Login |  Register

Post subject: Journey - Eclipse
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:24 pm 
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Facebook: Tim Durling
Released: 2011
Label: Nomota
Produced by Kevin Shirley
Co-produced by Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain

Personnel:
Arnel Pineda - lead vocals
Neal Schon - all guitars, vocals
Jonathan Cain - keyboards, vocals
Ross Valory - bass, vocals
Deen Castronovo - drums, vocals

Three years ago, Journey surprised the crap out of me with the aptly-titled Revelation, which not only presented Arnel Pineda as new lead vocalist, but did the near-impossible...it actually sold!! Platinum as a matter of fact, yes I know where it was a multi-disc package it only had to sell half the usual required sales...ok so it really only sold enough to go gold...that's still a major achievement.

So maybe Pineda didn't win over the hearts of Journey fans everywhere, he won over enough. But the question is...how does Journey follow up their "comeback" album? Revelation, whether you cared for the end result or not, was written and played to sound as much like a classic 80s Journey release as possible, even scoring a minor AC hit with "After All These Years."

Eclipse I'm happy to report, presents a veteran rock band who couldn't care less if their new music gets played on the radio. Only two of the album's twelve tracks clock in at less than 5 minutes long, and one of the shorter tracks is an insane instrumental. Apparently, ok make that what I've read on http://www.melodicrock.com, Kevin Shirley bowed out of the production early on, leaving the engineering duties to David Kalmusky. I'm sure having Schon and Cain as "co-producers" had nothing to do with it either LOL. Scuttlebutt has it that Schon wanted long tracks, lots of soloing, where Friga wanted to preserve the "heritage" sound of Journey AKA ballads and mid-tempo tracks. No surprise who won out. I have to say as a fan, I'm on Neal's side too...to a point. He has horrible taste in women ha ha.

1) City of Hope - Right out of the gates you know Schon is making a statement that this album is going to be more guitar-oriented than what the casual Journey fan is used to. Arnel sounds great on here, I know he's going to have nay-sayers but well, hey, sounds good to me. This is a powerful anthem with the giveaway line "never stop believin."

2) Edge of the Moment - Not to be confused with "Edge of the Blade," this nonetheless is a rocker indeed, very dramatic tune, Schon burning up the frets as usual.

3) Chain of Love - I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that this song shares its name with a song by Tall Stories. Remember that band from the early 90s…what was their singer’s name…oh yeah, Steve Augeri!! This song starts out a lot like “Waiting For a Girl Like You” by Foreigner, then strangely piano starts up, and it’s as if Cain started playing “Right Now” by Van Halen backwards. Another good one, a little slower.

4) Tantra – You might think this is the big ballad on the album by the beginning, just piano and voice, then Schon leads the band in with a bluesier feel. I have to say, I love the fact the songs are so long and jammy on here, for one simple reason. I love this band and I love to hear them play :-)

5) Anything is Possible – Typical optimistic lyric on this, and music to match. This is one of those finger snapping mid-tempo songs in the vein of “After the Fall.”

6) Resonate – This one, once again starts out like a ballad but gains some steam. The lyrics talk about “missing home,” yet surprisingly enough Arnel didn’t write it.

7) She’s a Mystery – And don’t give me any of that “do you really expect Schon and Cain to loosen the songwriting reins at this point?” because Pineda does get a co-writing credit on this one. And I think it’s one of the album's best. Starts out with a long acoustic intro, something like Night Ranger or Damn Yankees might do. Then it kicks in with a heavy riff and Arnel exploring the higher reaches of his vocal chords, sometimes sounding a bit like Rik Emmett?? Good stuff.

8 ) Human Feel – A tribal beat drives this rocker from start to finish. Journey’s comment on technology and “too much information.” Yeah, like that pesky YouTube right guys?? But seriously, this is a good strong rocker, sports a “rise up” chant towards the end that kind of has a Def Leppard feel. Neal just playing to hear himself play at this point, more fret-burning here per tune than any Journey album in years.

9) Ritual – Another rocker, faster one too!! Melodic but not overly poppy chorus and…get this…more shredding guitar. Nice four on the floor drumbeat from Deen-o.

10) To Whom it May Concern – Really the albums only true ballad, which is astounding. Begins a guitar/keyboard theme around 4:20 that turns up later…

11) Someone – Now this is the album’s one really typical sounding Journey song, wouldn’t have sounded out of place on Raised on Radio, although how typical a Journey album that is, is a “whole ‘nother story.” I actually played this one on my Solid Gold Show during the “New at 9” feature.

