Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Ruthless: Discipline Of Steel/Metal Without Mercy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am 
Metal God
Favorite Band: Queensryche?
aaaaand "Phht! you were gone."

Maybe if you could add some of Rob Halfod's Hell Bent For Leather outfit to the dancing Bill avi folks wouldn't run off so fast. :lol:

Hey Todd. Welcome to the board.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:12 pm 
Favorite Band: Judas Priest
Thanks!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Toddster wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the site and was just cruising though when I saw this post. First, thanks for the kind words and compliments. Second I would like to clear up a possible missunderstanding. The reason Bob's name isnt on the drum credits for metal without mercy (or most recently metal without mercy +6) is he didnt play on them. I did. Not to take anything away from Bob, he's an outstanding drummer and a friend, but I played on metal without mercy and metal plus six with the exception of two songs from +6 (white death and winds of war) which were played by Briant Scott. Thanks again for the kind words and Im sure the inconsistency was unintentional and just a missunderstanding.

Hey Todd... Welcome aboard! :B

It looks like we've got a knack for attracting Ruthless drummers around here... :lol:

Apologies for the misunderstanding in my original review, but after having spoken with Bob a bit at the time, I was under the impression that he did some of the work on the EP. I'm sure the mistake was indeed mine, though.

I hope that the review did the albums justice. I buy and listen to a lot of "new" (and "not-so-new") music, and I can recall being very impressed by this CD (Six years ago... WOW! Have we really been around that long? :shock:). It still gets some play time around here, which is pretty tall praise considering the volume of stuff that hits my mailbox sometimes.

Any recollections or road stories from those days you'd care to share? We all love the music here, but it's not too often that we get to hear the info first-hand from the folks that helped make it.

:BB Steve

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:11 pm 
I really appreciate the kind words. I would have rather had money.....kidding! Sort of....
The effect you mentioned in the intro to gates of hell wasnt back masking it was actually backwards reverb. We had one of those old timey reverb machines that you could turn over like a record and play it backwards to get that effect. You dont see them much anymore.
I didnt use a trianlge in the intro you mentioned cause I didnt have one and getting one would have meant less in the alcohol budget so that was out. I used the bell of a cymbal and we tweaked it a bit to sound smaller and tinnier. And your right. I was tired after The fever. I allways hated that song cause Im fat and lazy and really didnt like doing it nine times to get it right.
On a more somber note, it's my understanding that Ruthless is no more. At least for a while. The reason behind it is alcohol. Someone in the band whom I will not name had a big fight with other band members after imbibing too much at a party. Sam, Ken and I are still friends even though I dont play anymore and I was in attendance at said party. and left just before the fight. Im old and wise enough I saw it coming and fled like a coward! Good thing too cause it was reportedly a real donnybrook. This was not a first for this individual but simply the last straw. Going onstage drunk was also a habit and was especially prevalant at the Saxon show but i also saw evidence of it at the Accept show as well. Again the individual will not be named. But he knows who he is.
Thanks again for awesome review and if you want I'll get you (and anyone else who wants em) copies of the new mix of metal without mercy with four new unreleased songs on it. I have mixed feelings about it. I LOVE the new drum sound they gave me. You can finally hear my kick drums. However. there's usually a reason songs dont get released in the first place. It aint cause you friggin lost em like your favourite socks or anything. It's usually cause they suck. I'll let you decide if you want to give it a listen. :D

