Login |  Register

Post subject: Dark Shadows (film) Review
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
I don't look at Tim Burton's film adaptation of Dark Shadows as a failed experiment, but rather a strange hybrid that never had a chance of succeeding in the first place. Dark Shadows was originally a soap opera that ran from 1966 to 1971. It featured ghosts, vampires, time travel and many other sorts of weirdness in straight-playing, non-ironic episodes. Looking back on the dated program today would surely introduce the element of campiness that often comes from viewing older programs. So how do you take a tv soap opera that took itself completely seriously and change it into the finite genre of motion pictures and retain said seriousness? I'm not sure if it's possible, and apparently neither was Tim Burton. So he decided to combine all of these elements into his adaptation: soap-opera style writing, the scariness of the super-natural, the campiness of dated material, and the time period of the early 70s.

The screenplay could be a season of Dallas. It is more soap-opera-like than epic, although it was boosted enough to play on the big screen. If the budget was lower, and the story stretched out, it could easily have been a story arc in some prime time television program.

Burton also brought the spookies; vampires, ghosts, and other things I won't mention so as to not spoil the film for others. Sometimes they are violent, sometimes humorous, and sometimes campy. Again, combining all of these elements would be something you would see in a longer running tv show. Think Firefly, for those of you familiar with it. It could be serious, funny, adventurous, etc. based on the need of the story. That works fine for long running dramas but comes across as a mish-mash when forced into an hour and a half film. The movie comes across as unfocused because of all the elements it tries to throw in.

I would recommend this movie for purchase only if you are a big fan of Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and Alice Cooper. I am so I bought it. If you aren't, you may go for the rental. Johnny Depp is remarkably likable as Barnabas Collins and the back-story revealed during Alice Cooper's rendition of The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is divine. It's interesting as a motion picture oddity. A film that probably should have been a television series reboot instead.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Dark Shadows (film) Review
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
I will probably watch this since it's a comedy.

Barnabus Collins in the greatest vampire of all time and can only be played by Jonathon Frid.

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:02 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
nappy2112 wrote:

Barnabus Collins in the greatest vampire of all time and can only be played by Jonathon Frid.

Like I mentioned, it's only part comedy. I think. Shit, you watch it and tell me what it is. :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
By the way, the complete run of Dark Shadows is now available on DVD in a big old coffin box.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm 
Registered Rushaholic
bildo wrote:
nappy2112 wrote:

Like I mentioned, it's only part comedy. I think. Shit, you watch it and tell me what it is. :lol:

Watched it the other day and it was mildly entertaining.

ImageImageImageImage

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:28 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Loved The Ballad Of Dwight Fry part.

Profile  Offline

Topic Top