Web Site: http://www.dreamevil.se/

Musicians:

Niklas Isfeldt ~ Vocals
Fredrik Nordström ~ Lead & Rhythm Guitars, Keyboards
Gus G. ~ Lead & Rhythm Guitars
Peter Stålfors ~ Bass Guitar
Snowy Shaw ~ Drums

The Rundown:

1.) Chasing The Dragon [4:01]: This track takes off from the word go and doesn't look back! Crunchy riffs and big choruses... very cool! The song features keyboard parts throughout (which are normally not my thing), but they fit the song nicely and don't take away from the "balls" of the riffs... Great hooks and a ripping solo make this song a keeper! Lemme at that damn dragon! :wink: Rating: 9/10

2.) In Flames You Burn [4:34]: This song starts off with a beautiful little acoustic piece that really shows off Niklas' vocal skills. However, it doesn't take long for this tune to shift into third and then up into overdrive! The verses have a definite "Damage, Inc." feel to them, which is just fine with me! :twisted: The guitar parts shred and I'm pretty sure I heard at least one of the amps go up in flames during the guitar solo! This is a balls-out rocker. Period. Rating: 10/10

3.) Save Us [3:39]: A classic heavy metal anthem, complete with "Balls to the Wall" shouts during the bridge and Dio-esque Swords & Sorcery lyrics. Very heavy... This song will make you feel the crunch... and I like crunchy! :twisted: Rating: 9/10

4.) Kingdom Of The Damned [3:54]: Warning! Heavy-Riff Zone Ahead... 500 feet... 8) Great melodies and a rocking rhythm section... This song is guaranteed to make your fist shake and your head bang... What more could you possibly want? Rating: 9/10

5.) The Prophecy [4:14]: Um... Fred... Gus... Don't look now but your fretboards are on fire! Fast and furious riffs from beginning to end... This song gave me a bit of a Helloween vibe... A nice blend of shredding and melody... YEESSS!! :twisted: Rating: 9/10

6.) The Chosen Ones [5:02]: Another nice acoustic intro slowly builds into a swelling chorus fit for the halls of Valhalla! Orchestral parts blended with big guitars... and it all works amazingly well! The whole song blends nicely with the Dungeons & Dragons lyrics, which are masterfully delivered. Where's my sword? I'm ready for battle... :twisted: Rating: 9/10

7.) Losing You [5:56]: A power ballad? Where the hell did this come from? :shock: Actually, it's a killer song! Beautiful vocals over piano, guitar and orchestral swells. Oh... and what's this I hear? Do I detect a little Rock N' Roll Children thing happening here? :wink: Maybe a bit of a Savatage feel as well. Top-notch delivery top-to-bottom! Very cool... with one problem. It seems so out of place here! It doesn't even come close to fitting in with the rest of this album. It's a love song... But you know what? I don't really give a crap! It's a great song. Period. End of story. Rating: 10/10

8.) The 7th Day [3:33]: Ouch! After the last song, I was feeling a little mellow. Smack! This one hits you in the face like a ton of bricks! Riffs and solos right out of Yngwie's bag o'tricks... This is another headbangers delight! Yngwie's gonna be pissed... :P Rating: 8/10

9.) Heavy Metal In The Night [4:54]: Here's another song that's a bit out of place here... Harmonics... Whammy bar dives... Simplistic lyrics... This one fits more of a straight 80's heavy metal mold... This song must've been recorded in '86! No other way to explain it... Pretty good song... but it just doesn't fit in here... Rating: 6/10

10.) H.M.J. [2:46]: A little groove thing happening on this one... This tune fits perfectly with Heavy Metal in the Night, same 80's metal feel... The lyrics are way too simplistic, however... "Heavy Metal Jesus"? Trying a bit too hard, maybe? Rating: 4/10

11.) Hail To The King [3:30]: A definite Dio lyrical vibe happening here... This one fits in a little better with the earlier tracks. The songwriting is again a little simplistic... Not a bad song really... Just nothing to write home about. Rating: 5/10

12.) Outro [0:15]: It is what it is... Just some noise to let you know that the disc is over! :wink: Rating: N/A

The Last Word:
DragonSlayer was the first release by Dream Evil, featuring former members Gus G. on guitars and Snowy Shaw on drums. Listening to this release for the first time, I realized that I have a unique perspective here... My first exposure to this band was their most recent release, "United." Now, I get to see (actually hear :wink:) where it all started, making this a difficult task in some ways.

