Producer: Kai Hansen & Dirk Schlächter
Web Site: http://www.gamma-ray.com/

Musicians:

Kai Hansen ~ Vocals, Lead & Rhythm Guitars
Henjo Richter ~ Lead & Rhythm Guitars, Keyboards
Drik Schlächter ~ Bass Guitar
Daniel Zimmerman ~ Drums

The Rundown:

1.) My Temple [4:57] (Hansen): Wow! This one starts off hard & heavy... like a jackhammer! :twisted: Kai's vocals range from an Udo-like half-whisper, half-growl to towering screams. The guitar work and rhythm section keep up a mad pace... with some nice variations thrown in there to keep you guessing. Not too shabby... 8) Rating: 7/10

2.) Fight [3:24] (Richter): The orchestral opening on this track leads directly into a fiery flurry of riffage by the band. Now I know where Dragonforce gets their ideas. :wink: The interplay between Kai and the other voices along with the upbeat melody lines gave me a very "Helloween" kind of vibe... which certainly stands to reason, right? Excellent track. Rating: 9/10

3.) Strange World [5:03] (Hansen): Yes! Riffer madness! :twisted: This tune takes the tempo down a couple of notches, showing us that the band can rock out old-school, too. Huge choruses and some outstanding guitar work make this one stand out from the pack a bit. Killer solos on a killer track! Out-friggin'-standing!!! Rating: 10/10

4.) Hell Is Thy Home [4:46] (Hansen): Whoa! How the hell do you get your fingers to move that fast? This song features striking melodies layered onto a backdrop of absolutely frantic shredding. An absolute roller coaster ride of a song and yet another metal anthem chorus on this one. The pace is just insane... and I like it! Rating: 7/10

5.) Blood Religion [6:53] (Hansen): Ah! Do I detect a bit of a Maiden intro, complete with the patented Dickinson whisper? :wink: I'm pretty sure I do, but that's where the similarity ends. This one runs the gambit from classic rock crunch to shredding power metal... and back again. A definite Maiden vibe can be heard throughout the song... but I don't have a problem with that.
Do you? :wink: Rating: 9/10

6.) Condemned To Hell [4:56] (Zimmerman): This song was definitely written by the drummer! :twisted: The rhythm section is up-front on this mid-tempo riff-fest. This song features some heavy-hitting sledgehammer drum work, especially during the break. Despite all that, the song even manages to get a bit of a groove feel, at times. A very cool song to keep things from getting monotonous... Solid track! Rating: 8/10

7.) Spiritual Dictator [5:38] (Zimmerman): The band throttles it back up to full speed on this track... and are firing on all cylinders. The band keeps a nice sense of melody throughout, though. It's hard not to get swept up into the different themes and speed changes. Soaring solos and melodic interludes, driving riffs and big choruses. In other words, it's like the best of both worlds... Maiden on speed. :lol: Rating: 8/10

8.) Majesty [6:23] (Hansen): A wicked Sabbath-esque intro... leads us right through the gates of Hell and beyond! :twisted: Killer drum work... rock-solid riffing... awesome flange effects on the guitars and even the vocals. This tune definitely gives off an evil, demonic glow... complete with gloomy atmospheric parts and heavy-duty riffs that would make Rob Halford drool! Kai does a great job of it, though... No Halford required for this one... :twisted: Rating: 11/10

9.) How Long [4:06] (Hansen): This tune is more of a straight-ahead metal track with a late-80's feel. There is some serious keyboard work throughout the track, but don't let that fool you... This track is still H-E-A-V-Y! The band is rock solid... and the song will definitely get your fist in the air... 8) Rating: 7/10

10.) Revelation [8:30] (Richter): This is a serious contender for the power metal anthem crown. 8) This song features huge choruses, wild guitar shredding à la Mr. Malmsteen, machine gun rhythm work and enough time changes to make you feel dizzy... :lol: On top of it all, the song clocks in at 8 1/2 minutes. Warning: listening to this entire song is like putting a car in neutral at the top of Mt. Everest... and getting into the back seat! Yep... you guessed it... a helluva ride! :wink: Rating: 8/10

The Last Word:

The more I hear this band, the more I like 'em.

I will admit... I am relatively new to the world of Gamma Ray, despite the fact that they have been around for quite some time. After listening to this album a couple of times, however, I've noticed that they seem to wear their influences on their sleeve: Helloween (of course!), Iron Maiden, Yngwie J. and maybe a bit of Priest and Accept thrown in for good measure... :wink:

That's not a problem for me... I like a band that can pay tribute to the greats without totally ripping off their sound. This band does that admirably... They throw their favorites into a blender and manage to come out with an original sound. This album was actually my first taste of Gamma Ray (I have gotten a bit more of their stuff since)... and I must say that I enjoyed the music a lot more than I thought I would.

