soul seeking repentance for some unknown transgression... but the music tells the story as much as the lyrics. Dave's vocal delivery really drives home the emotion of the music, as does his gut-wrenching solo. Well-executed and passionate. The only thing I'm left wondering is who's been a naughty boy? :lol:
Rating: 10/10

Podcast

4.) Shine On [4:59] (Meniketti/Kennemore): A Van Halen-eque intro leads into a very tasty riff on this track. The lyrics are a tribute to the "Facemelter Faithful" of the female persuasion... more specifically, the girls who grew up and became wives and mothers... but still get a chance every once in awhile to get dolled up and head out to spend a "One Hot Night" with their favorite band. This one is bound to be an instant fan favorite! All that's left now is to break out the blow pops... :lollipop: :lol:
Rating: 8/10

Podcast

5.) I Want Your Money [4:42] (Meniketti/Kennemore): This tune is a classic straight-on rocker with a nice groove. The lyrics are a commentary on the evils of green-eyed envy, and are delivered with wit and attitude. The band is really in fine form here, with Mr. Nymann getting a chance to step out front for a well-deserved solo... and he certainly doesn't disappoint. Do I sense a little competition for the guitar god spot in the band? :wink: Rating: 9/10

Podcast

6.) Wild Child [4:08] (Nymann): This song was written by John, and the difference in vibe is clearly evident right away. The song has a blusier edge to it... and the guitar work is blazing hot. Dave voice is dripping with passion... and the solo is delivered with intensity and fire. 10-to-1 the fretboards were smoking on this one! :guitar3: 8) Rating: 8/10

Podcast

7.) I'm Coming Home [5:12] (Meniketti): This track is another classic-sounding Y&T track with a definite Midnight In Tokyo vibe to it. Mike's drum work is particularly powerful on this one, and the band really finds the pocket and drives the song along with authority. Dave's vocals are brimming with emotion... and it's obvious that this is a band at the very top of their game from the very first note. Excellent! :tup Rating: 10/10

Podcast

8.) If You Want Me [4:32] (Meniketti/Kennemore): This is the album's only real power ballad, and it certainly delivers the melodic goods. The band sets the mood perfectly on this track, with each member delivering a particularly impassioned performance. Dave's voice is full of passion and longing, and the solos are just as intense. Sure to be a hit with fans, old and new alike. Rating: 9/10

Podcast

9.) Hot Shot [5:03] (Kennemore/Meniketti): The band provides a little comic relief on this rocker... telling the tale of a poor guy who's hormones are getting the better of him at a wedding. The band really lays down a nice groove here... and fortunately for all of us, Dave manages to keep from exploding long enough to get through the song... although not without some effort by the sound of it. :P A fun song with a comedic edge... and I'm happy to report that party dresses were all dry cleaned immediately after the song was recorded. :lmao: Rating: 7/10

Podcast

10.) Blind Patriot [4:07] (Meniketti): This tune is chock-full of fiery riffs and patriotic lyrics about the bravery of modern-day soldiers, who are willing to risk their lives for their country, even if they don't fully understand the reasons behind it all. For some reason, this tune didn't quite grab me the way the others have musically, but I can't really put my finger on anything specific I didn't like. As a military veteran, I can certainly appreciate the sentiment behind the lyrics, and the band is certainly spot on in their delivery. I'd suspect that this one might just take a few more listens to really grow on me, but it's certainly not a bad song by any means. I think most of you will like it right away (hence the good rating). Rating: 7/10

Podcast

11.) Gonna Go Blind [4:26] (Kennemore): This tune actually had me laughing out loud. There's a serious blues rock vibe on this song, which makes the lyrics all that much funnier. Um. How can I put this delicately? The song is all about a young guy who... ahem... loves himself a little too much... and too often. Well, our parents did try to warn us, right? :P
As great as the music is on this song, I still think I'd have to think twice before pulling up at a red light with the windows down while cranking this one... :gig: Rating: 10/10

