Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deep Purple news
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm 
Favorite Band: Judas Priest
Agreed. It's also my constant hope that Blackmore will come out of the woods and leave Frodo and Bilbo behind and once again play some real music instead of that Tolkeinesque crap his Wiccan wife apparently makes him play. She must be either a hell of a piece of ass or a great spell caster or both. Damn!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:12 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
Favorite Band: Pinkmaiden Rainsabbath Zeppepriest
Toddster wrote:
Agreed. It's also my constant hope that Blackmore will come out of the woods and leave Frodo and Bilbo behind and once again play some real music instead of that Tolkeinesque crap his Wiccan wife apparently makes him play. She must be either a hell of a piece of ass or a great spell caster or both. Damn!

Yep... Personally, I still think it's the magic vagina. :gig:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."
~ John Lennon (RIP)

"Don't get cute... Don't get funny now... It's later than you think..."
~ Greg Kihn

"As we celebrate mediocrity... all the boys upstairs wanna see...
How much you'll pay... for what you used to get for free..."

~ Tom Petty

"I think you'd better ask yourself... before you criticize me...
Are you a victim of the System... or the Powers-That-Be?
If there was nothing to gain... would you do it for free?"

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."
~ Rod Stewart (The Faces)

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

"Rock hard... Ride free... All your life..."
~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Favorite Band: The Electric Mayhem
Facebook: sucks royal ass!
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one again. We had a similar discussion before about what musical artists owe their fan. I'm glad that Ritchie's happy doing what he does, that he can "pay his bills," and it would be sweet to finally see somebody noteworthy not show up to be inducted instead of just talking about it.

I said 'noteworthy' so not Axl.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
RockHard wrote:
Toddster wrote:

:hooters: LOL! Now that I think about it, I've been mezmerized into doing stupid stuff a few times myself by that ol spell!!!
Bildo,
It's obvious to me by your subtle name change that you and your cousin Frodo are the ones responsible for Ritchies's being gone. Of coarse you would say that! :P

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Toddster wrote:
RockHard wrote:
Toddster wrote:

:hooters: LOL! Now that I think about it, I've been mezmerized into doing stupid stuff a few times myself by that ol spell!!!
Bildo,
It's obvious to me by your subtle name change that you and your cousin Frodo are the ones responsible for Ritchies's being gone. Of coarse you would say that! :P

One does not simply walk into Candice Night...

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:35 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one again. We had a similar discussion before about what musical artists owe their fan. I'm glad that Ritchie's happy doing what he does, that he can "pay his bills," and it would be sweet to finally see somebody noteworthy not show up to be inducted instead of just talking about it.

If he wants to keep doing his thing, I can't stop him. All I can do is give my opinion as a long-time fan (as in, since I was like 7 years old). Obviously, it's not a money thing for him... A DP reunion with one of the classic line-ups would fetch a fortune on today's market (especially in the short-run Sabbath, Zeppelin) style... and they are one of the few bands with enough remaining members of that era living to make it credible (RIP Mr. Lord).

As far as the boycott goes... You'd be hard-pressed to get a more influential artist to snub them... if you're talking about Johnny Rotten. There's a reason DP isn't in there with their contemporaries. Too much drama... the music was inconsistent... Blackmore was a whining bitch, even in the 70s... etc. You'd think they'd be a shoe-in with all the classics they've done, but they also were world-famous for their inconsistency and bullshit.

I personally like almost all of their material... but most people think Deep Purple died when Coverdale joined the band.

Toddster wrote:
RockHard wrote:

You and me both, brother... and let's face it, the pussy rarely turns out to be all that magical when you sober up. :shock:

:lol:

Toddster wrote:
Bildo,

You tell 'em, dude. Wait till he starts talking about his magic elf boots. :gig:

:BB "Come Taste The Band"

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

"I was glad to come... I'll be sad to go... So while I'm here... I'll have me a real good time..."

"The earth can shake... The sky come down... The mountains all... fall to the ground...
But I will fear... none of these things... Shelter me, Lord... underneath your wings..."

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:17 pm 
:gig:

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
One does not simply walk into the 80's Metal Server...
:shitstep: -Well, I just did!