Whenever I hear that Yngwie-like power-noodling, I start to get nervous. There are some bands out there that really get a bit fretboard-happy and play every song like they are trying to break the sound barrier! And they know who they are... :evil: That gets on my nerves quick. A good song is still about the melody... It should be taking you somewhere and shouldn't wander around too much to get there or the audience loses interest (especially me :wink: ). It was good to see that the boys in Gamma Ray know that. They put together an album with enough variety to keep things interesting but not so much that it becomes a wandering noodlefest. :lol:

This disc is a definitely a solid collection, to say the least. I was impressed with the musicianship and even more impressed with the songwriting. They managed to change their approach enough on each song so that they don't run together in a quick flurry of notes. Each stands on it's own merit and is distinct from the others. That's not always an easy thing to accomplish... 8)

I would like to be able to recommend that everyone go out and get some Gamma Ray discs but I can't. :shock:

That's right... I only have a couple of their discs and don't want to drive the prices up before I get a chance to snatch them all up! See? There is a method to my madness... :lol: You're safe to buy this one, though. It's a solid 5 (bordering on a 5 1/2)... plus, I've already got it. :wink:

RockHard approved! :B

The Bottom Line (AKA - The Six-Pack Scale): :B :B :B :B :B

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:04 pm 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Strange World is the one where I immediately think of Maiden. Check out the albums Powerplant and No World Order to hear a lot of Priest and Maiden "tributes."

Anyways, your review is dead on. I love me some melody in my metal which is why I tend to lean towards classic metal and power metal. Bands like Gamma Ray may have the speed but they never abandon melody for the sake of it. I, myself, cannot really handle speed metal because of that.

Yes, you are right the tracks all stand on their own without the album losing focus in it's entirety. They're all quality songs.

It's nice to know I might have influenced somebody to pick up a new band, seeing as how I never really got into music until my LATE teens. I was the one that was always behind the ball getting recommendations from all of my friends.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:40 pm 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
that's how I feel, except I'm getting all my recommendations from guys 20 years older than me :lol:

I guess I'll start by getting this disc when I have money since Steve seems to like it so much.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
bildo ~ Yep... You definitely have turned me on to some good stuff here... I have liked a lot of the stuff you have mentioned here...

You never stop learning... and you can never hear it all... but it's fun trying... :wink:

Glad you liked the review... :B

Ben ~ This would be a good disc to cut your teeth on... :twisted:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:10 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
I can't seem to get this cd out of my car now! :P

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 pm 
The Lord of YouTube
Imo "Heading for Tomorrow" still is their greatest album...

Too bad Ralph Scheepers is no longer in the band....

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:07 pm 
The Lord of YouTube
Hmm, Majesty is great.., do I hear some Rainbow influences in some parts here, as in Stargazer...and Gates of Babylon...?

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:01 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Asle_dale wrote:
Hmm, Majesty is great.., do I hear some Rainbow influences in some parts here, as in Stargazer...and Gates of Babylon...?

I got a bit more of an early Sabbath vibe, personally... but I can definitely see where you're coming from. Early Rainbow could definitely fit the bill, too.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:36 pm 
Heavy Metal Honey
I really want to hear this one... 8)

Love bites you, invites you, to feast in the night. Excites you, delights you, it drains you to white.
Love bites...
[/center]

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:49 am 
The Lord of Destruction
vampress wrote:

I could sing it to you a cappella... :shock:

Hey, where did everybody go? :wink:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:53 am 
Heavy Metal Honey
RockHard wrote:
vampress wrote:

I could sing it to you a cappella... :shock:

Hey, where did everybody go? :wink:

Would you please??!! :D

I've been wondering the same thing... where'd everyone go?

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:39 am 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
I've listened to the first few tracks on here and the guitars appear a little more back in the mix than I'd like :?

Still, pretty great work, vocals are a lot better than I was expecting as well. Judging off just what I heard I'd project a 8.5 or so

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:27 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Yep... Good disc... Very good disc... 8)

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Gamma Ray: Majestic
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:15 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
Listened to this one to over the weekend and I think Steve is right here , sounds like 90's Priest mixed with Accept ..not much for the era of Priest but always liked Accept.

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Gamma Ray: Majestic
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
nappy2112 wrote:
Listened to this one to over the weekend and I think Steve is right here , sounds like 90's Priest mixed with Accept ..not much for the era of Priest but always liked Accept.

Confession: This review is so old, I saw it on the 'new posts' list and thought, "Cool! A new review..." :lmao:

I gotta quit drinking... :gig:

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top