Podcast

12.) Don't Bring Me Down [4:21] (Nymann/Kennemore/Meniketti): Here's another serious rocker... but unlike the last song, the lyrics here are intended to make a serious statement. As members of Y&T's forum know, Dave and the rest of the band sign in fairly frequently to interact with their fans whenever time permits... but just like most online forums, there always seem to be a couple of folks that prefer starting arguments and being generally obnoxious to posting anything constructive and worthwhile. This song is the band's response to those "cyber-trolls"... telling them in no uncertain terms that their negativity is not welcome. I think I detect a bit of a Who (as in "Who the fuck are you?" :lol: ) influence on the break riff as well. 8)

Musically, the band really knocks it out of the park here, without a doubt... and the hook is so good, it's bound to keep you coming back over and over again. Just a great song! Set to repeat and get all get all that negativity out of your system while getting your face melted. :mrgreen: Rating: 12/10

Podcast

13.) One Life [4:19] (Meniketti/Kennemore): Big drums, big bass, blistering riffs and inspirational lyrics about living life to the fullest. What's not to like? The song also features a particularly scorching solo turned in by Big Man Dave. A great way to close out the album on a positive, upbeat note... :mrgreen: Rating: 9/10

Podcast

14.) Losing My Mind (European Release Bonus Track): Not yet available for review. Comments will be added when the tracks become available...

15.) Deadly Deceiver (Japanese Release Bonus Track) : Not yet available for review. Comments will be added when the tracks become available...

Trivial Tidbits:

:B This album marks the studio debut of drummer Mike Vanderhule and guitarist John Nymann as full-time members of Y&T. Both previously appeared on the band's last live release, "One Hot Night"... and John also contributed to a few earlier studio recordings in various capacities before becoming an official member of the band.

:B "Facemelter" is the first new studio album from the band in 13 years. The last album, "Endangered Species," was released in 1997. The more recent "UnEarthed" albums (released in 2003 and 2004) were actually compilation releases of some of the band's earlier unreleased material.

:B The European and Japanese releases of this album will feature the bonus tracks Losing My Mind and Deadly Deceiver, respectively. These tracks will also be available for download at Y&T's Website, and at other online retail outlets on May 21st.

:B The name of the album reportedly originated as a term coined by a fan early in the band's career. Reportedly, he told the band, "You guys melted my face!" after seeing their show. The term has since caught on among the band's long-time fans and is now used to describe the experience of seeing the band's fiery live performances.

The Last Word:

After well over a decade, Y&T have finally delivered what most of their fans have been screaming for... a brand-new studio album. After a couple of listens, I'd say that the wait was well worth it. The band has managed to put together a collection of new songs here that feature the classic hard-rocking Y&T sound, yet still manage to sound fresh and new. Long-time fans shouldn't have any problem connecting with these tunes, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a whole new generation of fans getting turned on to the band with material like this as an introduction.

I must confess here that any time one of my long-time favorite bands releases a new album, I start to get a little nervous. Often, I think a lot of those bands try to recapture their classic sound, but end up falling well short of the mark in both the songwriting and performance departments, making them sound dated and flat. Sadly, in some cases, it almost borders on the pathetic. To make matters worse for me, I often have a hard time connecting to new material anyway because I tend to set the bar much higher with bands I've enjoyed for so long... so I often wonder if the songs will grab me enough to make me want to come back for a second spin.

Thankfully, I'm happy to report that my fears were definitely unfounded in this case. The band has managed to avoid sounding like a poor attempt to rehash the albums of their heyday, and they have delivered a set of songs that live up to the Y&T name. The songwriting is fresh-sounding and modern, and the band shows that they certainly have a few new tricks up their sleeve sound-wise to go with their decades of hard-rockin' experience. Even early on in their careers, they always displayed excellent musicianship... but if anything, I think these guys have managed to continue improving as musicians over the course of their careers. As a band that has toured regularly throughout the world in recent years, their chops are incredible and the performances are tight, and all that experience can be heard in every note of this album. Phil and Mike have really locked in as a rhythm section, laying down a rock-solid foundation for these songs, and Dave and John sound really tight as a guitar duo. Add to that the new depth in Dave's vocals that has come with age, and you have a recipe for a much wider variety of styles and sounds. They took full advantage of that here, delivering performances that seem to jump right out of the speakers and fill the room. Obviously, the top-notch production and attention to detail also helps in that department.