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:06 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
One does not simply walk into the 80's Metal Server...
:shitstep: -Well, I just did!

That post stunk, dude.

Wait. It was your shoe.

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Leslie Wilson Jr. of GulfNews.com's Tabloid! recently conducted an interview with DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

GulfNews.com: How do you keep up the enthusiasm and energy over the tours and the years? What's the secret?

Gillan: Well, I don't really know. We never planned this far ahead. Possibly it's the way we set ourselves up in the beginning. We had no ambition, except to make the band as good as possible. Every street where I lived in the south of England had a band, so you try and steal the guitar player or the drummer from the band in the next street, just to improve your own band and all we cared about was just playing music that we loved. We didn't give much thought to image. In fact, we don't have a publicist — never had one — and we never [gave] thought to the normal business things. So there's a basic simplicity to the ethos of the band which has survived and I don't think it's changed in any way. The music's kinda matured with us — it's grown up a little bit, I suppose — but it's still got all the energy and enthusiasm that we had as kids. Apart from that, I couldn't answer your question because I'm too close to it. All I know is that it's full of energy and we still love it.

GulfNews.com: You have been screaming rock music for over 40 years. How do you do it?

Gillan: I think it's quite natural, I do a lot of it, and so I keep myself fairly fit. My mates who were singers they quit to enjoy their success or raise families and they didn't continue. Then they tried to come back years later but it was very difficult because vocal cords, unlike guitar strings, are unforgiving, you can't change them. So I think I've been singing all my life, and therefore I'm pretty match-fit, so to speak. Most things are within my scope, I sing pretty naturally so it's not a strain, never has been.

GulfNews.com: Befitting the success DEEP PURPLE has achieved, the band has been nominated for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. How much of an honor is this, or is it?

Gillan: [laughs] Without being asked, I was nominated for an MBE a little while ago and I was a bit fed up with these sorts of things and then I rationalized the situation. When I was a kid, the last thing that I wanted was to be institutionalized and sort of fought against the establishment all my life. However, when I had a chance to think about the nomination, I realized I saw people getting excited about it around me and I realized it's for family and friends and it's not for me alone, it's for the people who have supported us all through these years, particularly through the bad times. So I look at it in a different way now, with a certain amount of humility.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
New Deep Purple album due in April 2013 produced by Bob Ezrin

According to Classic Rock magazine, British hard rock legends DEEP PURPLE will release their 19th studio album in April 2013. The CD, which was produced by Bob Ezrin (KISS, PINK FLOYD, PETER GABRIEL, ALICE COOPER, KANSAS) in Nashville, Tennessee, will contain 13 tracks, including "Out Of Hand", "Hell To Pay", "Weirdistan", "Uncommon Man" and "Above And Beyond". The latter song references the band's late keyboard player, Jon Lord, in the lyric "Souls having touched are forever entwined."

Regarding the album title, Gillan offered the following cryptic comment to Classic Rock: "There's a big question mark over the name at the moment. And possibly an exclamation mark as well. You can read what you like into what I've just said. All will become clear — as mud — later on. That's all I'm allowed to say. The question mark and the exclamation mark might get you intrigued."

DEEP PURPLE's 18th studio album, "Rapture of the Deep", was released in November 2005. It was the fourth studio CD from DEEP PURPLE since guitarist Steve Morse joined the band in 1994. It was also the second album to feature veteran keyboardist Don Airey.

"Rapture of the Deep" was produced by Mike Bradford, who also worked on the band's previous release, 2003's "Bananas".

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
Regular updates at the following site:

British hard rock legends DEEP PURPLE will release their 19th studio album on April 26, 2013 via earMUSIC, the Hamburg, Germany-based international rock label which is part of Edel Group.

earMUSIC will reveal details about the new DEEP PURPLE album in real time as soon as they will become available on a dedicated web site where all band members will also be able to post and interact with the fans:
www.deeppurple2013.com

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:59 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
2013 will be a momentous year for DEEP PURPLE. Not only is the band's new album on the way (to be released April 30 via earMusic/Eagle Rock Entertainment), but 10 classic recordings from the DEEP PURPLE cannon will be exhumed, starting with the 2CD/digital release of "Live In Paris 1975" on January 29.