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm 
Ok. Since you asked, you get it. Funny stories form the road! I have alluded (in other threads and forums) to having partaken of certain chemicals with Jack Russell. Here's the story behind that! Some of the details are a bit fuzzy, cause I was too, but I digress. Ruthles actually goes back to the late seventies with a completely different line up with the exception of Rollin Legman. He was the only founding member left. We played with Great White a number of times locally at clubs and such when they were known as Dante Fox. We played with Ratt a bunch too! We used to tear down or staple over each others fliers while trying to advertise on telephone poles and bill boards and such. We had s history together. Not close but we knew one another.
1984 now I think, maybe 83, Ruthless is playing the old waters club in San Pedro and Im trolling through the club before the show and this guy calls out to me from the line at the door. It's Jack. We say our hellos and I ask about his tour with Priest and we shoot the shit for a bit and he gets me to bring him backstage and bypass the line, of coarse! Cheap fucker! Anyway we go backstage and, being the host I sort of feel obligated to share some of my um....allergy medicine...yeah...that's it allergy medicine, with him. I figure he's a big star now, touring with Judas Priest so He'll reciprocate later right? Well we plow through about a gram of my "allergy medicine". (thats my story and im sticking to it) with nothing forethcoming when the founding member of Ruthless Mike Bailey (now guitar player for legendary former punk front man for the Angry Somoans Jeff Dahl's powertrip) sticks his head backstage and says "hey Todd! You know that opening band?" You need to come and see this" they're about to die!" " The guitar player just came out onstage in a pink tutu and the crowds gonna kill em!" This should be fucking funny so out I go and sure enough, some local bands guitar player is wearing a fucking tutu! Pink and all and the crowd looks like they're gonna eat him and not in the good way.Not liking the sight of blood I go backstage only to find Jack Gone and the mirror cleaner than the day it was made. Cheap ass rockstar motherfucker , I think to myself. Mike Bailey comes back in and says, ya know that fuckin opening band? Theyre the prettiest guys I've ever seen! If they had tits I'd FUCK EM!" " They suck though!"
The Band??? Poison!!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:24 pm 
I was at the Scarred show at Malone's in Santa Ana last night to see Sammi D (Ruthless, Scarred etc) and in talking with Sam I think I found our missunderstanding. Bob Guiterau, Not Bryant Scott played on Winds of war and White Death which were included in one of the many re-issues of Metal without Mercy and did indeed get fucked over on the album credits! I know that for a fact since it's sitting here in front of me and his name is nowhere on it, despite the fact I did not play on those songs. Kudos to Bob for his drumming on the record and it's no surprise there is some confusioon as I was confused as well and I was in the freaking band! Maybe we did too many Chemicals back in the day!! Sorry!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
What is it with people? I get negative reactions when I wear my pink tutu too.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:05 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Toddster wrote:
I really appreciate the kind words. I would have rather had money.....kidding! Sort of....
The effect you mentioned in the intro to gates of hell wasnt back masking it was actually backwards reverb. We had one of those old timey reverb machines that you could turn over like a record and play it backwards to get that effect. You dont see them much anymore.
I didnt use a trianlge in the intro you mentioned cause I didnt have one and getting one would have meant less in the alcohol budget so that was out. I used the bell of a cymbal and we tweaked it a bit to sound smaller and tinnier. And your right. I was tired after The fever. I allways hated that song cause Im fat and lazy and really didnt like doing it nine times to get it right.

Great info, Todd. I think they called the tape machine EchoVerbs, didn't they? I always wanted one to play around with one of those, but there are so few surviving these days, even broken ones go for a small fortune.

Besides being a half-assed wannabe guitarist, I was an electronics technician in my Navy days, so I was even been tempted to grab a broken one to try to fix... Good thing I didn't, because I hardly ever have time to sit down and play as it is.