12) Venus – The album’s shortest song is also its least commercial. This reprises the melody heard at the end of “To Whom it May Concern,” an off-time, almost progressive motif reminiscent of Kansas or…could it be…early Journey? No exaggeration, when I hear Schon and Castronovo going apeshit with fills, it could just as easily be Schon and Dunbar. Love it!!

Obviously this album isn’t making the impact its predecessor made (my closest Walmart now has it marked down to five bucks) but who cares??
I'm not the band's manager, but you could make a small case for the album's cover art, being at least partially responsible for its lackluster performance. It's typically cool Journey cover art, but it's dark, and in CD form is practically invisible. It doesn't jump out at you like Revelation did. So if you're even a casual Journey fan, next time you're at Walmart, spend the $5-7 and add this to your collection.

To watch AND listen to me blather on, I give you Tim's Vinyl Confessions

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2fi5G ... iBkLtUEWFg

https://twitter.com/TimsVinyl

https://www.facebook.com/timsvinylconfessions

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Journey - Eclipse
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:03 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
Favorite Band: DIO
Man I gotta get me this one now. Thanks for the cool review, dude!!

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:29 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
The album can only have benefited from the caveman's abscence in production . The only thing that I've heard that he produced that didn't sound like crap is Rush's Counterparts.

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:17 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
If I saw it for 10, I'd get it. Don't see it anywhere though.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:44 pm 
Favorite Band: Y&T, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Journey, April Wine, many more
Any Walmart should have it...check out the cover art online Bill, like I said you could very well miss it if you didn't know what to look for.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:30 pm 
Heavy Metal Honey
Favorite Band: Yngwie Malmsteen, Y&T
Nice review Tim, but i'm still not buying it...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:57 pm 
Wow, that's harsh Sue. :wink:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:19 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo wrote:
If I saw it for 10, I'd get it. Don't see it anywhere though.

I think it's a Wal-Mart exclusive... so you're stuck going to the Evil Empire (or trekking through the Amazon) to get it.

Another good review, Tim. :B

I've had this one almost since it's release... but it's one of the many that got ripped to MP3 and promptly forgotten.

I guess I'll have to give it a go at some point. :lol:

Hey Suzi... Gonna buy it now? Are ya? Huh? Huh? Are ya? You know you wanna... :P

:lmao:

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:26 pm 
Heavy Metal Honey
I can tell you it's a pretty safe bet I will never buy another Journey release.....

Shocking, I know. But they lost me with the addition of Arnel, and the Schon crap that's surfaced in the past few months has been beyond disappointing. His personal life has nothing to do with his playing, but Its sad to see someone youve admired since childhood act like such a tool at this stage in his life. He lost any respect I had left for him.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:28 pm 
Heavy Metal Honey
Besides .... I wouldn't need to buy it anyway. I could just come to your house and take it ;)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:36 pm 
Well LOL...I have to agree with you about Neal, it's pretty sickening. But I don't listen to these people because they're necessarily pillars of good behaviour.

Do me a favour and at least check out "Venus," the instrumental, k? Here, I'll even do this for ya...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbHdQza83cA

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:40 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
PG wrote:
Besides .... I wouldn't need to buy it anyway. I could just come to your house and take it ;)

:shock:

Blasphemy! You would come and try to steal one of my babies? :?

That just makes me sad... :cry:

Of course, they are only 5 bucks at Wally World. :P

Canuck wrote:
Well LOL...I have to agree with you about Neal, it's pretty sickening. But I don't listen to these people because they're necessarily pillars of good behaviour.

That's kind of the way I look at it. After all, I'm the guy (yes, singular :lol:) who actually bought "Chinese Democracy"... :lol:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:48 pm 
The Ultimate Dio Fan
Favorite Band: DIO
Van Halen's new one is due out on Tuesday, Feb. 7th. Modern technology can make ANYONE sound good.......even David Lee Roth. :lol:

When you're on your way to somewhere - But the elevator falls - Do you look for stairs to heaven - Or wander through the halls…..

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
PG wrote:
I can tell you it's a pretty safe bet I will never buy another Journey release.....

Shocking, I know. But they lost me with the addition of Arnel, and the Schon crap that's surfaced in the past few months has been beyond disappointing. His personal life has nothing to do with his playing, but Its sad to see someone youve admired since childhood act like such a tool at this stage in his life. He lost any respect I had left for him.

Careful you don't spill any of that jealousy on the sofa. You may stain it. :mrgreen:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:36 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Because you're jealous of that blonde ding-bat.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top