One listen is all it will take to realize that this isn't a band of aging rockers trying to take one last stab at recapturing old glory... This is a band that still has something to say, both creatively and musically.

Lyrically, the band tackles a wide variety of themes and ideas here, including some that reflect the social and political issues of modern-day life, such as the effect of war on the soldiers (Blind Patriot), our recent economic troubles (I Want Your Money), and some of the negative social aspects of the Internet (Don't Bring Me Down). On other songs, the band takes a completely different route, and with tongue planted firmly in cheek, decides to deliver the music with a smile... or in some cases, a hearty chuckle... :wink: Hot Shot sounds like the continuing story of the poor guy featured in classic songs like Barroom Boogie and Looks Like Trouble... and one listen to Gonna Go Blind is enough to make even the most seasoned rocker stop and think, "Did he really just say that?" :lol:

In the end, Y&T has returned to the studio with a vengeance, releasing an album that should definitely satisfy their fans... and attract some new ones as well. The songwriting plays to their strengths, and reflects the maturity and experience of a group that has been rocking crowds for 35 years now... and knows how to get the job done. Perhaps the best part is that that these songs will no doubt be melting faces all over the world this year when the band takes the stage... 8)

On a personal note, with the Jaxx show coming up soon, I just hope Don't Bring Me Down makes its way into the set at my show. I've had it on repeat for the last half hour... and I can't get the damn thing out of my head! Please help! :shock: :lol:

This album definitely makes "RockHard's Required Listening List" for 2010... and I do mean required. :tup

The Bottom Line (AKA - The Six-Pack Scale): :B :B :B :B :B :b

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Y&T: Facemelter
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:13 am 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
Cool. If it sounds like their old-school stuff it should definitely be good. Adding it to my list and hopefully get it sometime soon.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:43 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Dragon235 wrote:
Cool. If it sounds like their old-school stuff it should definitely be good. Adding it to my list and hopefully get it sometime soon.

It's not going to be released officially until the 21st, but they mailed out the pre-orders a bit early through the site.

Sadly for you, that means that Bill will most likely have his before you... which is pretty pathetic on your part... :ataunt:

:BB How Long

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
The cd pixie is sending me one! Yay! :cheer

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:03 am 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
RockHard wrote:
Dragon235 wrote:

It's not going to be released officially until the 21st, but they mailed out the pre-orders a bit early through the site.

Sadly for you, that means that Bill will most likely have his before you... which is pretty pathetic on your part... :ataunt:

:BB How Long

Considering that I have about 400 other albums that he should own, and doesn't, I'm not concerned :P

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: Yngwie Malmsteen, Y&T
Sweet review Steve! :mrgreen:

Your fave tune is mine as well......I called that one after only hearing the initial one minute clip, it's a freaking great song!!!! I'm really hoping (like you) that they throw this into the set list as a permanent addition! :tup

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:17 pm 
Favorite Band: Y&T since 1981
After about five listens, I have to say my face is not melted. I love it mind you, but it's not hard enough to be a "Facemelter."

My favs:
On With the Show
How Long
Shine On
Wild Child
I'm Coming Home - Favorite song on the CD
If You Want Me
Hot Shot
One Life

:B :B :B :B :B on the six pack scale.

2011 will mark my 30th anniversary as a Y&T fan. I hope their anniversary gift to me will be another CD that's a lot harder.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:25 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
I for one am hoping it doesn't literally melt my face.

On the other hand, that might actually make me more photo-genic. :?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:13 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Dragon235 wrote:
RockHard wrote:
Dragon235 wrote:
Adding it to my list and hopefully get it sometime soon.