Like I said earlier, we don't get too many opportunities to talk to musicians that have recorded albums at this level, so I appreciate the info and stories from the studio. I always find it interesting to hear how a particular sound or effect was achieved... Then, when you hear it on the album, you can listen with that perspective. :B

Toddster wrote:
On a more somber note, it's my understanding that Ruthless is no more. At least for a while. The reason behind it is alcohol. Someone in the band whom I will not name had a big fight with other band members after imbibing too much at a party. Sam, Ken and I are still friends even though I dont play anymore and I was in attendance at said party. and left just before the fight. Im old and wise enough I saw it coming and fled like a coward! Good thing too cause it was reportedly a real donnybrook. This was not a first for this individual but simply the last straw. Going onstage drunk was also a habit and was especially prevalant at the Saxon show but i also saw evidence of it at the Accept show as well. Again the individual will not be named. But he knows who he is.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I know that Bob was coming over to mention the shows when the reunion and subsequent tour dates first started happening. He sounded like a guy getting a second chance... I guess the first time through, it's easy to take "the ride" for granted... and now that he's a little older and wiser, he was going to take the opportunity to really enjoy doing shows and meeting fans. It's too bad that it had to end that way... but as we all know, some people never grow up. It's just a shame for the other band members and the fans who would have gotten to see a great band do some hard-rockin' classics.

Sounds like you definitely did the smart thing. I think we're all getting a little too old for the drunken party fight... and at that point, nothing good is going to come out of standing in there and taking a swing... unless you happen to use mugshots as promo glossies. :lol:

Toddster wrote:
Thanks again for awesome review and if you want I'll get you (and anyone else who wants em) copies of the new mix of metal without mercy with four new unreleased songs on it. I have mixed feelings about it. I LOVE the new drum sound they gave me. You can finally hear my kick drums. However. there's usually a reason songs dont get released in the first place. It aint cause you friggin lost em like your favourite socks or anything. It's usually cause they suck. I'll let you decide if you want to give it a listen. :D

That'd be excellent. I'd love a copy. I'm a big demo/outtake bonus track guy (which isn't very good for the wallet in the remaster era :lol:). I love to hear songs in different forms, mixes and stages of development. If they're not as good, it makes you appreciate the original that much more. If they're better, it's an improvement on songs you already know you like. A definite "no-lose" proposition in my book. :tup

If the offer is still good, just shoot me a PM the next time you're on and I'll send you my address. I'll also be happy to reimburse you for the cost of the disc and S&H. :B

Toddster wrote:
Ok. Since you asked, you get it. Funny stories form the road! I have alluded (in other threads and forums) to having partaken of certain chemicals with Jack Russell. Here's the story behind that! Some of the details are a bit fuzzy, cause I was too, but I digress. Ruthles actually goes back to the late seventies with a completely different line up with the exception of Rollin Legman. He was the only founding member left. We played with Great White a number of times locally at clubs and such when they were known as Dante Fox. We played with Ratt a bunch too! We used to tear down or staple over each others fliers while trying to advertise on telephone poles and bill boards and such. We had s history together. Not close but we knew one another.
1984 now I think, maybe 83, Ruthless is playing the old waters club in San Pedro and Im trolling through the club before the show and this guy calls out to me from the line at the door. It's Jack. We say our hellos and I ask about his tour with Priest and we shoot the shit for a bit and he gets me to bring him backstage and bypass the line, of coarse! Cheap fucker! Anyway we go backstage and, being the host I sort of feel obligated to share some of my um....allergy medicine...yeah...that's it allergy medicine, with him. I figure he's a big star now, touring with Judas Priest so He'll reciprocate later right? Well we plow through about a gram of my "allergy medicine". (thats my story and im sticking to it) with nothing forethcoming when the founding member of Ruthless Mike Bailey (now guitar player for legendary former punk front man for the Angry Somoans Jeff Dahl's powertrip) sticks his head backstage and says "hey Todd! You know that opening band?" You need to come and see this" they're about to die!" " The guitar player just came out onstage in a pink tutu and the crowds gonna kill em!" This should be fucking funny so out I go and sure enough, some local bands guitar player is wearing a fucking tutu! Pink and all and the crowd looks like they're gonna eat him and not in the good way.Not liking the sight of blood I go backstage only to find Jack Gone and the mirror cleaner than the day it was made. Cheap ass rockstar motherfucker , I think to myself. Mike Bailey comes back in and says, ya know that fuckin opening band? Theyre the prettiest guys I've ever seen! If they had tits I'd FUCK EM!" " They suck though!"
The Band??? Poison!!