"Live In Paris 1975" has been digitally remixed and re-mastered from the original multi-track recordings, sonically transmitting all the power and electricity of DEEP PURPLE's live stage prowess. Originally released via Purple Records, this historic concert is now presented in stunning, updated audio quality.

Recorded on April 17, 1975 at the Palais des Sports in Paris, this was the very last concert with famed guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who was leaving DEEP PURPLE to form RAINBOW. Blackmore, vocalist David Coverdale, bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes, keyboardist Jon Lord, and drummer Ian Paice roared with strength on such classics as "Burn", "Stormbringer", "Highway Star", "Space Truckin'" and the smash hit "Smoke On The Water". Immersed in high-energy solos and noteworthy improvisations, "Live In Paris 1975" captures a significant moment in time in the band's history, and is essential for any DEEP PURPLE fan.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:03 pm 
The Lord of Destruction
bildo wrote:
2013 will be a momentous year for DEEP PURPLE. Not only is the band's new album on the way (to be released April 30 via earMusic/Eagle Rock Entertainment), but 10 classic recordings from the DEEP PURPLE cannon will be exhumed, starting with the 2CD/digital release of "Live In Paris 1975" on January 29.

This material has been released and re-released... "Live In Paris 1975" was originally released in '01... and parts of "Mk. III: The Final Concerts" and "Made In Europe" came from the same show.

It's good stuff (Coverdale did some serious belting on this one), but I just thought I'd throw out a heads-up for any potential buyers. Ironically, I have "Mk. III" and "Made In Europe," but not the full "Paris 1975" release, so maybe I'll take the plunge when the remaster comes out.

:BB Stormbringer

~ John Lennon (RIP)

~ Greg Kihn

~ Tom Petty

~ Sammy Hagar

~ Buddy Miller

~ Rob Halford

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 am 
Heavy Metal Cyber-Sleuth
100% Rock Magazine recently conducted an interview with DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On late DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord:

"Jon was a great character; wonderful. I mean… you know, he's not been in the band for nearly 10 years but we were still in very close contact. And Jon was kind of like… we all looked up to him. He was there when Roger [Glover, bass] and I joined the band '69 and he had a lot of… he was a fun guy; very bright, great sense of humor but he had gravitas as well.

"When we got the news [that he died], we were in Nashville in session [recording the ne walbum] there and we kind of expected it but it was still a terrible blow. And so it all went quiet for a while, needless to say, and then we started recalling the good times — as you do. His spirit is very much in the record; in the music. In fact I remember writing a line at the time: 'Souls having touched are forever entwined.' And that got into one of the songs and so he's there in the music.

"I don't think he'll ever be away from it, really, because he created the foundation of PURPLE. I mean… there was so many influences coming in but his… a bit of rock and roll, soul, blues, folk music and all that sort of thing, but his input of orchestral composition and jazz were profound, to say the least. We still have that [big Hammond sound] with Don [Airey] and so that lives on. It was unique at the time because it wasn't just that Leslie cabinet with a Hammond, but he also combined it with a Marshall amp as well which had never been done before. And so he had the power as well as the subtlety; a wonderful, wonderful sound."

On the upcoming DEEP PURPLE studio album:

"It's being mixed as we speak. We've finished recording. It's a new tone, it's a new direction, it's fresh stuff. I think it was all written and recorded in Nashville, and the reason we went there — not to make a country record, but because Bob Ezrin, our producer, lives in Nashville and so it made a lot of sense because he had all the studio facilities and back up and everything else. So it made it really easy. It was a great environment to record in, and yeah, there's a bit of diversity on the record. There's some sort of… Defining music is just so hard; it's just really… it's hard to define. If you think of a solo artist, you normally know them by their name; you don't normally describe their kind of music, you just say, 'It's so and so or it's so and so.' But with bands, everyone feels an obligation to categorize then. I think when you've been around the block as many years as PURPLE has and a lot of other bands, you just listen to see what comes out. It's not the same at all. So it's kind of hard for me to describe it. I can't compare it with any other album either, as far as I know. It will obviously find a niche somewhere when it comes out in April, so I'm looking forward to hearing it. [laughs]

Profile  Offline

Topic Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next