Considering that I have about 400 other albums that he should own, and doesn't, I'm not concerned :P

Considering that I've got thousands of CDs that you should own, I'd be careful about calling out the kettle, Mr. Pot. :wink:

I got your back, Billster... :P

PG wrote:
Sweet review Steve! :mrgreen:

Your fave tune is mine as well......I called that one after only hearing the initial one minute clip, it's a freaking great song!!!! I'm really hoping (like you) that they throw this into the set list as a permanent addition! :tup

Sick minds think alike, Suzi... :wink:

:tup

mikel wrote:
After about five listens, I have to say my face is not melted. I love it mind you, but it's not hard enough to be a "Facemelter."

My favs:
On With the Show
How Long
Shine On
Wild Child
If You Want Me
Hot Shot
One Life

2011 will mark my 30th anniversary as a Y&T fan. I hope their anniversary gift to me will be another CD that's a lot harder.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear you say that, Mike. To be honest, I was thrilled that the album rocked as hard as it did. I definitely expected to hear more power ballads and the like.

I was pleasantly surprised that they really let loose on some of these songs. I think many of them are tailor-made for the live show too, which will be cool. 8)

The only problem now for them is deciding what can be dropped from their existing set... :?

bildo wrote:
I for one am hoping it doesn't literally melt my face.

On the other hand, that might actually make me more photo-genic. :?

Couldn't really hurt... :tease:

Incidentally, Tim is still waiting for his CD... but when it arrives, he is going to shoot me his review and I'll incorporate it into this thread, and possibly move it over to "Cuttin' Heads"... :tup

:BB Contagious

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:07 am 
RockHard wrote:
mikel wrote:

My favs:
On With the Show
How Long
Shine On
Wild Child
If You Want Me
Hot Shot
One Life

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear you say that, Mike. To be honest, I was thrilled that the album rocked as hard as it did. I definitely expected to hear more power ballads and the like.

I was pleasantly surprised that they really let loose on some of these songs. I think many of them are tailor-made for the live show too, which will be cool. 8)

The only problem now for them is deciding what can be dropped from their existing set... :?

:BB Contagious

Hey if Y&T farted in their microphone I'd dig it. I Believe in You is my all time favorite song and Rescue Me is my second favorite Y&T tune. I was just expecting some harder songs like: Black Tiger, Hurricane, Mean Streak, Open Fire, Hang 'Em High etc on a CD titled Facemelter.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:11 am 
The Lord of Destruction
mikel wrote:
Hey if Y&T farted in their microphone I'd dig it. I Believe in You is my all time favorite song and Rescue Me is my second favorite Y&T tune. I was just expecting some harder songs like: Black Tiger, Hurricane, Mean Streak, Open Fire, Hang 'Em High etc on a CD titled Facemelter.

I wasn't trying to pick on you, bro. :P

I just thought the stuff was pretty good from a rockin' standpoint. 8)

:BB Masters & Slaves

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:34 am 
RockHard wrote:
mikel wrote:

I felt very picked on Steve. I have low self-esteem and I'm very defensive. Okay that's funny I don't care who you are. :lmfao:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:16 am 
The Lord of Destruction
mikel wrote:
RockHard wrote:
mikel wrote:

I felt very picked on Steve. I have low self-esteem and I'm very defensive. Okay that's funny I don't care who you are. :lmfao:

I always knew you were a bit... um... delicate... :wink:

:lol:

:BB Rescue Me

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 am 
The Lord of Destruction
BTW ~ Dave has added the album to the Media Player so you all can take a listen. 8)

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm 
The Lord of all that matters
Favorite Band: The Lords of the New Church, Cult
I've always enjoyed your reviews. There is so much detail and the tidbits are always interesting. Great job!

I had Ross show me how to add the mp3s to your review. So now you can listen to the track as you read about it.

Stellar review Steve! :B

Profile  Offline

Topic Top