That's hilarious! :lol:

I knew Jack was a piece of work from way back... and those are the kinds of stories you just couldn't get in "Metal Edge." :lol:

As for Poison, I'm getting a kick out of the recent interviews about Slash trying out for them... I've been tempted to go over to BlabberMouth and post a bounty on any "lipstick and eye-liner" glamor shots. :lmao:

Oh, and even though some of us might have different "medications"... I think most of us have our allergies. In my case, I think I was just allergic to sobriety in general for awhile there... :gig:

Toddster wrote:
I was at the Scarred show at Malone's in Santa Ana last night to see Sammi D (Ruthless, Scarred etc) and in talking with Sam I think I found our missunderstanding. Bob Guiterau, Not Bryant Scott played on Winds of war and White Death which were included in one of the many re-issues of Metal without Mercy and did indeed get fucked over on the album credits! I know that for a fact since it's sitting here in front of me and his name is nowhere on it, despite the fact I did not play on those songs. Kudos to Bob for his drumming on the record and it's no surprise there is some confusioon as I was confused as well and I was in the freaking band! Maybe we did too many Chemicals back in the day!! Sorry!

That makes sense... I appreciate the correction, Todd. I was pretty sure that Bob mentioned playing on some songs... You guys probably all recorded demos of a lot of the same songs too... so in the end, I thought that maybe Bob didn't realize that they didn't use his drum tracks or rerecorded them later. Glad to hear that he did have some of his work represented on the album, even if he didn't get credit on the liner notes.

In the end, after listening to the whole CD (LP and EP), I think that all three drummers did an excellent job... and it's one of the main reasons those songs sound as solid as they do. A powerful rhythm section is more than half the battle in metal... and even the best lead guitarists and vocalists can't make a song rock if the rhythm isn't up to snuff.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:14 am 
The Lord of Destruction
REVIEW PART DEUX:

I just wanted to take a few minutes to talk about the EP reissue that Todd was kind enough to send my way. With work, I didn't have time to listen to it right away, but I've made a point of giving it a couple of spins over this week so that I could break my self-imposed "no more long-winded reviews" rule and give my two-cents:

For starters, the songs from the original EP are present in all their glory. The only real difference is the sound quality. As I mentioned in the original review, I thought the EP had pretty damn good sound to start with. That said, it sounds even better now. It has a bit more volume/gain (but not that maxed-out, overdriven Metallica gain). I think the songs have just a bit more brightness and presence, and the drums have a bit more punch... not that the message wasn't getting across the first time. :twisted:

In the end, if you have a decent-sounding copy of the EP, I wouldn't tell anyone to go out and get the remaster... unless you happened to want 6 more great Ruthless tunes, that is. 8)

The first two songs were recorded in LA back in '88 (two years after the LP was released)... The first tune, White Death would have fit in pretty nicely on the LP, I think. It's a great pounding mid-tempo rocker. That said, I liked The Winds Of Death even better. It takes off and smacks you around with driving bass lines, double-barrel drums and screaming, pissed-off guitar fills and solos. In fact, I'd say it bears some striking similarities to Sabbath's Heaven & Hell (especially the bass line) with a little less atmosphere, but more aggression.