I had some input from others just before tearing into this disc... I heard things like... "My favorite album..." and "This is the best thing they've ever done..." After the first listen, I thought to myself... "Hey, this is pretty good... especially for a debut album." That's all... nothing exceptional. After a second (and third... and fourth... :lol: ) listen, however, many of these songs really got a hold of me. That is exactly why I try to listen to each track several times when I do a review... This way, I can give you a feel for what might grow on you (and what might grate on you). :lol:

So, after several run-throughs, I can tell you this. As musicians, these guys are just-plain talented. Period. Frederik and Gus can flat-out get it done on guitar. I will confess that I am unsure who played what parts but both were excellent, so I don't really care! :wink: Niklas' voice is versatile and goes from growling to melodic with ease. The rhythm section here is tight as a drum, too. Peter's basslines are rock-solid... and Snowy's calves must look like they belong on the Hulk! Great pedal work. 8)

Now for the hard part... I felt that this album lacked experience. There's no other way to put it. Don't get me wrong... the first eight songs were excellent! They blended various influences into a unique sound and style that had me headbanging like a teenager again! After that is where it got a bit strange. Losing You might possibly be one of the best ballads I've ever heard... and that's pretty high praise coming from me! It just seems a bit out of place here... and after The 7th Day , the album really seems to be a bunch of individual songs that were tacked onto the end of this album randomly. In fairness, they are pretty good songs by themselves. They just don't flow and were a bit inconsistent at times... They certainly didn't grab me the way the rest of the disc did... It's almost like they were running out of songwriting ideas. I don't know how else to put it... :?

At the end of the day, I would recommend this album to anyone... Just don't expect perfection. There are 7 or 8 real keepers on here. Overall, this is an excellent debut by a band that put together some GREAT songs and a couple of decent ones thrown in. They just needed a little more experience putting together an album that flows from start-to-finish as a coherent work. After listening to "United," I can tell you that they have since learned how to do just that... :wink:

The Bottom Line (AKA - The Six-Pack Beer-o-Meter): :B :B :B :B :b

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:36 am 
The Ultimate Metal Master
Favorite Band: Iced Earth,Blackmore's Night,The Coop
Had to move this Steve, sorry didn't fit in the parameters ;)

but, one great review, and i have to agree the last few songs do stray from the storyline a little bit. can't believe you didn't like H.M.J. tho! that is a killer tune imo! though, the points you make about are true and i see where you're comming from.

"Losing You", I second as one of the best ballads of all time.
but, it isn't really out of place, it builds the character of the person talked about in the concept part of the album. It's the warrior remembering his love back home while he slays the dragon that killed/wounded her father. but, music wise, it is different from the rest of the album.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Dragon235 wrote:
Had to move this Steve, sorry didn't fit in the parameters ;)

but, one great review, and i have to agree the last few songs do stray from the storyline a little bit. can't believe you didn't like H.M.J. tho! that is a killer tune imo! though, the points you make about are true and i see where you're comming from.

"Losing You", I second as one of the best ballads of all time.
but, it isn't really out of place, it builds the character of the person talked about in the concept part of the album. It's the warrior remembering his love back home while he slays the dragon that killed/wounded her father. but, music wise, it is different from the rest of the album.

There was a theme? :shock: :wink:

Yep, this one went from being a tight, coherent album and just sort of drifted off-course a bit towards the end... Pretty good stuff, for the most part, though...

:BB Steve

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:22 am 
yea, especially when do take into account it is their first album.

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Dream Evil: DragonSlayer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 pm 
Bill, when you finally listen to this let us know what you think here.

Just hope HMJ doesn't see that score you gave his tune, Steve :shock:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:45 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Dragon235 wrote:
Bill, when you finally listen to this let us know what you think here.

Just hope HMJ doesn't see that score you gave his tune, Steve :shock:

I don't sweat him... :lol:

:BB Truth Hurts

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 am 
:lmao:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:43 pm 
Favorite Band: Dream Evil
Whoa this an old post... Waitaminnut...
RockHard wrote:
10.) H.M.J. [2:46]: A little groove thing happening on this one... This tune fits perfectly with Heavy Metal in the Night, same 80's metal feel... The lyrics are way too simplistic, however... "Heavy Metal Jesus"? Trying a bit too hard, maybe? Rating: 4/10

*Ahem*

YOU'RE FIRED!

Heavy Metal Thunder Striking Jesus

Listen to what I say And what I say is right You see I rule the night

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:05 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
I liked what I heard of it, but had to pull it out of the car before multiple listens because all my Scorpions CDs came in and nostalgia got ahold of me. :oops:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:52 am 
:roll:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:54 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
Dragon235 wrote:
:roll:

Gott in Himmel. The Scorpions is der uber-band!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
heavymetaljesus wrote:
*Ahem*

YOU'RE FIRED!

You can't fire me... because I quit! :evil:

Eh... who am I kidding? Nobody else is crazy enough to do this job... :roll:

:lol:

:BB The Last In Line

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:08 am 
Favorite Band: Dream Evil
RockHard wrote:
heavymetaljesus wrote:
*Ahem*

YOU'RE FIRED!

You can't fire me... because I quit! :evil:

Eh... who am I kidding? Nobody else is crazy enough to do this job... :roll:

:lol:

:BB The Last In Line

I just may be :cookie2: Oops sorry about that I just love cookies :slobber:
Wait. Where am I again?
Little Crazy

Listen to what I say And what I say is right You see I rule the night

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 am 
:headsmack:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:18 pm 
Favorite Band: Queensryche, Rush, Ratt, Jorn, Kamelot
Cookies kick ass! oh wait.....

Also to be on subject, this album gives me wood. :mrgreen:

RockHard wrote:
You will take the tinnitus that the music gives you to your grave... no such luck with the money, my friend.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top