Login |  Register

Post subject: Ace Frehley - Anomaly
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:35 am 
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
Released 2009
Bronx Born Records

Personnel (varies from track to track):
Ace: lead and rhythm guitars, vocals
Derrek Hawkins: rhythm guitar
Anthony Esposito, Marti Frederiksen: bass
Anton Fig, Scot Coogan, Brian Tichy: drums
Marti Frederiksen: keyboards

Produced by Ace Frehley

A few months ago I posted my review of the latest Kiss album Sonic Boom, their first studio album in 11 years (which I'm still enjoying btw), well now here's Space Ace's first album in 20 years!! Understating considerably here, a lot has gone on since 1989!! Now we have a relatively-newly sober Ace with an album which honestly sounds like it could have come out in '90 or '91. That's not a put down by the way. It just has a very basic, classic hard rock sound.

I was actually never a really big fan of Ace's solo stuff, I've got it all and there are a few good songs here and there, but I picked them up because well, it was Ace ok? This album isn't all that different, but it probably is his most consistent solo album with the obvious exception of his 1978 solo album. And it's good to know Ace seems to have his shit together again.

1 ) Foxy & Free: The album gets off to a rockin' start, the verses on this one are reminiscent of "I'm in Need of Love." If you've never liked Ace's vocals, he sounds no different here. But I'm guessing most of us Ace/Kiss fans dig 'em. Ace always had this "everyday Joe" sound to his voice, like "oh heck with it, I'll sing this one!!"
2 ) Outer Space: This was the first "single," if indeed that term means anything anymore. Pretty much sums up the Frehley aesthetic to a tee. And fans of Ace's signature guitar licks won't be disappointed anywhere on this album either.
3 ) Pain in the Neck: Pretty catchy chorus on this one.
4 ) Fox on the Run: Ace always picked good covers for his albums ("New York Groove," "Into the Night," "Do Ya," "Hide Your Heart"...ok maybe not that one LOL) and here he provides a recognizable cover version of the Sweet classic, minus keyboards. The song is perfect for Ace's vocals.
5 ) Genghis Khan: This one's a oddity, mostly instrumental except for a few choruses mixed in. Nice acoustic intro, then turns into a slow rocker, with kind of a "Kashmir" feel to it.
6 ) Too Many Faces: A more introspective lyrics on this mid tempo one, pretty sure there's got to be some Kiss references in here. Too many faces wearing Ace and Peter's makeup maybe? The verses kind of play like "Wiped Out."
7 ) Change the World: This is almost a ballad, oddly enough it kind of reminds me of a slightly heavier Tom Petty? Maybe it's too early.
8 ) Space Bear: This instrumental is basically a guitar showcase, and it's a good one.
9 ) A Little Below the Angels: This acoustic song is one of Ace's most sincere lyrics to date. He gets some very special help on this one. Hint: "Dolls" from the first Frehley's Comet album.
10 ) Sister: Back to rockin' out here, the lyrics don't make a lot of sense but really, has that ever mattered with anything pertaining to Kiss or individual members?
11 ) It's a Great Life: Very different feel for an Ace Frehley track here, the verses almost sound like...Huey Lewis & the News? I dunno, just a cleaner guitar sound.
12 ) Fractured Quantum: The fourth installment in Ace's "Fractured" series, after 1978's "Fractured Mirror," 1987's "Fractured Too" and 1989's "Fractured III." Very nice melody here. Probably won't mean much to too many of us here, but it sounds like Tommy Shaw's "What If?"

An enjoyable, if not earth-shattering album from the Space Ace. The best two or three on here would have sounded really nice on Sonic Boom, but that's the way Kiss goes. And it's good to see him back. If you're a fan, you'll probably enjoy. I do have to say though, I loathe the packaging on this. The booklet folds out into some coffee-table mural of Ace or something. Unwieldy as hell. Even the disc itself is hard to get at. I ripped it onto my computer and that was that.

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Ace Frehley - Anomaly
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:45 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
I hated the packaging too. Fancy ass crap. The only thing worse is a Demons and Wizards album I have with about 5 gatefolds. :lol:

I hate to nitpick, but Fractured Quantum is actually the fouth installment in the Fractured series. His 78 album had Fractured Mirror. Frehley's Comet had Fractured Too. And Trouble Walking had Fractured III.

Good review. I agree that if somebody dislikes Ace's voice, they have no business getting this album, although it was nice to have as many instrumentals as it did. If you want my take on Anomoly, check out my comparison of the last 5 solo KISS albums in the pocket review section.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:39 am 
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
I can't believe I did that...thanks bildo, I fixed it.

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:43 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Canuck wrote:
I was actually never a really big fan of Ace's solo stuff, I've got it all and there are a few good songs here and there, but I picked them up because well, it was Ace ok?

I couldn't agree more. :clap2:

I always try to support the cause, but his solo stuff just doesn't always suit my tastes. I also agreed with your takes about the individual tracks. Some interesting stuff, all told.

Another great one, Tim! :B

:BB Steve

PS ~ As always, I edited your track numbers to add a space between the number and the ")"... Otherwise, it's all good til you get to 8... :lol:

Or should I say, 8)

I wish I could change the shortcut for the "cool" smilie, but at this point, it'd break a million existing appearances of the smilie already posted in the forum database.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
That damn '8' smiley problem is so old on this board, I'd probably actually miss it if it ever changed. :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:04 am 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
That damn '8' smiley problem is so old on this board, I'd probably actually miss it if it ever changed. :lol:

Yep... 5), 6), 7), 8), 9), 10)

It's at the point now where I hardly even register it... :lol:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 am 
Favorite Band: Ratt, Dokken, EZO, IM, etc
I bought it when it came out and it is pretty good.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
laxcdn wrote:
I bought it when it came out and it is pretty good.

I definitely thought it was better than any of his previous solo material.

Ace's original solo album is probably my least favorite of the bunch these days. Even Gene's gets more air time around here... :shock:

:BB Wiped Out

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top