The "last" four tunes were recorded in Irvine, CA back in '82 (which means they predated the EP by two years)... The first song, Losing Control is a very catchy fast rocker with a great riff and a smokin' solo, not to mention some huge Ron Keel-like screams from the abyss. It's a tad more hard rock than their usual metal fare, but it's still got plenty of beef and no filler. Flaming Eyes is a little more slow-paced and pounding and sounds more like their later material. It kind of drifts between several different themes and speeds, which means that it isn't really the most cohesive song (it is a demo after all), but even as is, it's an excellent listen. I wouldn't skip it, which you all know is fairly high praise from me. The Executioner, on the other hand, is a straight-on, hammer-fisted growler. The first two will make you bang your head... but this one will run you clean the f**k over (which is also high praise from an old 'banger like me :lol:). Great break in the middle too... It lasts just long enough to catch your breath before they back over your ass. :lmao: And last, but not least, we have Fear Of Evil, which actually proves that the distortion wasn't welded directly onto the guitar after all... well, for the intro anyway. :wink: Don't worry, business picks up again quickly... and they're drilling into your skull with the riffs and ungodly growls, howls and screams again. Another excellent tune with some extra-tasty instrumental breaks thrown in for good measure. :twisted:

Todd and I traded a few PMs about this disc before I had a chance to listen to it. I don't think he'll mind me sharing a bit of his insight since the review is now complete (at least, I hope not):

Toddster wrote:
The re-mix is actually good. They brightened it up some and I like the new drum sound. Winds of war and white death sound the same to me. The four "new" songs however were not recored with the Metal without mercy stuff. They were done long before in another studio and with producers other than Bill Metoyer. The producer and our management at the time it was done were trying to turn us into some kind of Def Leppard band (like trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse if you ask me lol) and were doing anything they could imho to steer us away from making really heavy music, including sabotaging us in the studio. With the exception of losing control all the songs we chose for the sessions were really heavy and dark and they hated it and were allways trying to get us to put harmonies and backing vocals and even trying to remove drum fills like I was Ringo or some such, if you can believe that. We allways felt they were unusable tracks but here thay are anyway for reasons unknown to me!!

Frankly, that scared the crap out of me a bit. :lol: You guys know that I normally only reviewed stuff I liked unless there was a specific reason to review something I didn't (like a request or a big new release). I certainly wasn't going to get on here and lie about a disc I didn't like just to spare Todd's (or Bob's) feelings, but at the same time, I don't want to have to come on here and shit all over someone's hard work, blood, sweat and tears either. Fortunately, I didn't have to. I half-expected some Poison-sounding polished-up BS or some really butchered up mixing on a patchwork of sub-par songs. :x I was friggin' thrilled when I found myself listening to the "new" tunes and enjoying them like I did with the EP and LP. 8)

On another thread (I think "Currently Listening"), I couldn't help but mention that I disagreed with Todd on his take, and his post above is what I was referring to. I can understand the pressure the band was under in the studio, but none of that came through on the songs themselves. They are all HEAVY. The musicianship is excellent, and the songs are rock solid. Their management didn't accomplish a damn thing as far as pulling the band back... These songs were basically ready for release as is. I sure wouldn't have felt ripped off buying these at Record World back in '82. In fact, I'd have been back in the store the next day all up poor Jimmy's ass asking him if these guys had any other material he could order me and then pedaled my ass back home to give the album another spin with my buddies.

In fact, that's how I found a lot of bands... like Twisted Sister, for example. Go find a copy of the "Ruff Cutts" EP somewhere... and good luck. I still have mine. :mrgreen:

The same goes for the other two non-EP/LP songs. Stick 'em on a 45, and my biggest problem would have been which side to listen to again next... and that's a pretty good problem to have in my book. :tup

As I mentioned before, it's always excellent to get the perspective of the guys who actually were involved in making the music. You get to hear the artist's perspective on the music and what was going on at the time that helped influence the songs and the sound. That said, I think you're been too critical of your own material, Todd. Perhaps the original mix was a bit more polished or too bright... I don't know. What I do know is that as they are here, I think they're all good to go and then some. Other than Flaming Eyes (which I might have pruned down a bit into a more cohesive package, but even that's nit-picking), I think every one of these songs was ready to go... and I think any Ruthless fan would have been happy to hear them back then. I'm also sure they're thrilled to be hearing them now. I know I am. :tup

Anyway... The EP remaster and bonus tracks get a big fat: :B :B :B :B :B

PS ~ And since I'm already breaking my "no more reviews" rules, I went ahead and got myself some backup to prove that I wasn't alone in my take: :wink:

Sleaze Roxx: Ruthless Re-Release 'Metal Without Mercy' With Bonus Tracks

PPS ~ BTW Todd... I almost forgot. I just went and put my Ruthless discs back on the Wall o' Fame, and I just noticed that they just happen to sit right next to Jack Russell's solo disc. Considering your story about Jack earlier in the thread, I thought you'd get a kick out of that. :lol: :B

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 pm 
Steve,
Thanks again for the kind words. Thanks especially for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review 25 year old music! No doubt I do get a bit too critical of my own stuff. My old drum tech used to ask why I couldnt bear to listen to the records after we made em and I told him all I could ever hear were imperfections, mistakes and stuff I wanted to change. He still didnt get it, so I point ed a few mistakes and such out to him. About a week later he came up all pissed off saying " thanks a lot! Now I cant listen to it either after you pointed that shit out! "It's all I can hear!!"LOL! Most musicians are at least a little OCD about their stuff. It's why we like to hear how great everyone else thinks we are! I guess I just dont much like the old/new songs because I knew what was going on behind the scenes. Also there were more songs recorded than what you heard on the new release. The ones we put on there were just the best of the bunch. The reason they were never released was our managment at the time didnt like them. Small wonder as they put half of our recording budget up their noses and were probably looking for en excuse to ask for more.

By the time we signed with a record label and got ready to go into the studio again, we had newer material and Kenny, Sam and Rolland were really beginning to gell as song writers. The old stuf was stuck in a closet somewhere and I never heard it again until recently. Feel free to share it with whomever is interested in it. Make copies, give it away, no one cares as the band gets nothing for whatever it makes. Were just happy someone still wants to listen to it.
As for putting us next to Jack Russells stuff, I can only say Im going to check every once in a while to make sure the white lines in the liner notes are still there!!!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Toddster wrote:
Steve,
Thanks again for the kind words. Thanks especially for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review 25 year old music! No doubt I do get a bit too critical of my own stuff. My old drum tech used to ask why I couldnt bear to listen to the records after we made em and I told him all I could ever hear were imperfections, mistakes and stuff I wanted to change. He still didnt get it, so I point ed a few mistakes and such out to him. About a week later he came up all pissed off saying " thanks a lot! Now I cant listen to it either after you pointed that shit out! "It's all I can hear!!"LOL! Most musicians are at least a little OCD about their stuff. It's why we like to hear how great everyone else thinks we are! I guess I just dont much like the old/new songs because I knew what was going on behind the scenes. Also there were more songs recorded than what you heard on the new release. The ones we put on there were just the best of the bunch. The reason they were never released was our managment at the time didnt like them. Small wonder as they put half of our recording budget up their noses and were probably looking for en excuse to ask for more.

I'm glad you liked the review, Todd. We used to feature them as a regular part of the forum, but since the membership has declined so much as a result of social media (and probably my highly-opinionated babble as well :lol:), there just isn't enough interest left to justify the time to write them. That said, I was happy to write this one. These tunes are right in the wheelhouse for several our members, but aren't as well known as they should be. Anything I can do to turn people on to some of the bands that put out quality tunes but didn't get the accolades they deserved at the time is time well spent in my book. :B

I can certainly understand the frustration behind the scenes, especially for a band just trying to get some music out there in an industry designed to use your work for their gain. It really is a shame... but fortunately, that model is pretty well over with... and many artists are now able to make a direct connection to potential fans without having to rely on companies that intend to rip them off.

As for the imperfections... I certainly see your point about hearing it in your own music, but I tend to be pretty old school in my taste in music. I'll take the raw feel of a good rock tune delivered with attitude and passion over a spit-shined, over-produced, polished-to-a-high-gloss product any day. I personally didn't notice any glaring flaws in the musicianship, although there are certainly a couple of transitions that might have been done a little better (most notably on Flaming Eyes), but it's a pretty easy thing to look past, especially since these were clearly marked as demos. I didn't want or expect a perfect product... I wanted to hear the raw idea delivered with enough fire and brimstone to get me (or a record company exec) interested enough to hear more. I don't know about the execs, but I certainly feel that I got more than I was promised. As I said in my review... I think almost all of this music was good to go without twisting another knob, re-recording any of the tracks or adding any overdubs.

Toddster wrote:
By the time we signed with a record label and got ready to go into the studio again, we had newer material and Kenny, Sam and Rolland were really beginning to gell as song writers. The old stuf was stuck in a closet somewhere and I never heard it again until recently. Feel free to share it with whomever is interested in it. Make copies, give it away, no one cares as the band gets nothing for whatever it makes. Were just happy someone still wants to listen to it.

Much appreciated, Todd. We actually have a Media Player on the site... I wanted to put some of these tunes in there so the other members can check them out, but unfortunately, I no longer have access to the FTP connection I need to put new music in. I have been trying to get the site owner to rebuild my access on our new server, but he apparently doesn't answer the bat signal unless the site is in the process of burning to the ground. :lol:

If I do get a response from him in the future, though... I will definitely load up some tunes for the crew here to enjoy. :B

Toddster wrote:
As for putting us next to Jack Russells stuff, I can only say Im going to check every once in a while to make sure the white lines in the liner notes are still there!!!

:lol:

Yep. Unfortunately, I know Jack isn't above a little "dressing room burglary"... If he keeps acting up, I'll have to take him off the Wall o' Fame for a little rehab/"time out"... :gig:

Thanks again for the CD, brother. It's an excellent listen... and I've been cranking them up ever since the first spin. :B

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm 
Just a littel update!
There will be a new Ruthless, with Dave Watson (Hirax) on guitar, a new drummer and a new album coming out. Time will tell but it looks good so far.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:49 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Toddster wrote:
Just a littel update!
There will be a new Ruthless, with Dave Watson (Hirax) on guitar, a new drummer and a new album coming out. Time will tell but it looks good so far.

Bob didn't sign on? I know biz is biz, but I had to ask... He used to be a regular here before the site died. I would have never found/reviewed/worshiped the original releases had it not been for Big Bob G.

Either way... Let us know how it goes.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
While Bob and I are friendly, we are not close. Bob has been clean and sober now for 8 months and doing well. I dont think he would mind my sharing that with you all. In speaking with Sam however, I'm pretty sure Bob is back with Dark Angel and busy playing with them. Additionally, although no one has said so, I get the impression there was just too much bad blood and bad memories on both sides for Bob to continue with the band.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:43 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Toddster wrote:
While Bob and I are friendly, we are not close. Bob has been clean and sober now for 8 months and doing well. I dont think he would mind my sharing that with you all. In speaking with Sam however, I'm pretty sure Bob is back with Dark Angel and busy playing with them. Additionally, although no one has said so, I get the impression there was just too much bad blood and bad memories on both sides for Bob to continue with the band.

I'm still FB friends with Bob... I've seen a few posts from him about his new-found sobriety. I think it's great, personally, especially if it was interfering with his personal and/or professional life. I wish him the best.

It's also good that Bob and the current lineup of Ruthless have both moved on and are still out there playing live and possibly even working on new music. Sometimes, it's better for everyone involved to just let it go, and I've never seen Bob say an unkind word about the rest of the band (or vice versa). I always hate to see it when great musicians end up acting like a bunch of children and start slinging sh*t across FB, Twitter and BlabberMouth (Great White and Queensrÿche come to mind). It doesn't accomplish anything, and it just ends up pissing off the fans. Glad to see that hasn't happened here.

Be sure to shout back with any new dates or releases. :B

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline

Topic Top